GitS Live Action Film News

Talk about the live-action Ghost in the Shell film here
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

GhostLine wrote:New trailer clip, highlighting the Major's reaction to waking up inside her cyberbody.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvMwVivVN20
Whoa. at 0:35. That visual. That is right out of the anime.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

At the 2/28 IMAX event, Paramount apparently showed the first 12 minutes of the film which included the shelling sequence, Major (now known as Major Kira Millian) waking up in her new body, and the robo-geisha rescue scene. According to this article, http://collider.com/ghost-in-the-shell- ... -johansson , the film seems to utilize ma moments which is why Scarlett was chosen.

Freitag, in your video link of visit at WETA, I noticed the unclothed body of the geisha looked a lot like the Locus Solus/ Hans Bellmer design in Innocence. Maybe they are sexaroids.
knave

Post by knave »

Forgive me but what are "ma moments"?
You can find my artwork at:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/krisknave/
Redbubble: http://www.redbubble.com/people/krisknave
Twitter: @krisknave
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

knave wrote:Forgive me but what are "ma moments"?
I'm guessing Ma is Mamoru Oshii who directed the 1995 movie. And the moments are specific scenes that we've seen in the ad campaign for the new movie that look like they are directly adapted from the previous outings.

I'm most decidedly not in love with "Major" being a different person. In all the previous incarnations of the story Motoko was Motoko even when she was Chroma. There were always bits of her showing up. Maybe this is a new S9 origin story and she finally recovers her identity and is who we know her as?
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

knave wrote:Forgive me but what are "ma moments"?
https://wawaza.com/pages/when-less-is-m ... se-ma.html
In ma, I'm referring to the quiet, in-between moments, that you can see in Japanese fillmaking as a result of mindful reflection.
knave

Post by knave »

Freitag wrote:I'm most decidedly not in love with "Major" being a different person. In all the previous incarnations of the story Motoko was Motoko even when she was Chroma.
I couldn't agree more. Even in MMI where Kusanagi uses several bodies, it's very very definitely always Kusanagi. I was coming to terms with the other stuff I didn't like in this film but this is a step too far for me.

I'm getting frustrated because they have the rights to use one of the most unique and interesting characters in anything ever written and they've chosen to mangle her into something totally different, with a very generic, justified rebellion, "I've been wronged so I'm kicking off" brainless Hollywood-tripe storyline for the dribbling masses - I don't know why I expected anything more from Hollywood, more fool me.

Making her name, not rank, "major"? For god's sake, did they ask a drunk 5 year old to come up with that? A few weeks ago I was getting excited about it but now I don't think I can actually watch it at all. So disappointing.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I had a thought the other day. Rather than being a story about Motoko in Section 9, this is RoboCop told in the GitS universe.

There was that one line "She was supposed to have a clean brain" - that's RoboCop to me... https://youtu.be/tRkb1X9ovI4?t=1m52s
knave

Post by knave »

Actually, yes. You are right.

I apologise for ranting in my last post. I'm just so frustrated with what could've been. I appreciate it needs to be "dumbed down" for commercial reasons but they really could've done that and retained the essence, originality and beauty in technology that permeates and defines the rest of the material. They've taken one of the most unique properties and created a generic, vanilla action film out of it, it's a tragedy.

Right, I'll say no more on this because I appreciate there will be some who are looking forward to it (as was I at one point) that don't need the negativity.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

I agree that Hollywood often takes liberties that detract from the source material, especially when it comes to pleasing fans. Pinched between those who are fans and don't like where it's going and those who are upset about the casting of Scarlett, we shall see how it thrives. A lot of people seem down to see it, but I don't know how it is tracking in projections.

Every incarnation of GitS diverges or regurgitates, so those aspects won't bother me. I am interested as to why her name has been changed to Major Mira Killian. But even the manga suggests Kusanangi could be an alias. Oh, I guess we'll see.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

New trailer (special Steve Aoki remix) with some new bits, even Saito, I believe. Not impressed with the remixed soundtrack, but that's me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4iduQkrMaY
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I see two new things in those trailers. Changes from previous ones.

Remember in the early trailers, I think someone here even commented on it, that when she busts through the window she is not using thermoptic camouflage and it kicks in after? In this latest version of the ad she is very much using thermoptic camouflage and you can see the impact with the window disrupts it a little.

The other thing is her suit. Previously it looked very little like skin. It really did imply cyborg and not flesh. But now I see when she fires the gun there is the ripple on the surface that you'd expect from flesh full of collagen. The color is still less than human, but the apparent texture is much more meaty.

I attribute it to the ads being made from early footage and that as the editing gets closer to complete (it's out at the end of the month, it ought to be complete by now!) that they used the more final footage. I bet that costume was pretty uncomfortable to wear - hot and sweaty.
gis11

Post by gis11 »

So I am not a Ghost in the Shell expert or diehard fan (treason, I know) but I am a person who is supposed to do an interview with some of the actors about the film released this month. (Not a troll).

Anyway. What brings me here is this. One of the characters I need to interview about is Dr. Ouelet from the new film. However, I can't find any information about this character anywhere. I have watched the 1995 movie twice and read the first few chapters of the manga and she is not mentioned anywhere. More notably, she is also nowhere to be found online on or on any search engines or fan pages or character profiles. So I figured perhaps someone on this forum would be so kind as to grace me with your vast knowledge and enlighten me as to whom Dr. Ouelet is and if she is actually a real character in the Ghost In The Shell series at all?

I appreciate its a rather strange request. But I would really appreciate any help!
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

gis11 wrote:So I am not a Ghost in the Shell expert or diehard fan (treason, I know) but I am a person who is supposed to do an interview with some of the actors about the film released this month. (Not a troll).

Anyway. What brings me here is this. One of the characters I need to interview about is Dr. Ouelet from the new film. However, I can't find any information about this character anywhere. I have watched the 1995 movie twice and read the first few chapters of the manga and she is not mentioned anywhere. More notably, she is also nowhere to be found online on or on any search engines or fan pages or character profiles. So I figured perhaps someone on this forum would be so kind as to grace me with your vast knowledge and enlighten me as to whom Dr. Ouelet is and if she is actually a real character in the Ghost In The Shell series at all?

I appreciate its a rather strange request. But I would really appreciate any help!
Hi gis11, as far as I know, the Dr. Ouelet character is solely a creation of the new film. In the manga and several animated versions, the Major pretty much exists, without any one person claiming to have created or designed her. There are lab techs in S9 (the red suits) that you see in Standalone Complex and in the manga, but again, no head research doctor that I am aware of. So I can't even say that Ouelet is derivative or a combination of characters.
Does anyone else know further on this?
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Welcome, gis11

Like GhostLine, I too think the character is new. What I would look for though is other depictions of doctors in the series. Doctors in the GitS world are as much mechanics as they are medical.

I'd actually start with Arise - the twins come to mind. Although they are proven to be solidly on Motoko's side in the end they have participated in a massive deception program against her all along.

In the Stand Alone Complex there are a couple of doctors. One that Motoko knows (Missing Hearts is the episode I think) that asks her to look into something odd. And then after Motoko has been beaten up she goes in for a body replacement and the doctor has either been hacked or is ion on something and there is an assassination attempt.

For some reason the movies have not stuck with me as much as the series have.

Good luck on your interview and please to post a link to the published piece when it comes out!

--if I were talking to her (which I'm not, so you don't have to read any more)--
  • I might ask if she was familiar with the material before she got involved with the project. (In one interview, I heard Johansson say that she'd never heard of GitS before she was cast. )
  • Were they encouraged to become familiar with the original stories or were they actively discouraged so they could better portray the directors vision?
  • Does she have any medical experience herself? Does she feel the (medical) tech that is portrayed is reasonable in the near future or as fanciful as time travel?
  • Does she feel that the society portrayed driven by the tech or is the tech still the servant of the people?
  • Is that a world in which she'd want to live?
  • Ouelet is a name with a French origin that is presently quite common in the french speaking areas of Canada. You can always poke the bear and ask why she wasn't Dr. "Kurutan" (is the name whitewashed too?)