A Ghost of Its Own

Discuss the philosophy found in the various incarnations of Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Freitag

A Ghost of Its Own

Post by Freitag »

Here's a new synopsis of some of the philosophy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdhCv8_GdB0

There's even a meta analysis for the whole show as a genre!
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Bit of time since I last logged in but the youtube review led me to pay a visit. Good to see that you saw it too Frietag!
It was a good approach...not trying to answer everything but just clarifying the question. The producer also presented the whole of GitS quite well.
I am relating right now to cyberization to the effect that I myself have been just "genetically modified" and although I feel just fine with issues of self-identity/ghost...it still makes you think.
One of the video commenters discussed how each and every one of our cells die off and are replaced...so that's a big head-scratcher if one is so inclined...but I think it underscores how amazingly special life is.
For clarification...my so-called "genetic modification" is really a clinical trial to see the results of laboratory-altered T-cells (my own) fitted with receptors to recognize antigen markers on cancerous plasma cells(multiple myeloma) and destroy them. CAR-T (Chimeric Antigen Receptor- T-cell). I just got my new T Cells 4 days ago. It's not cyberization but still human tinkering in a major way. But I'm still me!
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I just read a great article about a Nobel prize winning approach to nuking cancer. Lemme see if I can find the story
I've also got a friend that has MGUS (the precursor to multiple myeloma) so I'll let him know about the clinical trial (is there room for more people?)

Found it:
https://www.wired.com/story/meet-jim-al ... akthrough/

TL;DR version: Turns out T-Cells are really complicated (as you're probably learning) and before they kill something they have at least 3 steps that must all be passed or they will leave the thing alone. Some cancers have learned how to screw with one of those steps. The Nobel winning researchers found how to screw with cancer (chemically, but not nasty stuff like chemo) so the T-Cells are back on the job.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.