Deja Vu?

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

miki-chan

Deja Vu?

Post by miki-chan »

Courtesy of Metafilter, a webcomic (which one can also download to one's PSP) with some familiar (?) characters:

http://nyc2123.com/
"Smoke and idiots love high places."--Batou
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

lol i see the resemblence, no more a rip off of GitS than some of the stuff i've put out there so i should just stay quiet about that. :roll: dialougue is cliche heavy too but I like the art style though sort of like a poor man's 'sin city'... well actually it's exactly like 'sin city'... origionality obviously not their strong point..
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

here is a website of one of my fav. artist. someof his work loks very GitSy. http://www.velvethurricane.com.ar/ all his work is handrawn and watercolor.
miki-chan

Post by miki-chan »

no more a rip off of GitS than some of the stuff i've put out there so i should just stay quiet about that.
Ooh, what kind of stuff have you put out there, Elmo? May we see?
here is a website of one of my fav. artist. someof his work loks very GitSy.
Yes, some GitSy-ness...and definitely much NSFW. Whew! (Actually it kinda reminds me of Enki Bilal in places...)
"Smoke and idiots love high places."--Batou
AlphonseVanWorden

Post by AlphonseVanWorden »

I love Enki Bilal's stuff. Nikopol is one of the great science fiction comics.

Enki Bilal (Neil Gaiman has expressed interest in working with Bilal) and Moebius (whose work was exhibited with Miyazaki's at a 2004-2005 show in Paris) rock and are important to the world of science fiction and fantasy comics, but the Belgian artist Yslaire rocks the comics world in a harder and broader way, I think. Le XXe Ciel is gorgeously done...

Sorry, I know that was off-topic, but I had to shamelessly promote an underappreciated artistic genius and his masterpiece. :oops: :lol:

EDIT: Again, off-topic: In case anyone wants to see it, here's the site for the Miyazaki-Moebius Expo:
http://www.miyazaki-moebius.com/
Last edited by AlphonseVanWorden on Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

AlphonseVanWorden wrote:I love Enki Bilal's stuff. Nikopol is one of the great science fiction comics.

Agreed. He makes some wonderful, surreal works. I've read all his albums translated into Finnish - so far I haven't seen English translations. Immortel ad Vitam wasn't as good movie as the Nikopol-trilogy was a comic series, but it was still interesting rework of the story...
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
AlphonseVanWorden

Post by AlphonseVanWorden »

Lightice wrote:Agreed. He makes some wonderful, surreal works. I've read all his albums translated into Finnish - so far I haven't seen English translations. Immortel ad Vitam wasn't as good movie as the Nikopol-trilogy was a comic series, but it was still interesting rework of the story...
I was wondering what the film was like...

Bilal's sensibility is wonderful and surreal. Some of the titles on which he's worked are available in English translation-- including the Nikopol trilogy.

http://www.humanoids-publishing.com/pro ... .php?id=12

Speaking of surreal, I enjoy a lot of Jodorowsky-scripted comics, too. And I like a few of his films a lot... I actually saw his movies before I read or even saw his comics. I figured he'd made some cool movies and retired or something... It took me a while to realize the fellow who wrote some off-the-wall comics I was enjoying also directed some strange films I'd liked.

[Alphonse shuts up and lets the good people return to topic.]
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi