Music

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

Elmo

Post by Elmo »

I find that i enjoy most music regardless of what category it fits into; Classical, renaisence, IDM, Trance, Rock, punk, heavy metal, Jazz(only jazz with no lyrics, saw Dave brubeck in concert in tokyo once :)), electronika, surfrock, basically anything but baroque/drumn'bass/techno. Anything that can give you an emotional response is good in my book; anything else is just pretty whitenoise, anyone agree with that?

I play the piano, trombone, trumpet and guitar but normally just improvise or play back whatever i've heard in a film recently. Like slipstream I'm a child of the 80s and don't listen to much in the top 40 mainly it seems so eager to please the main demographic for album sales which put simply, isn't me. ;)

Can't stop listening to the soundtrack to Kikujiro right now..
Gillsing

Post by Gillsing »

Lately I've been listening to the free samples of the Kameo soundtrack, but ever since I quit buying CDs several years ago I've been getting my music by downloading the occasional good stuff I hear on MTV (got about 8 hours of such music now). I don't really have any clear preferences, though I do like interesting rythms and sounds, and usually consider voices to be instruments and words to be their music. That is, I usually don't care what the deeper meaning is as long as I like the sound.

But I'm not really into music. I just use it for audio background. Which is why I'll happily listen to good ambient music from computer games. I have about 100 CDs which I never bother listening to, since I'm usually too lazy to put them in the drive. Also, the drive insists on spinning at full speed, even though that shouldn't be required for a mere music CD, so that's an annoyance unless the volume is turned up.

I used to like Sisters of Mercy the most, but I haven't listened to any of those CDs in a long time now, even though I still think that they're quite good. Maybe I know the songs too well for them to feel interesting enough? :?
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

How funny ... I'm not sure what type of music I like any more!!!

Ages ago I could be more specific (although as a youth I was teased because I didn't know the difference between rock and disco :oops: ) I liked the usual '80s music, but I was at various times very into punk, heavy metal, alternative ('80s version), thrash, classical, alternative ('90s version) ...

Now it's more about individual bands/individuals than types. I like Garbage, the Final Fantasy soundtracks, and St. Etienne. I also still like the Beatles and Queen and David Bowie, and occasionally I still listen to my old Styx and Alan Parsons Project CDs.

And currently I can't get some of the old Street Fighter themes out of my head, and the soundtrack to Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon keeps calling to me ...

Jeff
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Jeff Georgeson wrote: the Final Fantasy soundtracks
Yay for Nobuo Uematus! An excelent composer, no?
MiNaeClem

Post by MiNaeClem »

Indeed he is. He did a very good job for Advent Children too imo.
Some things are too important to be taken seriously.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

MiNaeClem wrote:Indeed he is. He did a very good job for Advent Children too imo.
I wouldn't say a very good job. Although I like his rock, he put too much of it in.

Dont for get to look at the credits
http://squaresound.com/albums/f/ff7advent.html.

Nobuo wasn't the solo composer like in past Final Fantasys. Final Fantasys I-IX really shows what he can do.