Music

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

Bringin It Down

Music

Post by Bringin It Down »

What all types of music are you guys into.

I'm mostly into hardcore and electronica, but I like something of all types of music.

Anyone else into music?
base of the pillar

Post by base of the pillar »

Some light punk or as my friends call it Emo. Plus I'll listen to most of the songs on the radio.
"And if we spirits have offended think but this and all is mended. That you have but slumbered heree while these visions did appear."--A Midsummer Night's Dream

History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Alot of modern day songs (except rock and punk, I know its popular but I just don't like it). The only rock I like are the Black Mage's (rock band run by Nobuo Uematsu (my favorite composer)).

But my real passion is vgm (video game music). I'm an active contributor over at squaresound.com.

I also play the piano, but not too fond of classical. I like some, but the music is rather boring. Most of the music I play on the piano is VGM.
Slipstream

Post by Slipstream »

New age, ambient, ethnic sometimes. I like modern symphony. Rarely do I like top 40 songs. I also am a child of the 80s...so that stuck with me.
Creator, Ghost in the Shell D20 RPG
www.serenadawn.com
MiNaeClem

Post by MiNaeClem »

I like listening to OSTs of the Animes I watch, for years. On the other hand I like rock and I play electro-guitar but I'm into any kind of music as long as it is good.
Some things are too important to be taken seriously.
Spica

Post by Spica »

I like indie rock in general, and my favorite band is R.E.M.. I am also like british rock (which tends to get lumped together with indie rock here in the United States). I also have a certain foundness for music from the 17th and 18th centuries (classical, chamber, baroque, etc.), shich I like to listen to while I'm reading or working on something or other.

What I like to hear in a peace of music is all of the instruments (and, if there is one, the singer) working in unison to form a piece of music that is more than the sum of its parts. I don't particularly like the fancy guitar work of fellows such as Jimi Hendrix, or any other type of music that puts two much emphasis on a single instrument (except maybe the piano, which stands alone well).
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Slipstream wrote:New age, ambient, ethnic sometimes. I like modern symphony. Rarely do I like top 40 songs. I also am a child of the 80s...so that stuck with me.
Modern Symphony...

Has you ever heard of a CD called "Unearthed" by E.S. Posthumus?

It is one of my favorite CDs and I strongly recommend it.
miki-chan

Post by miki-chan »

Gothic, industrial, darkwave, electronica, '80's/electroclash--and They Might Be Giants, who are pretty much a genre unto themselves...
"Smoke and idiots love high places."--Batou
Slipstream

Post by Slipstream »

Black Mamba wrote:

Have it.
Creator, Ghost in the Shell D20 RPG
www.serenadawn.com
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Hard to tell, really.. I started off with whatever my older brother listened to, because I lived in a remote area and didn't know squat. Then I moved to the city in grade 5 so I got into classic out of snobism, just repeating what I had been told that all else was not worth my two cents (the wonders of being a pre-teen :!: ). Then I got into rap music (talk bout a change of mind), but I was mostly interested in lyrical content anyway. That lasted years, until I discovered all kinds of music and really began loving music for music. Now I'll listen to anything that was made with some sense of purpose, from Tchaikovsky to IAM, from Radiohead to Lhasa de Sela, Amon Tobin, Tori Amos. When I sense talent, I listen. Oddly enough, I wont shy away from drum'n'bass...
Oh well.
Bringin It Down

Actually, Inner Universe got me into a lot of really good electronica like it. Who does the composing for the Gundam Wing electronica songs?
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Slipstream wrote:
Black Mamba wrote:

Have it.
Finally someone else has it! You have very good taste in music Slipstream.
Actually, Inner Universe got me into a lot of really good electronica like it.
I really can't put Inner Universe and Rise into a certain catagory. Don't just pass me off as a fanboy when I say these pieces are amazing and epic. They truly are. When Yoko wants to make something great, she does exactly that.
Bringin It Down

Very much so. I can't wait to order more of her stuff online.

The full Inner Universe where it has the little soft break in the middle is so epic, and when the high voice comes in the background it gives me shivers.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Well, I like many kinds of music, though I prefer melodic tunes. That doesn't mean they need to be soft, though. There are metal bands that I like. I also enjoy many classical pieces, as well as Celtic music, as long as it isn't too New Age. And ofcourse soundtracks, which I propably listen more than anything - both anime and movies, because they always summon specific pictures to my mind, when I listen to them.

Yoko Kanno is an excellent composer and it's always a pleasure to listen to Inner Universe. Those jazzy Cowboy Bebop tunes are also good for listening.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Spica

Post by Spica »

I also like celtic music, its one of the few varieties of ethnic music that I like (unless you consider british rock ethnic music). I like celtic music because it is very dramatic and employs lots of string instruments.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet