Transformers

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

Donshonto wrote:if they mess up Starscream; there will be blood to pay.
I think the
steel is being sharpened
Guns are being loaded,
Noses are being tied in ready for the blood.
BTW i think i saw a vampire preping, or was that the blood doner service?
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Suddenly I don't hear much about this film any more. I hope they are sure to have Megatron say, at least once, "If I can't have it, NO-ONE CAN!" (about the Universe, energon sources or some such point of interest).
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

so... that sucked. Nice cg stuff and I'm sure it'll sell a crapload of toys, but it took bad film to whole new levels of crappyness, hole filled plot, poor writing, supporting characters were just irritating and largely irrelevant, all the transformers looked the same in robot-mode and they did that shakey cam close up style thing which is totally out of place in a simple hollywood special effects film... occasionally you catch a glance of a slightly shakey robot arm before the action moves on and you start wondering why you didn't go to see Molière instead...
H-street

Post by H-street »

glad i wasn't the only one that was a little disappointed..

the horny teenager plot just didn't quite do it for me.. (what exactly was he going to do once he got on the helicopter at the end?)

too much about the boy and not enough about the giant robots fighting.. (since when does hiding from parents become an issue?)

although i will say, the meeting of prime and megatron was good stuff..

i love how they used the same voice actors..

"Priiiimme....."

backstore was great too.. .. take the back story, and the end (minus the kid) and the movie is good..
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I saw the movie finally... last year. I did not really think it was a great film by any standards, save for the special FX.

The whole time I felt like shouting, "WHERE ARE THE ROBOTS??!" There is a lot of the movie (as in, most of the first half of it) where it seemed like they were barely shown, and all it was was the human characters. Then suddenly you see a lot more of them. When the Autobots are finally introduced properly, I was a bit disappointed because they all looked the same to me apart from subtle differences. Somehow the robot designs are simultaneously brilliant and boring at the same time. With the exception of newcomer Barricade -who they had worked hard to make come off full of agression and edge for the five minutes they put him in the spotlight- the designs lacked personality to me. But what was worse was that they just seemed to lack personality in general. I'm used to thinking of the Transformers as "characters", but they just felt like... things... I don't know, like 'props'; like nothing more than cool special effects and not like "people" (lol I know the irony). And that half-hour action sequence at the end was just a pain to watch. Instead of being exciting to me, it just felt like boom boom boom "everyone dies!" for half an hour. In all honesty, I couldn't even tell who lived and who dies by the end, it was all so fast and mind-numbing. I was like, "Huh, what? Where is this character? Oh, they were supposed to have just died?" at the end >_<

I also don't really go for this kind of humour, so that didn't do it for me in the movie. Spike -I mean Sam- was okay, but I didn't really want a film about him, I wanted one about the Transformers, lol. In it's defense, I really liked that the girlfriend character didn't totally suck like girlfriend characters often do in movies. They were obviously pushing the teen romance angle, but they obviously wanted to make it a bit modern (and not entirely in the obnoxious sense), so she was somewhat interesting and I like that she wasn't totally useless :). Ack- okay and she was quite pretty too; quite an interesting look to her. Apart from the scene where the Decepticon Barricade attacks (I thought it was fairly cool), there wasn't a whole lot that jumped out at me about this film.

Loads of people I know like this film though. In all cases they were not people who were into it growing up or anything, they just like action/special effects and humourous movies alot.
Last edited by sonic on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Silphi...everything you just said, i agree with. i only watched it once and passed up on ever watching it again. younger people love it, especially the teen romance...so i guess these hollywood guys knew who they were marketing to.
i guess hollywood is snatching up rights to adapt anime & 80's properties left and right. the wachowski's speed racer should be coming soon...tobey maguirre wil be producing and starring in a Robotech movie...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

GhostLine wrote:Silphi...everything you just said, i agree with. i only watched it once and passed up on ever watching it again. younger people love it, especially the teen romance...so i guess these hollywood guys knew who they were marketing to.
i guess hollywood is snatching up rights to adapt anime & 80's properties left and right. the wachowski's speed racer should be coming soon...tobey maguirre wil be producing and starring in a Robotech movie...
To me it goes in the same catagory as "Dragon Wars" I wouldn't pay to see it again but I wouldn't break my leg trying to get away from it if it came on television :roll: The effects were great but something intangable is missing. I think I enjoyed the first year of the transformers cartoon series better than the movie. But then I was a kid when that came out :oops:
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Sylphisonic wrote:
tobey maguirre wil be producing and starring in a Robotech movie...
Hah hah hah! So he'll be playing whatever Hikaru's character from Macross was called in Robotech, then? (What was it- Rick Hunter or something?) Or perhaps it's some sort of spinoff instead...

Perhaps there should be a Captain Harlock movie too if they're all into digging up the past at the moment. There are actually several actresses in Hollywood who could probably pull off looking like Matsumoto female characters, lol.
Actually I think Gwenyth Paltrow would make a great Matel. :)

I think Herlock would be too Japanese to make into an American movie. It has too much of that untouchable Japanese nostalgia to make it work in the US. They'd just turn it into a movie about space pirates and leave all the good stuff out of it.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Yah, maybe.

Gyneth Paltrow? Hm. I think Nicole Kidman would be a good Emeraldas or Maetel myself- she looks like a bit of a Matsumoto heroine to me for some reason. Can't for the life of me imagine a Harlock, though. If you get people who can give off a serious sombre air and work it into an Arcadia of My Youth kind of story, it could work out. I'm sure the idea of a resistance on a planet with a radio freedom broadcast and all that is easy enough to understand...
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

I don't know how hollywood would treat Herlock (called Albator here), but I can tell you that it wasn't too japanese for all the francophone kids of my generation here in Quebec. Herlock, Grandizer (called Goldorak here) and Astroboy really had an impact over here.
Oh well.
MsDia

Post by MsDia »

I really liked it. Saw it twice in the theater and now on DVD another 5 or 6. They got the essence of Optimus and Megatron, so as far as the bots went I was very satisfied. The visual effects were stunning, they did miracles with the lightning. It was as if they were real machines running down the interstate.

What I would have liked to see more, was of course, the other robot characters and the banter between Starscream and Megatron. I liked the female presence, although I have to agree there was too much romance when it wasn't needed. The comedic treats were good though and there was a hefty amount of fire power.

Is anyone watching the new series on Cartoon Network, Transformers Animated? This one, took me a bit to accept. And I still can't say I like it.
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

I just saw/read somewhere (G4, maybe?) that they're looking at making another Transformers film in the near future. Same director, but no news beyond that.

Just FYI ...
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
MsDia

Post by MsDia »

Oh yeah, they are already making it. They were stalled because of the Writers' strike but now they are back into it. And it seems Bay was already preparing it based on what they had pre-strike.

Link
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

speaking of captain harlock...here is a fan trailer of a live action Harlock movie...it sounds like only just the trailer was made...but it almost makes you wish there was completed movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyUvwcXywtQ