Cyberpunk Reborn?

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

GhostLine

Cyberpunk Reborn?

Post by GhostLine »

The first time I read the words "cyberpunk", it was in the description paragraph on the back of my Appleseed manga. Now that's it's been out for a while, we know it is a recognizable sci-fi genre, starting with the works of William Gibson and Philip K. Dick, resulting in film and media portraying a gritty future filled with technology and suffering.
Like anyone else, Blade Runner blew me away...and at the inception of the World Wide Web, cyberpunk exploded, resulting in a deluge of derivative works: Ghost in the Shell, TekWar (remember that?), The Matrix, The Lawnmower Man, and all of the 'net inspired dystopia that we saw in late 80's to early 2000's. Everyone was all about cyberpunk...and then it got tired.
Now, a new GitS film. A new Blade Runner film. Battle Angel Alita is once again being pushed by James Cameron with Robert Rodriguez directing. It just seems interesting that a tired aesthetic/genre seems to be making a resurgence. But maybe because current technology can make the aesthetic look good on screen and not as campy.