What are some movies inspired by anime/manga?

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

AlphonseVanWorden

Post by AlphonseVanWorden »

Did anyone throw in History of Violence yet?
Tonks_kittygoth, I believe the comic and film were mentioned somewhere on this thread... :wink:
Rocketter would go for the influence thing.
Especially since the Rocketeer film is based upon the Dave Stevens comic series, which was itself a huge tribute/homage to earlier pop culture...

I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned MirrorMask, the Dave McKean/Neil Gaiman film collaboration... especially given the creators' famous comic book work. Not one of my favorite films, but not as bad as some critics seemed to think.

McKean worked with Gaiman on Violent Cases, Black Orchid, the wonderful Signal to Noise, and a few other comics/graphic novels, and he did the covers for Gaiman's Sandman series. McKean also illustrated Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum graphic novel. I thought at the time and still believe that Arkham is one of the coolest Batman books ever, with the "I look at the doll house, and the doll house looks at me" and "How's the Boy Wonder? Has he started shaving yet?" scenes being personal favorites. And all the Golden Bough and Jungian and Freudian stuff... And McKean wrote and illustrated Cages, one of the most underappreciated English-language comics of recent years. (The comic ran in the early Nineties, and it was collected in a really nice edition in 2002.) Cages has a really odd Kafka, Borges, and Calvino vibe to it... The conversation between the cat and God (or an aspect of God, or one of the character's idea of God) is great. ("So... what are you saying, that creation is just a sort of repeating pattern?" "I think so. Like a spiral. It repeats but also comments on itself. See?" "No, not really... So this is it, is it? Your job? Reminding her about her chocolate cake, or her unhappy childhood, or... that sort of stuff. Don't you feel a bit... I don't know, emasculated?") And the stuff with the writer... "Fear of freedom, Leo. Everybody's a bird, locked up in a pretty cage. Sometimes you fly to a slightly bigger one, but you never quite have the courage to abandon captivity completely..." <shudders>
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

I liked Mirrormask quite a bit. I dont think the critics "got it". It is probably one of those things that will become a classic once its influences become known better. It does have some silly bits but considering it was made for hardly any money with the caviet that they could do anything they wanted, I think it turned out great.

My favorite was the Sphinxes. They were not cats, but so very catlike in all the ways no one portrays them as.
"HUNGRY." *throws it cake* Sphinx looks distainfully* "STILL HUNGRY"

Check out Neil Gaimans Blog archives for lots of funny trivia on the making.
(one fav. is Neil writing a scene in a classroom, and Dave freaking out that it would be impossibly expensive, dueto reality being so inconvienent, hiring actors, getting them off school, getting a set, and saying something like. " Now if you want the world to implode and scrunch up like paper, that I can do for nothing, but a classroom scene! No way!")

Anyways, I didnt mention it cause I was thinking of a more literal link. It is a great example though of comic creators moving into other fields.[/img]
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama