webcomic

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

Freitag

webcomic

Post by Freitag »

Hey, any of y'all read web comics? Post links here if you can recommend one.

This is a webcomic that is complete so the story has an ending.
https://www.alicegrove.com/archive
Start from the bottom.
The "next" button on some pages is broken so you may need to navigate from the archive sometimes to get back on track.
It's set in the far future and has several ideas that may show up in a post technology D&D game I run in the future.

I've turned this into a list and grouped by frequency of update. Although for the ones with a long archive even irregular updates could be ready daily for years before catching up.

Please enjoy. And if you have any webcomics that you read regularly, please post replies with links.

Some of these comics have terrific artwork and panels resemble oil paintings (Pepper and Carrot) while others have just enough art to let you know what's going on (XKCD).

Weekday or More Notes M-W-F Notes Weekly Notes Irregular (or unknown) update schedule Notes Completed (or ended for other reasons) Notes
  • Ago Merged back into Pet Foolery
  • Alice Grove Finished - Far future science fiction. Some of the "next" buttons are broken so you may need to navigate via the archive page. There are some very cool concepts in this one. This is my favorite story just now and I wish they'd make a movie from it.
  • Calvin and Hobbes There are three Go Comics that I will call out specifically though.
  • Derelict Abandoned? (archive) Post apocalyptic (see also The Sword Interval)
  • Epic Fail Abandoned?
  • Erfworld (archive) Terminated because of family tragedy.
  • No Pink Ponies Abandoned?
  • Peanuts There are three Go Comics that I will call out specifically though. Finished. Charles Schultz finished his work and retired. He passed away the very same day his last comic was published. His work was complete.
  • Sore Thumbs Abandoned?
  • Sword Interval Finished - very good story
  • The Voltaire Incident Abandoned?
  • White Noise Abandoned? Post apocalyptic

This one is unique. It is a multi-media presentation. More of a story than a comic.
link
Please do try it out. This link will take you to a page that will redirect you to the first page. Do not read this on a smart phone, please use a computer, episode one has, for good story reasons, a LOT of scrolling down. Even if you end up not sticking with it, this first episode is so unique that it's really epic.
Last edited by Freitag on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Chroma

Post by Chroma »

How can you follow so many XD!

I think you practically cover everything I have as well. Add to this Sarah Anderson's scribbles and many Geek and Poke and that should be it.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I have them broken up into groups of daily, mwf, and seldom update and open all tabs in one group at a time to read them. Mostly I see the same page and before and then just close it again. so really I'm only reading 3 or 4 comics at a time (once I'm caught up). It's less than on a page of newspaper comics.

I'll binge read a new one when I get it. For instance on Sheldon I'm still in 2003.

Originally I only had like two. Dilbert and Freefall and I read them at work when I got my coffee in the AM. Both are still going strong.

I'll look those other two up and add them. Thanks!

Sarah's Scribbles.

Geek and Poke (archive).
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
simon's ghost

Re: webcomic

Post by simon's ghost »

Freitag wrote:... and are afflicted by woke.
:lol:

It's interesting how even all the apolitical web corners I visit consider this to be a disease and yet it keeps spreading. Anyway, I don't want to get off topic, sorry.

Thanks for that list! Looks like I have plenty of discoveries to make.
Oh well.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I need to update my list. I've come across some others (both good and bad) and one that is a series of YouTube videos that seems to be a modern-ish take on meso american spirits dealing with old west people.

EDIT:
OK, I added the new ones and reformatted the list a little. There are a couple of references to a comic aggregation site Go Comics (so except for some specific callouts I've links the main site and not individual comics) and Webtoons where I've still posted links to individual comics. Going to the home pages will list soooo many more. I'm not sure how "curated" my list should be.
Freitag

Re: webcomic

Post by Freitag »

Adding some new comics. I'll put them in the main list, but also here so that you can see the new ones right away.
  • SlackWyrm Keep A lazy dragon
  • Advanced Player of the Tutorial Tower Game nerd becomes aware of a secret world and is recruited by Gaia to defend the world. (The Gamer is a better version of this)
  • No Evil Interesting take on the Mesoamerican Deities as they try to keep two towns from destroying each other. Animated and voice acted.
EDIT: I get error 500 editing the main comic list post.