Anime Is Expensive

Whatever anime you like!

Moderator: sonic

Epiphany

Anime Is Expensive

Post by Epiphany »

My god what have I got myself addicted to.

I just paid 175.00 for both box sets and I want more. I was looking at the price of the earlier GITS graphic novels and comics. I want it all but can't afford them :(
Jeni Nielsen

Re: Anime Is Expensive

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Epiphany wrote:My god what have I got myself addicted to.

I just paid 175.00 for both box sets and I want more. I was looking at the price of the earlier GITS graphic novels and comics. I want it all but can't afford them :(
Tell me about it.

I'll be the first to admit that my family is far from poor. Both my sisters get off on expensive clothing and jewlery, but when I was in high school my addiction wasn't jewlery or fancy cars or anything like that. Nope. My rich girl hobby was anime. I own about 1000 DVDs and tapes of anime, but that's been acumulated over a period of about 6-8 years. (Yeah I know it's still ri-cock-ulous, but anyhow)

Yeah anime is expensive, but what can you do? At least most of the DVD extras nowadays are really worth it. SAC extras are usually awesome.

Or you could just watch adult swim to get your GitS fix.
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

I so jealous. I do get my adualt swim fix but I want to read the novels and comics. Also GITS isn't the only anime I like now.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Well, compared to some other forms of media, anime is relatively cheap. I mean, a new music CD can cost as much as five episodes of new anime, dammit! If that isn't mismatched pricing, I don't know what is.

Yeah, it can be expensive, especially the boxed sets of new series, but compared to some other things, it tends to be quite reasonable. Not that I could afford every single anime that I'd like to possess, either. Poor students like me need to scrimp and save, except when we've had a short-term job, as that's when we have a shopping spree online. Or maybe that's just me. :roll:
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

I know the poor student feeling, only to well.
My biggest problem is I want all the GITS stuff right now.

At least I can TIVO all 3 Inuyasha movies this week-end.
Thank god for Adult Swim
insert "happy dance" emoticon here

But then again I saw an episode of Witch Hunter Robin that seemed pretty cool.
rcog3

Post by rcog3 »

Maybe you could try to get addicted to less costly things? :-)
For equally good quality, books cost a lot less than DVDs. And the cost is certainly not proportional to the quality. Check here for some suggestion. Your local library might even have some.

As for the poor student feeling, that might be because prices are fixed according to how much people are ready to pay, instead of how much it cost to produce. And if you're in the bottom of this pool of people in terms of money, well ... I won't say it out loud (not to taunt our friendly moderator ;-)) but what some consider illegal, others might consider civil disobedience. And in a democratic system, it is your right as much as it is your duty.
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

rcog3 wrote:Maybe you could try to get addicted to less costly things? :-)
For equally good quality, books cost a lot less than DVDs. And the cost is certainly not proportional to the quality. Check here for some suggestion. Your local library might even have some.

As for the poor student feeling, that might be because prices are fixed according to how much people are ready to pay, instead of how much it cost to produce. And if you're in the bottom of this pool of people in terms of money, well ... I won't say it out loud (not to taunt our friendly moderator ;-)) but what some consider illegal, others might consider civil disobedience. And in a democratic system, it is your right as much as it is your duty.
I make 3D characters for a program called Poser, that I sell on the internet and I lose so much money to downloaders that it's not funny. No. Thats not civil disobedience, that's a crime against an individual. In this case "Me". I don't download and strongly frown on those that do. I don't see how stealing my hard work could ever be considered anyones duty. I was raised in a "Do unto others" house. Why would I ever want to steal someone elses work and bitch because someone else steals mine?
rcog3

Post by rcog3 »

Epiphany wrote: I make 3D characters for a program called Poser, that I sell on the internet and I lose so much money to downloaders that it's not funny. No. Thats not civil disobedience, that's a crime against an individual. In this case "Me". I don't download and strongly frown on those that do. I don't see how stealing my hard work could ever be considered anyones duty. I was raised in a "Do unto others" house. Why would I ever want to steal someone elses work and bitch because someone else steals mine?
I'm a programmer myself, so I know that you can put a lot of "real" work into something that can be duplicated in a matter of seconds. But I think that IP is naive in its conception. The goal might be noble, but it is pretty impossible to get it implemented right, let alone enforced.

When Kenji Kamiyama sets up a paypal button on his website, I will gladly give him some money, because I think he did something worthy. But, by buying at the store, you end up paying not only for the artists that created the series, but also for the huge racket that is behind it and that would have made sure that GitS never make it to adult swim, north american stores, etc. if KK had tried to bypass them.

My other suggestion still holds :-).
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

rcog3 wrote:
Epiphany wrote: I make 3D characters for a program called Poser, that I sell on the internet and I lose so much money to downloaders that it's not funny. No. Thats not civil disobedience, that's a crime against an individual. In this case "Me". I don't download and strongly frown on those that do. I don't see how stealing my hard work could ever be considered anyones duty. I was raised in a "Do unto others" house. Why would I ever want to steal someone elses work and bitch because someone else steals mine?
I'm a programmer myself, so I know that you can put a lot of "real" work into something that can be duplicated in a matter of seconds. But I think that IP is naive in its conception. The goal might be noble, but it is pretty impossible to get it implemented right, let alone enforced.

When Kenji Kamiyama sets up a paypal button on his website, I will gladly give him some money, because I think he did something worthy. But, by buying at the store, you end up paying not only for the artists that created the series, but also for the huge racket that is behind it and that would have made sure that GitS never make it to adult swim, north american stores, etc. if KK had tried to bypass them.

My other suggestion still holds :-).
Does the phrase "Pretzel Logic" mean anything to you.
rcog3

Post by rcog3 »

Epiphany wrote:Does the phrase "Pretzel Logic" mean anything to you.
I guess that you mean that my "logic" doesn't hold.

Maybe you could read this. And if you still think it's a bunch of pretzel, please try to detail you POV a little more next time (and use PM if appropriated, I don't think the forum would benefit much from a flamewar).
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Pertzel Logic = Twisting thoughts and/or ideals til they fit the point of view you want them to.

No flame war here. I just have a strong set of beliefs on the subject. I know that in the world we live in, black and white has become nothing but varing shades of gray. I know that my seeing this subject in strickly black and white sets me against the majority of people that use the internet. I know that since what I do is just keystrokes on a computer and have no physical properties to them. That doesn't change the fact that my hard work is being pirated. I have a character that I sold 47 copies of. I found over 280 bearshare users with it in their shared files. That is a substancial financial lose to me. It's so bad that some of my fellow designers are thinking of using a varification code on the characters they sell so the can trace it back to the original purchaser when they find it in shared files folders. That would raise the price substancially.

It's little different in my opinion than someone stealing your car. Driving around the block and pulling up in front of your house and saying "Come check out my new car" In a twisted sense it is their car now. They have posession of it.

It's also not much different than spammers loading up this forum with their ads and links. They steal all the time that it takes Jeni to boot them from here. They steal all the time it takes us to wade through them to find legitiment posts. If it reachs a drastically out of control point, they may even end up stealing this site from us. All it takes is the admin saying enough is enough and pulling the plug.

I know you and I will never agree on this subject. Thats alright.
Last edited by Epiphany on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rcog3

Post by rcog3 »

Epiphany wrote:I know you and I will never agree on this subject. Thats alright.
Maybe I will agree with you someday. It's just that, for the moment, the arguments for IP are generally based on feelings (I think IP is good) while those against it are usually based on kind-of scientific claims (the monopoly introduced by IP is generally bad for the economy). And I tend to base my "opinion" on things I can refer to when I have to justify it.
Locke

Post by Locke »

I've heard that anime is priced so high (in part) to compensate for losses suffered due to internet piracy. It wouldn't surprise me. (To be clear, though, I'm no pirate. :P)
"Humanity does not ask us to happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf."
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Locke wrote:I've heard that anime is priced so high (in part) to compensate for losses suffered due to internet piracy. It wouldn't surprise me. (To be clear, though, I'm no pirate. :P)
I would just figure it's more of a 'what the market will bear' thing.

They charge it because we pay it. And pay it. And pay it.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Colmy_DD

Post by Colmy_DD »

the thing i have to coment about is that we are basiaclly the last place in the whole world who gets 'new' anime and when it comes its all so heavily sensored... so really your paying more for less!!!
What i'd thought i'd do is pretend to be one of those individuals... or should i??