Recap / remake movies

Whatever anime you like!

Moderator: sonic

Luke

Recap / remake movies

Post by Luke »

What do we think of recap / remake movies for example Evangelion Death and rebirth, the new Evangelion movies, The Berserk Golden age movies etc Do they add anything to the franchise or just a way of cashing in?

Personally speaking Death and rebirth was a travesty to me as someone who hadn't at that time seen the series. Just sticking random scenes from a series together in a way that didn't make sense to anyone not already familiar with the story, adding a chunk of the new movie to the end of it which you would then see anyway when the full movie is released and making money off saps like me who bought the DVD unaware of what it was, was massively gross in my opinion.

Having said that I haven't watched the new movie adaptations of Evangelion, nor have I watched the Berserk stuff. Apart from the new improved animation is there any reason to watch these dumbed down versions? There's talk around a recap movie of the first season of Attack on Titan, is this a trend now?

I'm glad GITS didn't pull this and instead have only ever created new content.

Opinions, recommendations wanted!
Freitag

Re: Recap / remake movies

Post by Freitag »

Luke wrote:I'm glad GITS didn't pull this and instead have only ever created new content.
Ditto. Although they sorta skirted that by changing formats. Manga -> Movie -> TV Series

NGE is just whacked out though.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Actually GitS produced two recap movies...The Laughing Man Incident and Individual Eleven...which were pared down from the two SAC seasons. If that is what you are talking about. Even though it wasn't new material, from what I understand, they had cleaned up some of the quality of the animation and the English-language dub was done by entirely different actors.

I never saw the NGE film rebirth and whatnot, but 1.0 and 2.0 were all new productions using the original as a guide-rule and then diverging from it entirely with new characters and new situations. I still have't seen 3.0 or 4.0 yet...as they have been seriously dragging out these releases for some reason.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

GhostLine wrote:Actually GitS produced two recap movies...The Laughing Man Incident and Individual Eleven...which were pared down from the two SAC seasons. If that is what you are talking about. Even though it wasn't new material, from what I understand, they had cleaned up some of the quality of the animation and the English-language dub was done by entirely different actors.

I never saw the NGE film rebirth and whatnot, but 1.0 and 2.0 were all new productions using the original as a guide-rule and then diverging from it entirely with new characters and new situations. I still have't seen 3.0 or 4.0 yet...as they have been seriously dragging out these releases for some reason.
I think we were looking more at things like NGE where they redid the same story with an extra character and other small tweaks. Not like Individual Eleven where they just cut some episodes together.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Oh, in that case, my favorite recap movie is Macross: Do You Remember Love
Luke

Post by Luke »

Can talk about either really. I just ordered NGE 1.11 & 2.22 Not watched yet. I'm kind of expecting a shortened version of the series with much less room for character development. Will be good to see the newer animation, plus where the story goes with the new characters/plot etc. I didn't think of the SAC recap releases. I figured they were just all of the eps relating to either the laughing man or individual 11 put together. Anyone watched them? Do they add anything?