Appleseed XIII

Whatever anime you like!

Moderator: sonic

GhostLine

Appleseed XIII

Post by GhostLine »

Okay...somehow this didn't register on my radar....
"Appleseed XIII (アップルシード XIII, Appurushīdo Sātīn?) was a 2011 Japanese CGI anime adaptation of Masamune Shirow's science fiction manga series Appleseed. Composed of 13 episodes, the series retold the exploits of ES.W.A.T. member Deunan and her cyborg partner Briareos. The series was produced by Jinni's Animation Studios in association with Production I.G and under the direction of Takayuki Hamana with Junichi Fujisaku as script supervisor.[1] All 13 episodes will be compiled into two feature-length films.[2] A theatrical remix of the series titled Appleseed XIII ~Yuigon~ (アップルシード XIII〜遺言〜, Appurushīdo Sātīn ~Yuigon~?) was announced by Shochiku and premiered a trailer on June 13, 2011.[3] A North American release will occur sometime in 2013,[4] though it is not known yet whether this English language distribution will be the full series or theatrical remix version."
Has anyone seen this?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKB4cVNgoaY
I've been a fan of Appleseed way long before GitS...yet the production quality of this show is not very impressive...but I'll give it a whirl when I get the chance.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

O___o How have I not heard of this? .....

I wonder if it's actually good. Any idea anyone?

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

They occasionally have been airing episodes on The Short Movie Channel. It is cel-shaded animation with stylistic choices very similar to original manga. The story however is very subdued with lots of moments of reflection and pondering...I honestly have fallen asleep while watching. It's okay.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Speaking of Appleseed, anyone fans of the CG movies?

I watched the original animated movie adaptation when I was young and although it has its flaws I still prefer it to the others I've seen.

I was instantly put off the first CG movie when Deunan was cartwheeling around like Trinity rather than a regular human E-swat character taking part in realistic gun battles within the realms of human limitations. I also found the plot some what lacking. I did watch the first John Woo version aswell which I thought was only marginally better but haven't been inclicned to go back since.

If in this series she is no longer a matrix character I would be tempted to watch it. Come to think of it I don't think I have seen any completely CG made movies that has had a plot worth its run time...
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

CG movies are okay...I find that their quality is looking more and more impressive even if the stories go off the rails. I haven't seen the lastest CG incarnation of Appleseed: Alpha yet.
Luke

Post by Luke »

I hadn't even heard of Alpha until this thread prompted me to have a look at what was out for Appleseed.

Have to admit that looked much more my thing, seeing the action was less Matrix but the reviews don't look all that great. I guess the Appleseed series is an alternative path that all too easily could have been GITS if it wasn't for Oshii.