What is the most emotional anime in history?

Whatever anime you like!

Moderator: sonic

Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Ohh I missed this one...

The most emotional Anime's I've watched are easily from the Evnagelion series. I literally shed tears, bit my nails and had nightmares about that series. I know everyone uses it as an example to the point of cliché but TBH there's a good reason. It really genuinely affected me very strongly. I almost gave up watching it several times because it was stopping me sleeping and putting me off work and stuff. If there's one thing that Hideaki Anno knows how to do it's stab the most delicate parts of the human mind really hard.

i have to say I agree there are some real tear jerkers and hair raisers in GitS, especially in SAC. The part at the near-end of SAC 1 with the Tachikoma, and for that matter the same again at the end of 2nd Gig, and also the part with Togusa at the hospital in SSS.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

It seems to be an Anime trademark. Stick in a few emotional scenes for impact. The opening and ending of The Cowboy Bebop Movie were emotional. Trigun had a lot of emotional scenes trough out the series. Trinity Blood has some very emotional stuff going on. Death Note is the same way.

But I still think the death of Nina and the reaction to it of Ed in "Full Metal's Night of the Chimera's Cry" is one of the saddest moments for me. Then the entire relationship between the Elric Brothers has some serious heart tugs to it. The fact that they were left seperated after all they had be through in the series broke my heart.
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
Ramzus

Post by Ramzus »

The most emotional scenes were in GITS: SAC at the end of 1 gig and at the end of 2 gig. But the most emotional anime I ever watched was 5 centimeters per second, I cried like a baby.
Last edited by Ramzus on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The divine medium who has descended upon the mortal world.
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Ramzus wrote:For me the most emotional scenes were in GITS: SAC 1 gig, tachikoma's death and also in 2 gig their sacrifice at the end. But the most emotional anime I ever watched was 5 centimeters per second, I cried like a baby.
Er spoiler?! Please make sure you let people know if you're going to be saying something like that. Some, myself included, have yet to see the whole series.
Ramzus

Post by Ramzus »

Sorry for spoilers :oops:
The divine medium who has descended upon the mortal world.
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

The first time I watched the end of the first season of SAC, I couldn't believe how much I cried when the tachi sacrified themselves. And I can't believe either that it still does the same effect now! :shock:

Evangelion is probably the most emotional though. I never cried watching it but it makes me think about so many things about life that it is scary!

As for the grave of the fireflies, I tried to watch it twice but I couldn't even stand watching it! :cry:

Now that I am thinking about it, the only 'real action' movie that did the same effect on me was the Schindler's list (and I managed to watch it twice 'til the end), so I guess that the animators and artists in manga are really incredible to show strong emotions. That's probably why the love mangas so much :wink:
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

i agree THYREN. Anime and manga utilize characterization and backstory that makes the character interesting and has a world for them to live in. If we didn't care about the characters, then where would we be? Fullmetal Alchemist is probably one of the most well written and designed anime/manga. One of my favorite mangas is Miyazaki's Nausicaa, very emotional...but the movie...not so much. As for Evangelion, I think they did an excellent job on the characters, which was why so many of us was able to endure the last few episodes...if nobody cared, do you think they would sit through all of that? Totoro made teary eyed...or Macross/ Robotech when Roy Fokker died.
GitS has a bizarre way of getting us to care about the characters...Togusa's family values, Batou's loyalty to The Major, Aramaki's integrity, and Motoko's charismatic leadership and existential wistfulness. We can see how they all rub off on ecah other. I can relate to that.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Jin Roh. Definitely! That anime has caused for my throat to get the meanest ball ever. I always get choked up when I watch it, and I cannot watch it too often, or I get extremely depressed. I pop it in only once every five or six months.

marto
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

The song they use for the end of that futurama episode is just perfect, really pulls at the heartstrings. The whole episode reminded me of Greyfriars Bobby, even the dog looks like him.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I don't know it, I will have to look it up ^_^
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

Greyfriars Bobby is a famous little Skye Terrier dog from Edinburgh, he was a watchmans dog but when his owner died he sat at his graveside for 14 years, only leaving at one o' clock each day to go get food.

I always visit his little statue for luck when I'm in Edinburgh. :)

or do you mean the song? that's 'I will wait for you' by connie francis ^_^

</ElmoTheHumanWikipedia>
Locke

Post by Locke »

The two animes that have "gotten to me" the most (so far) were Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and Gunslinger Girl. Oh, and Fullmetal Alchemist had its moments too, I thought.

...And then there's the later episodes of Last Exile. Oh jeez.
"Humanity does not ask us to happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf."