Gunslinger Girl

Whatever anime you like!

Moderator: sonic

Gillsing

Gunslinger Girl

Post by Gillsing »

I couldn't very well recommend it in the "Anime Classics" thread, even though I really wanted to. Because it's probably not a classic yet, and it's not a movie but a series of 13 episodes. But it's great stuff. Kind of what Motoko Kusanagi's childhood could've been like in an alternative reality. A much less technologically advanced reality, where little cybergirls are always messed up in some way. But the whole anti-terrorist agency thing is there, so it's not quite as frivolous as one might think. Yeah, it should definitely be considered a classic if it isn't already. 8)
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

well, I'd thank the spambot for bumping the topic back up because I really loved that mini-series. it has decent character development and a twisted take on the mentor-student relationship. its stylish-but-sober graphic design and animation style really creates an immersive setting.

:? also, I really wonder why some critics called it a washed down version of "Noir", which has very little if anything to do with "Gunslinger Girls".
Oh well.
mrtodd

Post by mrtodd »

I quite liked this series although i'm not a big fan of short series' just because of the way that they are priced...... usually the same amount for a 13 episode as a 24 or 26... which is kinda boring..

But yeh back to the Series' I kinda found it a little difficult to watch at first as you know its little Girls with guns... although yes they are now classed as cyborgs or what ever it just seems a little un nerving not that i didnt like the series'....

it just might make you look even more weird than you did before... :P
Locke

Post by Locke »

mrtodd wrote:I quite liked this series although i'm not a big fan of short series' just because of the way that they are priced...... usually the same amount for a 13 episode as a 24 or 26... which is kinda boring..
I saw the full series on one disk for $20.00, though I have the original boxed set.
"Humanity does not ask us to happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf."
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Locke wrote:
mrtodd wrote:I quite liked this series although i'm not a big fan of short series' just because of the way that they are priced...... usually the same amount for a 13 episode as a 24 or 26... which is kinda boring..
I saw the full series on one disk for $20.00, though I have the original boxed set.
I had a friend give a favorable review of this. Where'd you see it for that price.

I like some of the smaller series while I'm waiting for some main thing to keep coming in week after week. I watched Rocket Girls from a sub site before it was available here. It was campy and suffered from the traditional "kids make better pilots/engineers/whatnot than do fully educated and trained adults" that so many anime do these days, but it was fun and not creepy.
I showed it to my nephews, but they couldn't get over the fact that it was a 'girl movie' (they are at the age where anything female has cooties - even if it is just a picture of a girl!)
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Locke

Post by Locke »

Freitag wrote:Where'd you see it for that price.
I saw it at my local anime convention last year. It came as a huge shock to me. I guess the series isn't exactly flying off the shelves.
"Humanity does not ask us to happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf."
M4nu3l

Post by M4nu3l »

They're priced that way, for the dubbing company to make money off it's 'cult' status. They know what they're doing. I bought two versions, one for me and one for my sister, who enjoyed it as well.