Ghost in the Shell 1.5 Human Error Processor

Talk about the Ghost in the Shell manga here!

Moderator: sonic

H-street

Post by H-street »

just reading the mshp and it looks like #1 came out on Nov 1st..

anyone pick it up yet?
Ghost in the Shell 1.5: Human-Error Processor #1

Deep into the twenty-first century, the line between man and machine has been inexorably blurred as humans rely on the enhancement of mechanical implants and robots are upgraded with human tissue. In this rapidly converging technoscape, the covert-ops agents of Section 9 are charged to track and crack the most dangerous terrorists, cybercriminals, and ghost hackers. And speaking of ghosts, when supposedly dead people start turning up walking and talking, Section 9 begins to look into the possibility that corpses are being "puppeted" from a remote location, and some serious powerbrokers may be pulling the strings.

Ghost in the Shell 1.5: Human-Error Processor presents for the first time in America the "lost" Ghost in the Shell stories, created by Shirow Masamune after completing work on the original Ghost in the Shell manga and prior to his tour-de-force, Ghost in the Shell 2: Man-Machine Interface, but never collected until now. Focusing on Section 9 agents in their daily battle against technocrime, Human-Error Processor has all the mind-twisting cybermadness you've come to expect from Ghost in the Shell but set in a more police-procedural context with action and suspense galore.

This first issue features part one of "Fat Cat," the first of four Ghost in the Shell tales.

• Shirow and Ghost in the Shell are well-known and critically acclaimed internationally, with movies, television, and novels inspired by the groundbreaking manga.

• These stories have long been in demand by Shirow fans, but have only seen print in the stories' original serializations, and have not been available for over a decade.

• This is the first English-language Shirow series that will be produced in the authentic right-to-left reading format, as originally published in Japan.

Pub. Date: November 01, 2006
Format: b&w & Full color, 24pages
Price: $2.99
from http://www.takotech.net/mshp//index.php
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I will be picking up my copy very soon.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Yeah! Jeff and I bought the first issue a week or so ago. We'd gone out to get some non-fish sushi and spontaneously decided to call in on Mile High Comics for a bit of a quick browse. I was commenting on how much I whiffed of ginger (for I'd eaten a solid stack of the stuff right out of the sushi tray, and it was EXTRA STRONG), when the issue eventually caught my eye. "Wow, I didn't know they were coming out with that!"

I read it right away... First of all, I think it's really bad that they are using a MMI-style art on the cover to sell the book, when it really has little to do with MMI. The people who came on board around that time and became fans of that series will not only be disappointed by the fact that they are not getting some kind of MMI sequel from it, but by the fact that Motoko does not even appear in this issue. It's a minor complaint, but it is not cool to sell a book as something that it isn't, and it is also not a strong way to start by not having the character that your average fan expects to see show up. I guess I don't know what point she shows up in in the lost chapters (don't have the complete Japanese version), but I wonder if it would have helped to lengthen the first installment until they got to that point? Depends, I suppose. Also, I really think it was a bad choice to make it look so much like Man-Machine Interface on the cover, as at first I nearly overlooked it because I thought it was MMI! The biggest mistake is that they really don't explain anywhere in the comic exactly what "Ghost in the Shell" 1.5 is... You and I probably know that it's the "lost" chapters of the original manga; a sort of in-between; but they don't tell you that in an introduction or anything and so I bet there are probably a lot of people who went "Ghost in the Shell; cool!" but didn't know what it was or when it took place. Well, little problems, you know; but I just think it would have been better if they introduced it properly; you know, got you excited about what you were reading first.

Anyway, the story itself seems to be Togusa and a colleague out on a typical Section 9 assignment concerning a woman whose father was an aquaintance of Aramaki at some point. I thought it was pretty typical of a chapter of the old manga. It was wonderful to see old-style Shirow art! The book opens with a few colour pages, and it instantly reminded me of the love I had for them in the original manga. That watercolour style has always been beautiful; I wish I could paint buildings and trees the way he did. He just had such a beautiful eye for that sort of thing. The rest is in black and white, which is good too. I know a lot of you are waiting for the collected manga, but go out and get the issues instead since you can, eh? The oversized format is always much nicer than looking at the art in a standard manga book size. A little irritating that they decided not to flip it (from my point of view- if you are going to do something in English it should read the appropriate way), but what can you do about new conventions? Uh, anyway, go. Buy.
H-street

Post by H-street »

read it this weekend, not bad..

an interesting start to the story...

definately worth 3$
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I found the first issue very interesting; a little strange not seeing Motoko, but still a great and interesting story.
H-street

Post by H-street »

just a heads up, issue 2 is suppose to come out tomorrow.. (Nov 29th)

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=14-248
H-street

Post by H-street »

H-street

Post by H-street »

marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

I have up to volume 3. Now things are getting very interesting!

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
H-street

Post by H-street »

looks like number 4 was suppose to be release yesterday.. anyone have a chance to pick it up yet? i probably won't make it until this weekend to the store

also looks like the DH page for #7 is up

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=14-253
H-street

Post by H-street »

Purifying Flame of Justic
Location: The Outer Plane of Xatorsika; Pondering upon my own existence, what path in life shall I embark on?

Post by Purifying Flame of Justic »

I have ordered the paperback^^, now I'm just waiting for my winter holiday to start already ... damn school >.<
"It is terrible to die of thirst on the ocean.
Does your truth have to be so salty that it can no longer even - quench thirst?" Nietzsche
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

So whatever happened to that CD? Anyone know if it just got ditched, because the copy of the manga that I bought, didn't have it.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?