GitS 1.5 - Authentic Format

Talk about the Ghost in the Shell manga here!

Moderator: sonic

marto_motoko

GitS 1.5 - Authentic Format

Post by marto_motoko »

Regarding the new Ghost in the Shell Human-Error Processor, the format of the manga will be in the authentic right to left format. I know it doesn't make much of a difference either way, but does anyone have an idea as to why Dark Horse has desided to do that? It doesn't really make much sense that the other two comics were both left to right, and now they change it. Perhaps to give it a better 'manga' feeling? Even thought that doesn't seem like a solid reason for it.

Any ideas are welcome to answer my odd questioning.

marto_motoko
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Jeni Nielsen

Re: GitS 1.5 - Authentic Format

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

marto_motoko wrote:Regarding the new Ghost in the Shell Human-Error Processor, the format of the manga will be in the authentic right to left format. I know it doesn't make much of a difference either way, but does anyone have an idea as to why Dark Horse has desided to do that? It doesn't really make much sense that the other two comics were both left to right, and now they change it. Perhaps to give it a better 'manga' feeling? Even thought that doesn't seem like a solid reason for it.

Any ideas are welcome to answer my odd questioning.

marto_motoko
1) Saves a truckload of time in the editing
2) doesn't result in flipped numbers and images
3) probably due to fan-pandering which was one of the reasons un-flipped manga started being released in the first place.
4)* also with Dark Horse in the past (with Blade of the Immortal) they catered to the manga-ka's wishes and cut up the panels instead of flipping it. Maybe Shirow asked for it to be this way. Ikind of doubt it, but it's a possiblity. Maybe there are some important images that if flipped would result in a different interpretation.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

This is actually good new imo. With the original right-to-left format, the story will flow much better imo. I'm still waiting for a right-to-left version of Ghost in the Shell and Akira. Damn you Dark Horse!!
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Black Mamba wrote:This is actually good new imo. With the original right-to-left format, the story will flow much better imo. I'm still waiting for a right-to-left version of Ghost in the Shell and Akira. Damn you Dark Horse!!

^^ Heheh, that's odd, but I guess then I concider myself weird. I've seen (not read since I don't know Japanese) the original format of the manga, and it seemed perfectly the same to me, except...backwards...or forwards. You know what I mean! :oops:

But I suppose nowadays the left to right style for manga just isn't there anymore, because of what jeni said: takes too long to edit!
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?