Ghost in the Shell Innocence region 2 (British) cover

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Wow, screens. Thanks Motoko2030! And awsome this menu looks as well. I want this to come out in the US so bad!!
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

:( So unfair we don't get this....

And yes, I will order the british version.

Do you think it'd play on dvd players on computers?
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

marto_motoko wrote: Do you think it'd play on dvd players on computers?

It depends on the player. You'll need to do some preparations, first, unless you want to invest to two DVD-players with different codes on your comp.

First go to the firmware page and see if they have altered firmware for your player. If they do, use it and you should have a region free drive. If they don't, well, you're screwed. There are other places to seek, but I don't think that there are as large archieves as that. You can try the manufacturer's page, as well, but those aren't usually much help.

That's not enough, though. The playing programs check the area code, as well. To trick them, you'll need a suitable program, such as the DVD-Genie, which has worked perfectly for me - it's free, too.

Or if you want to go the easier way, buy a region free DVD player and watch stuff on your TV, in the traditional way. Plenty of specialized electronics stores carry region free players and the 'Net is always a choice.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Motoko2030 wrote: A boxed set containing both Innocence and the original Ghost in the Shell priced about £24.99
Voila! Beautiful extra, that shall be the thing on my 'get now!' list! I'll go see if I can preorder, and then, so do! :D

Thank you Motoko2030 for being just about the most informational person that I have ever come across!
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

http://www.dvdactive.com/home/index.html is a good site to go for DVD news, another article on that site relating to Innocence was that region 2 (Britain) is going to receive the Innocence Music Anthology DVD with the Innocence soundtrack CD (which region 1 got) and postcards(which never came with the region 1 release)
Individual Twelve
Location: British Summer Time, where everyone gets an hour less sleep.

Post by Individual Twelve »

So, you got a different cover to us Brits? What did you get, then?
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

:O Oooh, music anthology with POSTCARDS?! GETTING!!!!!
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Individual Twelve wrote:So, you got a different cover to us Brits? What did you get, then?

Us Colonists got a rush-job if ever, like a criminal in dire need of quick cosmetic surgery. Unforgiveable of Dreamworks who had the US distribution rights....
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Heheh, that shit piece of art was done by some joe-shmoe from Deviantart. I'm not kidding either, I know the guy's work.

The gynoid looks horrid! Where do those flaps even come from? If they were to be closed, they'd just hand on top of the body, because there's no open area for them to fill up! And what's with the hands, and retarded wires? Its like he tried to imitate the cool "making of a cyborg" image of Motoko that came with the special edition DVD of the first movie. Y'know, the one where she's underwater.

Bah, this cover makes me sick!
Individual Twelve
Location: British Summer Time, where everyone gets an hour less sleep.

Post by Individual Twelve »

GhostLine wrote:Image

Us Colonists got a rush-job if ever, like a criminal in dire need of quick cosmetic surgery. Unforgiveable of Dreamworks who had the US distribution rights....
Lol, it looks like they used the "The Guru" movie font on the title. What a crap cover... it looks more like some sort of Steven Seagal movie than the awe-inspiring anime masterpiece Innocence is.
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

It looks like a bootleg..
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

it looks awful, just like the cover of the first movie. trying to sell to the "usual" anime public. pathetic. those companies have no idea what they are marketing.
Oh well.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I got the white cover one instead of that one :P.

That was a major factor for me not picking it up when I saw it in the US. I don't understand Dreamworks giving free ad posters for it out at events with that artwork on it (the one used on the UK cover), then using such a different look for their domestic DVD. Weird.
Last edited by sonic on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Sylphisonic wrote:I think I have the one you got (marto)... I don't know because it's in the UK and I'm not, lol. But it looked just like that and claimed to be the special edition. It was on sale in HMV everywhere for 7 Pounds, so when I saw it I decided I had to pick it up at that price. I'd only watched a friend's tape and seen it at the cinema at the screening with the Production IG head before that.

The cover is rather pleasing, yeah. That was a major factor for me not picking it up when I saw it in the US. I don't understand Dreamworks giving free ad posters for it out at cons with that artwork on it (the one used on the UK cover), then using such a different look for their domestic DVD. Weird.

Did the Music Anthology DVD come out with a soundtrack in the end? If so, as I need both it'd be a good purchase for me.

The English dub on the UK DVD is ehhh. The actors are not a problem in the least, but the scripting changes are alarmingly off. I assume there are no better Eng. language lines on any DVD version of Innocence though. All in all, if your sight is fine it's better to read the subs.
I prefer Innocence is subs personally. There's certain things that are wonderful just the way they are - mostly, the way Kim laughs seems to stick with me best.

As for the Music Anthology, only the special edition of it comes with the soundtrack, but it is well worth it. It's only about $5 more, and comes with a cool silver cover with a raised image of the Gynoid and Gabu - it's the one most well known, and was used as the UK Innocence cover.

marto
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Mmm... still don't have the music DVD -> krunks head to computer :shock:

As to the dubs... Naturally I default to subs now we have the choice with new stuff, but I sometimes try out the dubs just to see if they're any good lol XD. About 25% of the time I actually like them equally or better... or differently, heh heh. It's fun having two or three performances to choose from on a film if they're all really excellent and different. Innocence gets my vote for subs though; it's just so right... XD