Is Innocence worth watching?

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Snatcher wrote:The official translation for Innocence (Japan and US) was done by Linda Hoaglund and Judith Aley, and man is it really good. I did change some bits in my personal version (which I don't consider a fansub, although I guess it is a fan corrected official track, which would make, well, a fansub).
Somehow I forgot we were talking about Innocence here. I was referring to SAC when I was talking, well ok ranting, about Dave Flemming. Still it proves my point about different translators.
douyang

Post by douyang »

Anyone know where I can get a copy with Japanese audio and english subs? Besides from the net? Or do they only sell the english dub in the U.S?

I have to agree with snatcher here. I hate it when some translator goes and alters the meaning and content of the dialogue so that it comes out as what they think it means rather than what the original writer intended. Plus I always believed the english voice acting to be subpar and unable to convey the right nuances and emotional depth.
Snatcher

Post by Snatcher »

The Dub is only available in the UK release, and maybe other european releases. Here is a breakdown of all versions I have tested so far:

Collector's Box:
Disc 1
Video:
6,412 MB
Audio:
AC3 5.1 EX Japanese 114 MB
DTS 5.1 ES Japanese 192 MB
Disc 2
Video:
4,024 MB
Audio:
AC3 2CH Japanese 31 MB
AC3 2CH Japanese 76 MB

International Edition: (Has english subs, disc 2 only)
Disc 1
Video:
6,602 MB
Audio:
DTS ES Japanese 555 MB
AC3 2CH Japanese 329 MB
Disc 2
Video:
4,040 MB
Audio:
AC3 5.1 Japanese 337 MB
AC3 2CH Japanese 145 MB

UK Edition: (Has english subs and dub, PAL)
Disc 1
Video:
5,859 MB
Audio:
AC3 5.1 English 317 MB
AC3 2CH English 158 MB
AC3 5.1 Japanese 317 MB
AC3 2CH Japanese 158 MB
Disc 2
Video:
5,813 MB
Audio:
DTS 5.1 English 535 MB
DTS 5.1 Japanese 535 MB

US Edition: (Has english subs)
Video:
4,594 MB
Audio:
AC3 5.1 Japanese 328 MB
AC3 2CH Japanese 140 MB

Chinese Edition: (Has english subs, PAL)
Video:
6,705 MB
Audio:
DTS 5.1 Japanese 541 MB
AC3 5.1 Japanese 276 MB

I also happen too have a Korean edition, but I am 90% sure it is a bootleg. It has the video and menus of the original japanese release, with the dts audio and english subtitles.
孤独に歩め、悪をなさず
求めるところは少なく
林の中の象のように
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

So .... did you see it?

What did you think????

Yeh, you can only get the sub here. It is amazing! Very noir. Very melancholy. Quite beautiful, and intricate.

After you watched you should read the "after the long goodbye" book.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
douyang

Post by douyang »

Great stuff. Very melancholy and dark atmosphere, nice jazz pieces, a fascinating storyline exploring human egotism through the desire to recreate oneself, and the sadism inherent in human beings through wanting to have sentient beings to torture to obtain sexual gratification (hence the dolls).

The only gripe I had was the director using the movie to preach his personal buddhist philosophies as a solution to the conflicts in his story.

I actually prefer SAC, it's much more practical and centered around real world issues.

The part where Kim mind-f***s Togusa half to death is hilarious. Take that, self-deluding human ego! :lol:

I got tired of "After the Long Goodbye" because I couldn't relate to its theme of Batou being unsure of his humanity the reality of his emotions.