Ghost in the Shell Live Action Teaser Trailer (2017)

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

What do you think of the trailer?

Great
No votes
Good
50%
Average
No votes
Mediocre
No votes
Bad
25%
Awful!
25%

Total votes: 4

Kojima

Ghost in the Shell Live Action Teaser Trailer (2017)

Post by Kojima »

Sorry it took me so long to deliver, it's just that I watched the teaser trailer and I was in utter shock and trauma trying to recuperate from what I just watched. :shock:
I warn you: This is not looking good for the film, but that is just IMO... Okay, This is the link to the trailer from YT Channel Zero Media. Tell me, what do you think of the trailer and give me a vote too.

Ghost in the Shell Teaser Trailer #1
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves." -- Lao Tzu.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

I thought it looked good. I'm interested to know what you didn't like.... Was it the format of the ten second trailers...or just the overall look of the film?

I hoping we'll see more of the film soon. IMDb lists Ghost in the Shell taking a big popularity plunge, so I hope it will spur them to release more footage.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I didn't like the small size.

I do like that they didn't contain spoilers and if they were billed as "here is what the film looks like" then they'd be better. But a still image is better than a ten second thing that moves.

I am a hater of the new trendy editing style that has fast cuts. I think it is a substitute for actual action used by poor story tellers to trick your brain into thinking there is a lot going on when there really is not. And these ten second blasts stunk of that method.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

GhostLine wrote:I thought it looked good. I'm interested to know what you didn't like.... Was it the format of the ten second trailers...or just the overall look of the film?
The overall look of the film is pretty much what I am choosing for dislikes, although the ten second trailers compilation doesn't help either. :(
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves." -- Lao Tzu.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

It's one of those movie-making challenges, I suppose...trying to please new viewers and old fans. This is what made 1984 DUNE difficult to create. They hired an out-of-the-box director to tackle a sci-fi property of immense depth, adapting the impossible into film. What resulted was an editing nightmare that disappointed hardcore fans and left the general public scratching their heads. The result was a young David Lynch (who had been on the heels of his Elephantman success) washing his hands of the film altogether and the studio had to hire someone to recut the whole thing. It was a disaster...but still there are some who love that film, because it was beautiful and ambitious, but just missed the target. One of the best film scores though...IMHO.

With this production, they brought on a director also with little under his belt, yet probably is going to toe the line for the studios. It may be an interesting product...or become sanitized. I seriously doubt they would have allowed Sanders to get too artsy...but it also risks causing the film to give up the ghost (pun intended). They also may not know how to market this...which is why they strictly premiered the trailer(s) on a US sci-fi program and the net.

My prediction is that it will flop, and it will be up to pre-existing fans to love it or hate it. Like DUNE. It would behoove Sanders to make a thing of perfection and earn artistic credit and fan's awe...because even if it fails, even flops are known to catch fire down the road and the director is lauded as a genius.

I thought the visuals in the trailers were keen so far, but I know many were thrown off.

In my mind, GitS has always been a detective show with existential elements. In the few seconds of the trailer(s) I picked up that they are truly to infuse a lot of the existential themes from 95 gits, such as the monastic bell music and what I assume will be ma moments. We shall see how well they balance the whole film out.

I'm interested in what Aramaki is up to. It also has not been lost on me that he empties out a revolver chamber...which brings up Togusa's Mateba to mind.

What also catches me is the women asking the Major..."What are you?" makes me think that perhaps full cyberization has not quite caught on in this film.
knave

Post by knave »

Hello all. First post and all that. :)

Just wondered what everyone thinks of the recently released extended trailer?

As a GitS fan (started with the manga, moved on to SAC then the movies then Arise) I HATED the idea of an American live action version of GitS (largely because I thought they would dumb it down beyond recognition), hated the casting (I like Johansson but thought she was wrong for the role) so I was super negative. Whilst I'm still not Mr Positive about it, I'm warming to theses trailers, especially having seen the live action "shelling scene" which is encouraging.

One thing I've not noticed anyone mention yet is that they seem to have taken parts from SAC and the movie so this might not be a direct translation of anything we've already got.

Anyway, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the new material released.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

For me Arise was a whole new thing. The anime and the manga worked reasonably well together I thought. The movies felt alien, but they are so old now that I'm comfortable with them. Then Arise. It re-wrote the Section 9 back story, it re-wrote Motokos back story. It changed everything.

I think this new movie will be like that again. I'm expecting to see certain scenes that are iconic (they've already shown a couple of them in the the new ad) but we don't know what story will be the main thing. If its true to form the main story won't be the main story. The main story will be what at first looks like a sub plot or character interaction.

I'm looking forward to it and trying to keep expectations low. Fingers crossed that it's a good one.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Hi knave!

For quite a while, it was being put out that this film would feature The Laughing Man storyline, but as it turns out, it will actually be Kuze from 2nd Gig.

The geisha house scene is certainly related to the First episode of Stand Alone Complex.

I think Sanders is going with the theme/tone of the original film, but going with the complex storyline of SAC/2nd Gig. We shall see.

Is there more that you have seen?
knave

Post by knave »

Well, the extended trailer which made me think it was based on SAC but then this which is clearly the movie:

https://youtu.be/F5amv-vqUFo

Seems to be a "mash up"
You can find my artwork at:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/krisknave/
Redbubble: http://www.redbubble.com/people/krisknave
Twitter: @krisknave