Scarlett Johansson Signs On to Star in DreamWorks GITS

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

StuckInTheShell

Scarlett Johansson Signs On to Star in DreamWorks GITS

Post by StuckInTheShell »

GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

I am happy to see anything of more GitS. I guess we'll see how it all plays out...as I know there are a lot of fans who aren't thrilled about this....particularly what licenses DreamWorks will take to the story...particularly in light of their poor treatment of the US DVD release of Innocence years ago.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

There has been an online petition garnering so far 28k signatures just short of the goal of 29k...regarding the choice of DreamWorks to cast Scarlett Johansson, a non-Asian for the role of Motoko Kusanagi.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/683/366/ ... m=22503826
Luke

Post by Luke »

I can't help but think they chose quite an unfortunate picture for this petition. Pale, pointy chins, big blue eyes, it's probably the most SJ has ever resembled Motoko.
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

My guess is that they feel they need a big name star as a draw (well, don't they always?).

The brother of one of my friends is the costume designer for this film. He also did the costume design for Mockingjay, and I have high hopes that the GitS designs will look as cool (although appropriate to GitS, of course).
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Jeff Georgeson wrote:The brother of one of my friends is the costume designer for this film. He also did the costume design for Mockingjay, and I have high hopes that the GitS designs will look as cool (although appropriate to GitS, of course).
Pleasepleaseplease get him access to the original source materials if he is not already looking. New is good, but "new" is a direction and it needs a starting point.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Yup! Already done! (Actually, my friend's the one who's already done it; he's very very into GitS as well.)

Jeff
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
GhostLine

Release Date Changed

Post by GhostLine »

The Live-Action Film has been moved up two weeks...was April 14, 2017, now it will be released on March 31st, 2017.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Paramount Pictures now wants a piece of the action, as they are now stepping in to co-produce and co-finance the film alongside Dreamworks. Disney/Touchstone will handle distribution, but Paramount will now take charge of international distribution. This film is going to be a BIG DEAL, folks!
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Does "co-produce" mean "have influence on the story"?

I'm reminded of that one scene in Armageddon where Steve Buscemi is saying over-and-over "Don't screw up"
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.