Motoko's Back Symbols

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

Amethyst

Motoko's Back Symbols

Post by Amethyst »

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if there is any meaning behind the symbols present on The Majors back in the first movie.

Forgive me if it's been answered already elsewhere, I did try and search!

Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I don't think that has been asked before. Here is my take on it.

They are not symbols, since she is fully cyberized those are access ports. Some for electrical connection, some for data, and perhaps even some for a screw driver to disassemble?

Here is a picture of a robot Geisha from episode 1. Head blown off, but a variation on the connectors remains visible.

In several episodes you see guards wearing 'dummy attack barriers' that are essentially disposable hardware firewalls against cyber attack. They were them the same way you'd wear a gorget.

My google-fu failed me and I could not find a picture of Aramaki wired up, but in one episode there is a scene where he wants to have a private discussion with a guy and so he physically links up with the guy using these jacks in the back of the head.

A lot of pictures show that folks are getting these as tattoos.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

You can actually see it in the 1st season's opening:

You should probably check this page out: http://alexanderwelitschko.deviantart.c ... -314999713
Freitag wrote:A lot of pictures show that folks are getting these as tattoos.
Like those ones for instance: (which I quite like 8) )

Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Amethyst

Post by Amethyst »

Hi,

I was aware of the connection ports located in the neck. I meant more specifically the symbols on the back.

Thanks for the replies!
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

I assume they`re also only ports because I don't think anything was said about those. They probably look different only because those ones were "designed" by Oshii, but if someone else has more details, I'm really curious to know. 8)
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Freitag

Post by Freitag »

People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.