GITS 2.0

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

Colmy_DD

sorry to say..

Post by Colmy_DD »

I have notice through out this tread, everyone has been positive towards this new version of the original GitS film so i shall bring some balance into this thread as when i first read the post i was sceptical for many reasons.
The first being, considering the trailers i have seen for the recent Neon Genesis Evangelion film, i feel that the 3-D graphics, though might improve the whole experience of GitS and bring to light a new set of fans, i feel the original film is kept in context with the graphics it has as it is a reminder that this is a mans vision of the future and so the graphics of the time i feel not only suit the film but act as a boundry to show his 'vision' that has not become reality.

The next point would be that the music, i read in one of the links, was
the new soundtrack with Kenji Kawai's original music and a final mix that has been produced at Thom and Lucas Digital's Skywalker Sound studio in California
from the anime news network site. my worry is if anything is added to the backingtrack as its simplicity is complexity in itself but adds complexity to the film as it makes the audience think and wonder for what the true meaning is and create their own opinions.

Finally i feel that this is part of some hollywood exploitation of anime as we are having the classics redone for us with new graphics and better quality this and that but i feel that GitS needs to die down for a while as each part of the franchise is a masterpiece to show how depth in social analysis can be shown to the public without losing interest or contorting things to a hypodermic message where the director is telling us what to think. The series invokes the freedom to consume media without being bound to a set view, thus promoting freedom to hold opinions and then discuss them with others. What i fear is that not only will other anime classics, like Akira, will suffer the same fate but also that the true meaning of the text might be lost as to enable it to be shown to a western audience so it can consume the text. The other part to this is the fact that there might be another series released when the film reaches us and it has become another manufactured asset of the Hollywood world thus making GitS losing its true meaning and so will lose many of the original fans.
What i'd thought i'd do is pretend to be one of those individuals... or should i??
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Some more details from ANN:

Terashima also confirmed that Manga Entertainment will be handling the North American release of Ghost in the Shell 2.0 (pictured at right), the enhanced edition of the 1995 movie. Manga will announce its plans for the film at the San Diego's Comic-Con International.

Here is the complete article: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... rs/episode

Does anyone know when this convention is?
Last edited by THYREN on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

July 24-27, I think.
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
p2501

Post by p2501 »

I cried when seeing the trailer for 2.0. Tears of JOY
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Does anyone have any news about the San Diego's Comic-Con International?

And the movie was supposed to be released in theatre about a month ago but I haven`t really heard anything about it. :cry:
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

I just received this from cdjapan:

Ghost in the Shell 2.0 Blu-ray Box
(English Subtitles) [Limited Edition] (Blu-ray)
Price: Yen- 12800, US$(116.23) Release Date: 19-Dec-2008
Mamoru Oshii's legendary anime film "Ghost In The Shell" returns
in a stunning new edition remastered by Mamoru Oshii himself.
Revised so much as to warrant a "version 2.0" heading, the new
edition of this film features newly-done CG cuts and complete
digital remastering to prepare it for this amazing new Blu-ray release.
Disc also features new recordings from the original cast, revised
music from Kenji Kawai, and 6.1 channel sound created with the
help of Skywalker Sound. Limited edition premium box also includes
original version of the film, bonus disc with making-of footage, one
newly recorded audio CD, and deluxe booklet (*Note: original version
of the film the same as that packaged with the Blu-ray disc sold
August 2007). Blu-ray specs: (Version 2.0) Doby TrueHD 6.1 channel
sound with parts in Stereo Linear PCM. (Original Version) Linear
PCM (Dolby Surround and stero) plus Dolby Digital (Dolby Surround).
Includes English subtitles.

Here's the link to the ordering page: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCXA-101

You can also get a "regular" edition.

(** edit ** Looks like these are Region 2 encoded.)

Wee-hoo! :D

--Jeff
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Wait, doesn't blu-ray not have region encoding? I thought any blu-ray can be played on any PS3 regardless of location.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Hmmm ... maybe they just mean the regular version (on DVD) is Region 2, even though they've listed the Blu-Ray as Region 2 as well.

Blu-Ray supports region encoding, but the regions have changed; Japan and the US are both in Region A. I can't remember what the PS3's abilities are.

Jeff
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Jeff Georgeson wrote:Hmmm ... maybe they just mean the regular version (on DVD) is Region 2, even though they've listed the Blu-Ray as Region 2 as well.

Blu-Ray supports region encoding, but the regions have changed; Japan and the US are both in Region A. I can't remember what the PS3's abilities are.

Jeff
I'm going to be ordering the special edition of this as soon as I can get the money for it.

mm
StuckInTheShell

Post by StuckInTheShell »

marto_motoko wrote:Wait, doesn't blu-ray not have region encoding? I thought any blu-ray can be played on any PS3 regardless of location.
Blu-Ray does have region encoding but its different compared to regular DVDs. Lucky for us, Japan and the USA are in the same region :D
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

StuckInTheShell wrote:
marto_motoko wrote:Wait, doesn't blu-ray not have region encoding? I thought any blu-ray can be played on any PS3 regardless of location.
Blu-Ray does have region encoding but its different compared to regular DVDs. Lucky for us, Japan and the USA are in the same region :D
My only issue with that, it's saying it's region 2, and Japan and USA are region 1.... >_>

So it wouldn't work for me, huh?

mm