Innocence's Intro: person reflection inside the gynoïd's eye

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

THYREN

Innocence's Intro: person reflection inside the gynoïd's eye

Post by THYREN »

We already had that thread on the forum before the crashes, but because I can't find anything about it on the net, I'm posting it again.

For those who didn't notice, if you look thoroughly on the right side of the gynoïd's eye (at the end of the introduction scene), you'll see a person's face (probably a female).

Moreover, when you listen to the audio commentary, Oshii mentions that it's someone he's caring about (can't remember what he exactly said) but we don't really know more than that.

I'll try to make a screen shot of it...

Any suggestion on who it could be ??? IMHO, it doesn't look like Motoko or any other known character. It could have been the little girl (who's saved at the end) but again, I don't think she really looks like her...
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

MiNaeClem

Post by MiNaeClem »

Well in the commentary Oshii talks about that reflection. However he doesn't say what it is.
Some things are too important to be taken seriously.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I believe that is Oshii's dog who is in the reflection of the gynoid's eye.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

all i know is the text in the eye says 2501 and hadaly (stating the obvious this is the name of the gynoid model and a robot from the novel 'Tomorrow's Eve'/'l'eve futur').

reading way too much into this (like every good obsessive fanboy should) the 2501 would suggest that the eye belongs to the gynoid kusangagi uses. So prehaps the image is batou..

That's a bit of a stretch though it's probably just the basset hound again :P . (would say it could be a tribute to shirow but I don't think he appears in photos.. maybe he's a vampire..)
(wild rumour about vampires started here est 2006 ;) )

edit: actually I think the number is 2052 not 2501, so ignore everything I just said :P damn low definition screen.. :wink:
Last edited by Elmo on Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
RealFact#9

Post by RealFact#9 »

Actually, the reflection in the gynoid was the gynoid itself. It was meant to show that the gynoids had a soul. Y'know the saying, "The window to a person's soul is through their eyes." More than anything else it was foreshadowing.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

ah that makes sense, reflections are a repeating theme in the GitS mythos they reflect the form, showing what is human, but in itself is not human. Like an android built in image of a human being, but not human in itself. I guess it's similar in meaning to all those images of kusanagi floating into her own reflection- is humanity reflected within the body?
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

well, batou and togusa discuss looking into mirrors,
so what does an android perceive when it looks in the mirror?
especially a sexaroid having a dubbed-ghost...
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

has anyone got a screencap of the eye?
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Here is the pic:

It doesn't look like a basset hound or Batou to me at all.

The shaggy hair reminds me of Togusa, and the thing on the forehead makes it look like the 'mechanical Togusa', but I don't see why he would be there.

Like what RealFact#9 said, it does look like someone, that's for sure, but maybe not the gynoid. Could be the little girl though, as (after all) she IS the gynoid's soul...
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

It has an angry look to it. Maybe its a memory trying to get out.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Tricky to see really, the face looks young, and the wide eyes imply scared or angry (the Japanese have a thing about eyes, not mouths when it comes to emotions). Could it be a glimpse of the child's mind trapped in the doll? If I remember the story correctly they were ghost dubbing children onto the dolls where they not? It's a while since I watched it last so forgive my vaguery ;)
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

On a personal hunch, I'd say it's the image of the gynoid. That, or the little girl from the end of the film, which Oshii, during the commentary viewing of the film, mentioned was someone dear to him. Perhaps a daugher (if he has one), or a niece. (again, if he has one.)

Who knows, but it certainly isn't Togusa, Batou, or Gabriel.

marto
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

It actually looks a little like Chucky :shock:
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Hehe, that was my first though, it's the combination of the childish face, wild eyes and the distorted forehead ;)
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

O___o You people have demented sight for things....
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?