SAC 2nd Gig episode 19 - Chain Reaction

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

Sorry guys, can't play/debate for a bit. To much reality in the form of Irish Cinema and Renisance Dramatists papers, as well as a happy vacation. (be in your ... uh ...third of the country, Al, going to hang with my brother in Tennessee.

Some shorties, Oh yeh, Mr. Peanut for sure!, and hehehe soundtrack joke, hehehe YeY let loose your inner smartass!

and finally, bah humbug, its borring to be perfect, I will always take my Johnny Rottens before Ricky Martins, Crabby goofy Batou's before Dolf Lundgrens, and my just as screwed up as the rest of us Major, before the perfect body, perfect acting, pefect perfectness view of the major. Im always going to "criticize" her cause she is an interesting character. If she was boring I wouldnt bother.

(and I still think she screwed up, :P )

See you all in a bit.....
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Peanut Echo

Death by Misery

Post by Peanut Echo »

Hi all.

Is Kuze the first boy the Major ever loved from the episode "Affection"? After the contact she said that she knew him.

If he is the boy from the hospital then maybe that's when he meant when he told her that if she touched him she would recognize him and be miserable. Kuze is in this so deep that she'll probably have to kill him after a lifetime of vaguely looking for each other.

"Induction" (I think that's the title. Is that the first ep to introduce Kuze?) was on last night and I noticed a folded crane on the rearview mirror while Kuze was driving and philosophizing to himself.

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I'm very new ^_^
:-)
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

In short yes it is, although I'm not sure if they come out and say it directly. That is the first of many paper cranes to appear and they make it more obvious towards the end.
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I also remembered at the end of Chain Reaction episode that she said that she some how knew him; I always had a feeling after watching the Affection episode that they would meet up again but I never knew that he would turn out to be Kuze.
Peanut Echo

Post by Peanut Echo »

Elmo wrote:In short yes it is, although I'm not sure if they come out and say it directly. That is the first of many paper cranes to appear and they make it more obvious towards the end.
Can you tell me where else the paper cranes appear? It will give me something extra to watch for. Maybe I'll even do a shot everytime I catch one. :lol:
:-)
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

They appeared in the episode called Inductance, that is episode 5, Affection, which is episode 11 and the episodes after Chain Reaction, which is episode 19.
douyang

Post by douyang »

Lightice wrote: They are properties that usually aren't expected from machines of war. What if one suddenly refused to fight because life is infinately precious, or even turn on it's comrades due to sympathy towards the enemy? Such scenarios must be eliminated before you can safely have units like Tachikomas in the field.
These could pose problems, but are not really different from those you would face with human operatives. If the Tachis can be convinced of the worthiness of their cause and be convinced to voluntarily work for section 9 like the major or Batou did, then this wouldn't be such a problem.

I see the real problem with having sentient machines acting in the role a human would fill as the fact that social norms and attitudes have not caught up to the Tachis' level of sentience. Even in the highly cyberized world of Gits, they are still seen as machines that are the property of their owners and have no rights, and can be exploited, abused, dismantled (killed as it were), and in general have their entire existence and every action or decision they make under the god-like control of their human masters. Even their minds fall under a great deal of censorship and regulation in the form of memory wipes and such.

As the Tachis grow more mentally human, they probably would, like humans, really resent the fact of their slavery.
Gillsing

Post by Gillsing »

Personally I would've taken the risk with the tachikomas, because they really didn't seem to exhibit any signs of malevolence or strict adherence to instructions that would make them hurt people for no reason. Well, except for that one time when a tachikoma threw a dog away and didn't quite seem to understand why that was wrong. But the girl didn't explain that throwing the dog away hurt the dog, and that was probably the one thing the tachikoma didn't know. The only time the tachikomas disobeyed orders was when their sense of duty was overridden by their curiosity. I guess that's undependable, but hey, better a somewhat undependable AI tank than no AI tank at all. Well, most of the time anyway.
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

I think it was more the idea that they were undependable rather than any risk of them harming anyone or actively rebeling. They had the awareness and personality of a concious individual without the understanding of concepts like work, duty etc. that would be needed for their new personalities to work reliably in a combat situation(presumably this is what the 'agent function' added). Better to have a dependable human covering your back during an operation than an AI tank who could become distracted or confused by some new connection that their developing psyches don't yet understand.
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
pliskin

Post by pliskin »

Sorry for the dig.
But one of the rookies smoked opium? :x
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

pliskin wrote:Sorry for the dig.

Unlikely. Not exactly smart on the job. You can smoke normal cigarettes in opium town, you know - though I can't remember anybody doing even that. :wink:

Perhaps I should start contributing this forum again a bit more than these oneliners...
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

pliskin wrote:Sorry for the dig.
I do remember seeing something like that (is it in the last episode?) but I assumed he was "just" smoking weed. Why do you think it is opium?
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Lightice

Post by Lightice »

THYREN wrote: I do remember seeing something like that (is it in the last episode?)

The rookies don't appear in the last episode. And why would they be smoking weed, either? There is such thing as tobacco, you know.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!