Solid State Society

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Motoko2030 wrote:does it explain why Motoko left Section 9 after the events of SAC 2nd Gig?
Sort of, it explains what she was feeling, but it's left a bit ambiguous as to why she feels that way. Prehaps she's not entirely sure herself. Mainly it seems to be that when she left section9 she had reached a similar state of mind to that of Motoko Kusanagi from the first film, feeling frustrated by the constraints of the system and only able to expand with those constraints she attempts to live a life free of them by leaving section 9 and working independently. Her character is struggling with similar issues to her movie counterpart but reaches a different conclusion.

Maybe this was brought on by what happened at the end of 2nd GIG, she certainly seemed a bit jaded and disconnected after the finale.
Last edited by Elmo on Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
ultace

Post by ultace »

Hate to disrupt this but when will SSS come to R1
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Bandai are saying that they'll release it in 2007.
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
ultace

Post by ultace »

dam the agoney
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Motoko2030 wrote:For those of you who have watched SSS and can understand what is going on, does it explain why Motoko left Section 9 after the events of SAC 2nd Gig?
To be honest with you, I'm pretty sure she mentions it to Batou at one point but the subs I had so far were absolutely useless :?

Fortunately, I just found a good one so I'll be able to check that soon :wink:
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Well, I just saw it, though without subs, since the only subs I was able to get my hands on were off synch and low quality.

Despite of it, it certainly seemed interesting, though I'm dying to learn what the parts my lowly Japanese skills were unable to comprehend were about. Here's my commentary with spoilers:
Spoiler wrote:Visually the whole thing seemed quite impressive. However, it seemed like the quality of 3D animation had actually gone down a notch. The Tachikomas seemed like they were floating in air, rather than moving on ground and some of the buildings seemed like unfinished architect's presentations than proper skyscrapers. Being in middle of an empty field emphasized this even further.

The music was terrific - every new tune, save for the less than interesting ending music was superb, though there could have been more of them.

The new character designs were quite good. Togusa had become darker and seemed less naïve than in the earlier series. Batou seemed strange, not smiling even once, which is extremely uncharacteristic for his SAC incarnation, but presumably there is a good plot reason behind this. Curiously Aramaki and Major didn't seem to have changed a bit.

While I can't comment much of the plot, yet, there were few things I'd like to comment about. First, Togusa's daughter. Didn't he have three children in the SAC? Which one of them this girl is - her apparent age doesn't seem to fit with any one of them, as far as I can remember.
The Tachikomas' resurrection wasn't much of a surprise to me. I just hope that if the series is continued, Kamiyama will leave this running gag behind - a noble sacrifice is touching at the first time and it wasn't bad in the second, but the effect doesn't really work when the characters always get reborn, afterwards. Incidentally, as far as I could understand the explanation for why the (F)Uchikoma's hadn't become sentient, I wasn't really satisfied - sure, intelligent machines is something signifigant, but it just made them a simple plot-device that could be pushed out of the way as soon as possible.
The ending, as far as I could understand it, was bit of a dissapointment. As soon as the 2nd Gig hand ended and Solid State Society had begun with a feeling that some signifigant changes are taking place, it all goes back to normal in the end, once again. One can only take so many such endings before it becomes dull. I hope that if there's a 3rd Gig, we'll finally see a dramatic, mindblowing ending that GitS deserves.

I'll undoubtedly have more to say, once I see the whole thing with proper subtitles.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Lightice wrote:Well, I just saw it, though without subs, since the only subs I was able to get my hands on were off synch and low quality.

Despite of it, it certainly seemed interesting, though I'm dying to learn what the parts my lowly Japanese skills were unable to comprehend were about. Here's my commentary with spoilers:
Spoiler wrote:Visually the whole thing seemed quite impressive. However, it seemed like the quality of 3D animation had actually gone down a notch. The Tachikomas seemed like they were floating in air, rather than moving on ground and some of the buildings seemed like unfinished architect's presentations than proper skyscrapers. Being in middle of an empty field emphasized this even further.

The music was terrific - every new tune, save for the less than interesting ending music was superb, though there could have been more of them.

The new character designs were quite good. Togusa had become darker and seemed less naïve than in the earlier series. Batou seemed strange, not smiling even once, which is extremely uncharacteristic for his SAC incarnation, but presumably there is a good plot reason behind this. Curiously Aramaki and Major didn't seem to have changed a bit.

While I can't comment much of the plot, yet, there were few things I'd like to comment about. First, Togusa's daughter. Didn't he have three children in the SAC? Which one of them this girl is - her apparent age doesn't seem to fit with any one of them, as far as I can remember.
The Tachikomas' resurrection wasn't much of a surprise to me. I just hope that if the series is continued, Kamiyama will leave this running gag behind - a noble sacrifice is touching at the first time and it wasn't bad in the second, but the effect doesn't really work when the characters always get reborn, afterwards. Incidentally, as far as I could understand the explanation for why the (F)Uchikoma's hadn't become sentient, I wasn't really satisfied - sure, intelligent machines is something signifigant, but it just made them a simple plot-device that could be pushed out of the way as soon as possible.
The ending, as far as I could understand it, was bit of a dissapointment. As soon as the 2nd Gig hand ended and Solid State Society had begun with a feeling that some signifigant changes are taking place, it all goes back to normal in the end, once again. One can only take so many such endings before it becomes dull. I hope that if there's a 3rd Gig, we'll finally see a dramatic, mindblowing ending that GitS deserves.

I'll undoubtedly have more to say, once I see the whole thing with proper subtitles.

Spoiler wrote:
Your question about Togusa's children is very pertinent. However, I only remember him having 2, not 3. In any case, we just see one of them (I'm pretty sure she's the oldest, so I don't see why her age wouldn't fit) which is really strange. I can't believe they just "forgot" such a major detail.

I'm not sure Togusa is darker, but he's definitely more mature, which makes sense because he lead the S9 for about 2 years now.

And I do agree with what you said about Batou: he actually reminds a lot about the Batou in Innocence.

Which reminds me that there are a lot of similarities with the movies, like the jump Motoko does at the beginning (like the 1st scene of the 1st movie) or the image of the city at the end (almost like the one at the end of the 1st movie again) ... or the whole thing about the puppeteer or even the kids (like in Innocence, and originally the manga).

I was also disappointed by the use of the 3D: nice cars, but the rest was quite dull.
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

jerryku

Post by jerryku »

Well, I just saw it. Assuming my subtitles were accurate... what a confusing but enjoyable movie o_O
I thought the story was pretty topical and interesting, if a bit unorthodox for a sci-fi story with gun fights and explosions. Old people being linked up with mistreated children. Weird. And Motoko's cyberconciousness evolving into a hacker / terrorist / social worker? Weird. To me the story didn't have as much of an impact as the story of 2nd GIG did. Something about 2nd GIG's misinformation warfare was really cool to me, but SSS's story had a lot of stories piled on top of the main story... with the Power Elite training program and ex-dictator stories, and they didn't seem very important. Just additional layers put there to confuse the viewer until the ending.

I enjoyed Innocence and this movie, but both movies seem to be developed to tell messages that seem awkwardly out of place.

I'm confused about the end conversation between Batou and Motoko. Batou seemed to be covering for Motoko, and Motoko seemed to be cool with that. Which I don't get since it's not like she was at fault, right? Her cyberconciousness took a life of its own, without her even knowing it. And why did the Tachis delete the conversation too? Hmph.

Also, Aramaki said that Munei had exploited the elderly in order to bring about his Power Elite program? But I missed how he was doing that. Can someone explain?

csulu

Post by csulu »

Really liked the movie , and it was easier to follow the story as it was all in one movie.
Btw did anyone else notice the many GITS1 references.
Spoilers to be found here wrote:Motoko vs tank , motoko talking to the "puppeter" , the ending(but with a twist) , Batou's hand that was stopped etc.
jerryku wrote:Also, Aramaki said that Munei had exploited the elderly in order to bring about his Power Elite program? But I missed how he was doing that. Can someone explain?
My ideas on what the Solid State is
More spoilers to be found here wrote:well he exploited them by using their healtcare system , their money etc , and holding back the children they had conspired to get , aka the original Solid State.
Also as i see it as it was the old people plugged into those machines that was the hacker , and thus they hacked the parents of the children to steal the children.
It makes sense. The hacker/puppeter(as "he" used puppets to move around) said "he" was born out of a collective conscience(the old people).
The film did not say anything more about this , but i think it went this way.
The Old people was plugged into this system , and as they laid there they somehow manged to form a collective counscience trough their net(healtcare system).
Then they found a fitting "puppet" , namely the dead public official that I think was plugged into the healtcare system also , because he was dying. Then they used him to make the Solid State system work.
But then Munei exploited them to make the "power elite educating system".
This is why the "puppeter/hacker/old people" wanted to kill him.
It also makes sense now why the old man in the bed said "get away or you will end up dead" to Togusa.
They(old people) hacked him later , but did not managed to kill him thanks the to major.
"Here at section 9 we are good at both inteligence and knocking heads"
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know if the R1 release will be straight to DVD rather then airing on Adult Swim?
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I am sure that SSS will come out on DVD in region 1 before airing on Adult Swim.
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

i've only got to see SSS in japanese. A language my only understanding of comes from the series shogun. but at the end the major and batou are in the swimming pool room of section 9. Did she return to section 9 or was she never really gone?

also there is a long scene showing Batous hand and the Majors butt. It looks like that is were he wants to put his hand but in the end puts his arm around her shoulder. She doesn't move towards him or away from him. Almost like shes ignoring his touch all together. Does anyone know what the true relationship between them is.

Can't wait to see SSS with original dubs. The artwork and music are outstanding
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Epiphany wrote: Did she return to section 9 or was she never really gone?

To my limited ability with the language it seemed, that she returned, as the reason for her leaving was settled.

Ahem, the Japanese is the original dubs. You've already seen it.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Lightice wrote:
Epiphany wrote: Did she return to section 9 or was she never really gone?

To my limited ability with the language it seemed, that she returned, as the reason for her leaving was settled.

Ahem, the Japanese is the original dubs. You've already seen it.
Actually I was refering to the english dubs. I guess technically the original voices are a dub.
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

I just watched a horridly dubbed version. eeek.
Parts made no sense at all, though I can fill in with imagination till the R1 comes out.

Spoily question

Did anyone catch the Tachi's new names? I got Mars and Musashi, were there more mentioned?
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama