2nd GIG Episode: Poker Face

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

Lightice

Re: Yea back to the episode!

Post by Lightice »

Tonks_kittygoth wrote:I dont know the timeline, but since Batou managed not to get shot, earned the Major's seldom givin trust, and had his eyes in, I believe he was already post rangers. Plus hasnt it been established that he served in the world wars, and this acording to Saito was after them?

No, it's during the World War IV. Batou's eyes imply to Rangers, but his actions in the field pretty much tell that he's a rookie - I can only imagine, that he's passed the Rangers' training, but this is his first combat experience.
So What Is with those eyes anyways? Are they better than regular cyber eyes?
Are they the only ones you can have if you have a natural head?

Batou is a full-body cyborg in all continuums except the manga. His eyes seem to contain more options than regular eye-prosthetics, such as zoom and night-vision. Presumably they are cylinder-shaped and thus have more space than spherical eyeballs.
Where did you all get this info on Section 4?????
Is there a list of sections somewhere????

No. The Section 4 gets mentioned in the first movie and they are seen later in the 2nd Gig. Keep the question marks a bit more down, BTW. Four per question is a bit of an exaggeration. :wink:
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
thatguyfromoutwhere

Post by thatguyfromoutwhere »

Does anyone know the song when Saitou start telling his story from beginning?
Yet another reason they seriously need to release another disc of music from this series!
thats the reason i signed up to these forums...

MUST FIND THAT SONG!

the song during the duel is pretty cool too.
mirrormirror

Watch the Episode: Poker Face

Post by mirrormirror »

Found the complete episode on youtube. Enjoy!

Link removed by moderator
The Ego, the Self, perhaps even a Soul.
Jeni Nielsen

Re: Watch the Episode: Poker Face

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

mirrormirror wrote:Found the complete episode on youtube. Enjoy!
OMG NO! NO you tube link posts to ILLEGAL fansubs. mirrormirror this is your first warning.
Willowhugger

Post by Willowhugger »

I think Saito was lying to a large extent.

I do think that Motoko was a secret agent even then.

She's sortof like the GITs version of Solid Snake. Probably a soldier since the beginning.
Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p
mirrormirror

Post by mirrormirror »

srry. didn't realize
The Ego, the Self, perhaps even a Soul.
galupo

Need music info

Post by galupo »

I can't seem to find the song at the end of episode after he finshed telling the story. Can some one tell me the name of it or even better where i can find it what ost album
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Hmmm... old thread but it's gotta be worth reviving... It's all about my alter-ego in GiTS after all :)

This episode made me an absolute die-hard fan of Saito. I've always liked the idea of 'the sniper' as a character. It's so totally me.

The episode is really enthralling, it's got elements of a lot of classic war films built into it which is cool, and it shows just what kind of cool calculating person Saito is... but he's still not as good as the Major :)

Sadly, it's the only major piece of backstory and exposure Saito ever gets. Most of the time he's just some guy trying his best to blend into the shadows on top of a building, or get a steady shot from a chopper. His patient and considered approach, while still able to adapt instantly in a tight situation, makes him absolutely invaluable.

Like I say though, Saito *is* me for the most part. Quiet, a lone gunman, but totally committed to his unit.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Individual Twelve
Location: British Summer Time, where everyone gets an hour less sleep.

Post by Individual Twelve »

Saito wrote:Like I say though, Saito *is* me for the most part. Quiet, a lone gunman, but totally committed to his unit.
You're Saito, I'm Togusa. :P

*is too tired to make further comment*
Victor Mancini

Post by Victor Mancini »

Hey guys, I'm a long time GITS fan and this is my first post on this forum. I'm probably too late to the party, but I have a question that's been bugging me for a long time about Poker Face.

First I'm going to review the scene step by step and then explain what doesn't make sense to me, and hopefully some of you board members who are still active can explain what I'm missing so it makes sense.

Step 1: Motoko charges up the stairs of the Hospital, peeks her mirror around the corner, plugs her cyber brain into her rifle, charges out from behind the corner, fires 3 shots at Saito's jamming gear - destroying it, and holds her stance.

Step 2: Saito comes out from behind his cover, takes aim at Motoko, hesitates in fear from what he sees, and then returns to his cover without firing. He's terrified to his core because he can tell from her posture, that she's full cyborg and that he's about to die because she has superior reflexes.

Step 3: Saito runs a trial scenario in his head to see what will happen if he takes a shot at the major. Every simulation ends up the same with Motoko shooting down his bullet out of mid-air. And because Motoko's rifle is semi-automatic, and Saito's is only bolt-action, Motoko has the advantage of being able to fire a second round before Saito will be able to take cover, which will result in his defeat.

Step 4: Saito racks his brain for an alternate strategy and notices that the Major used 3 whole rounds to take out his jamming gear. Saito questions why the Major would use 3 shots to destroy the gear if she had mid-range fire control software installed, since she could easily do the job with one round, and comes to the conclusion that she in fact doesn't have the software yet. ...And that she's probably downloading it via a satellite link at that exact moment.

Step 5: "Get there first", says Saito in his head. He charges out from his cover to take a shot at Motoko before she has a chance to finish downloading the mid-range software. Of course this was all a bluff by the Major to lure Saito out from hiding and induce him to take a shot at her, (and the whole reason the flashback is taking place during a symbolic poker game.) Brilliant.

(Now this is what I don't understand)
Step 6: Motoko returns fire at Saito. But instead of shooting down his bullet out of mid air, and using the advantage of her semi-automatic rifle and mid-range fire control software to snipe Saito with a second shot, her bullet passes straight past Saito's bullet in mid air. Saito's shot grazes the Major's cheek, (which was a close call IMO), and her own shot passes through the scope of Saito's rifle scope destroying his left eye with the broken shards of glass.

Step 7: Motoko runs up to Saito's cover in the aftermath of the showdown and disables him by pinning his hand to the column with her knife, and says, "From now on you're mine." Saito responds, "You had the software all along". This confirms the Major's bluff.

Here's what makes no sense to me. Why didn't the stand-off end the way Saito simulated it? If Motoko was simply counting on Saito to narrowly miss putting a bullet in her head, and planning to use one round to disable Saito without shooting down his shot first...why didn't she shoot at him in STEP 2? Why bother bluffing at all?

The whole point of the bluff was to get Saito to shoot first so she can shoot down his bullet and use the advantage of her semi-automatic and software to get a second shot at him before he can take cover. But in the end she didn't need Saito to shoot first at all because she didn't even bother shooting down his round or using the advantage of her semi-automatic. The whole bluff was for nothing which really sucks because she could've just opened fire at STEP 2 and had the same exact result.

I've watched the episode 6 times and I just don't get it.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

IMHO....

She had already decided to recruit him so she didn't want to kill him (a lobbed grenade from around the corner could have done that)

She had determined from how he was sniping that the interaction of the showdown would make a point that he would understand (and if he did not 'get it' then he is not who she wanted to hire anyway)

Also, the major is kind of a bitch and figured Saito would need a cyber upgrade anyway - she she just helped him along by shooting out his eye in a way that didn't go on and destroy his brain.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Victor Mancini

Post by Victor Mancini »

Freitag wrote:IMHO....

She had already decided to recruit him so she didn't want to kill him (a lobbed grenade from around the corner could have done that)

She had determined from how he was sniping that the interaction of the showdown would make a point that he would understand (and if he did not 'get it' then he is not who she wanted to hire anyway)

Also, the major is kind of a bitch and figured Saito would need a cyber upgrade anyway - she she just helped him along by shooting out his eye in a way that didn't go on and destroy his brain.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that, but it still doesn't explain why the Major didn't use her software to shoot down Saito's shot, and then use the advantage of her semi-automatic to fire the second shot intended to disable Saito.

It makes no sense.
miasma

Post by miasma »

Victor Mancini wrote:
Freitag wrote:IMHO....

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that, but it still doesn't explain why the Major didn't use her software to shoot down Saito's shot, and then use the advantage of her semi-automatic to fire the second shot intended to disable Saito.

It makes no sense.
I assumed that when the 2 bullets passed by each other, it was close enough that they changed each other's courses slightly (i think that's what the sound effect was indicating). This demonstrated to Saito that the Major was even more proficient with sniping than he had previously thought as i think it is a more difficult technical feat than his imaginary scenario.
Chroma

Post by Chroma »

Freitag wrote: She had determined from how he was sniping that the interaction of the showdown would make a point that he would understand (and if he did not 'get it' then he is not who she wanted to hire anyway)
I totally agree with this!
Motoko already knew she won (she had the royal flush in hand). The point was then to determine if Saitou believed in himself. She made him an exit way if he had the nuts to take it. And he gone all in! (For our greatest pleasure ^^)
Freitag wrote: I assumed that when the 2 bullets passed by each other, it was close enough that they changed each other's courses slightly (i think that's what the sound effect was indicating).
Interesting theory.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

That second theory is from Miasma. I'm not sure I'd have come up with that independently, but they sure did get close (only missing because of round off error in the firing solution from two versions of the same software solving the same flight dynamics problem?)
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.