Why do you watch Ghost in the Shell: SAC?

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

cyfer

Post by cyfer »

By far the best anime I've seen. I love the animation. I love the intelligence and underlying philospophy. I find Motoko to be a compelling character. The entire premise of the story is tremendously thought provoking. The fact that the main character is a cyborg but still maintains her humanity is endlessly intriguing and I have yet to get tired of it. Much of the anime that appears in America is simplistic and childish to me but this appeals to my intellect and mixes it with what's cool. I can't say enough about it.
my psychiatrist says that i may be suffering from a previously undiscovered and undiagnosed mental disease. i find it disturbing. i find it disturbing because i HAVE no psychiatrist...
douyang

Post by douyang »

It raises interesting questions as to what it means to be "human" and whether having biologically human parts really matters or not. The show forces us to really question what it is that makes a person (as in a sentient being, not necessarily human) differ from more primitive animals and machines programmed to simulate humans (like the section 9 operators).

Having just watched the season 1 episode where the Tachikomas try to stop the major from shutting them down provokes questions about the ethics of creating machines with that level of sentience for use as property and equipment, and what her (and by extension human society) real motives are for wanting to keep the Tachikomas from having personality and other characteristics of sentient beings. It's this kind of what-if scenario that makes the Gits world interesting and believable.

By the way, has anyone ever read "Flowers for Algernon"?
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

I've been a devoted ghost in the shell fan since 1995, and it was only natural I would pick up Stand Alone Complex. However, I wasn't pleased at all with the first season. I guess to extends even slightly dissapointed. When I first heard of Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG, I wasn't sure if I should even waste my cash, concidering only my fandom fueled the desire to aquire the dvds. However all of that changed once I found out that my inspiration in art, Mamoru Oshii, was directing the new season. Now, I watch it, because the story is better, the characters are more involved, the show has an even further developed feel, and the art has improved on leaps through progress. In other words, it could be said that soon the show might even reach the amazing quality that the movies held. :)
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
shadowferret

Post by shadowferret »

I got into Anime one day, and I stumbled across this show. At first, I didn't like it, but as I matured, It grew to be one of my favorites. I liked the ending of the first season, what drew me in was the action, but I stayed for the philosophy of the Laughing Man. After seeing it, I bought the first movie, and thought it was pretty cool. Then, 2nd Gig started airing on TV, so I've seen every episode so far. Midway through, I bought Innocence. It looked beautiful, and it only being in Japanese helped me to understand it better, due to being forced to read rather than hear. Right now, I'm still watching 2nd Gig, waiting for the newest episodes to come on.
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

I saw the first Movie not long after it came out on video, and liked it, but didn't really go mad for the whole thing. When I met my husband to be, he was a bit of a fanboy for it. We picked up Innocence, and the incredible visuals, as well as the philosophy and depth of character atracted me.
Also I'm a sucker for brooding men, so Batou was right up my alley in that one. Oh and puppies, also a sucker for puppies.

My husband started watching the show, but as I work 3rd shift, I had a hard time following, so I gave up on it. He picked up some of the dvd's and combined with rentals I was able to see the first season finally this Christmas season, and was hooked. I may now be a bigger fangirl than he is a fan boy.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
csulu

Post by csulu »

I watch SAC beacus:
I love police action :D
I like the story and setting/theme.
And the willingness to make a beliving world , and that they take their time with stuff.
"Here at section 9 we are good at both inteligence and knocking heads"
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

...it's better than Law & Order....
seriously, I like S.A.C. because it non-formulaic,
well-written, and cutting-edge.
AlphonseVanWorden

A stunningly short post!

Post by AlphonseVanWorden »

I'm a huge fan of the manga and the films. So of course I got into the series...

So why'd I stick with the series? I mean, as much of a Production IG and Shirow fan as I am, the show could have been lame...

But it wasn't.

Interesting takes on terrorism, information theory and technology, nationalism, bodies and mind-body dualism, evolution, and resistance.

And I enjoy all the film and literary references.
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

saw the first film many, many times :) branched out from there to all other things GitS. Wasn't that blown away by the first series, but I've watched 2nd GIG more times than the film now including several times all the way through in one sitting. :shock: The political machinations, information manipulation, philosophy, the memetic mimicry and the good old-fashioned crime solving
;it all rocked 100%. :D
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Peanut Echo

Post by Peanut Echo »

Hi!

I started watching GIG because of the Major. The first movie was good and I was kind of intrigued but not enough to seek it out. Then I caught a few episodes on Adult Swim and became intrigued. I was in a bad place at the time and the Major's tendencies to be equal parts aloof and involved was comforting to me for some reason. Her character was confident, controlled, competent, and elussive. The story lines challenged you to think. You really can't get the same calibre of discussions from Pokemon. :roll:
:-)
Ganta

Post by Ganta »

I'm a huge cyberpunk fan. I like the (early) works of William Gibson (Neuromancer) or the strange ideas of Philip K. Dick. Growing up in the 80s with the first available computers, I fantasized about being a powerful hacker, being cybernetical augmented etc.

Although I like SF-shows like Star-Trek, I prefer more realistic, thought provoking, darker themed fiction. Think Blade Runner or Minority Report (yes, both Philip K. Dick inspired). I also enjoyed the Shadowrun role-playing game, although the magic doesn't really fit in.

So GitS, and especially SAC, really fit into my "dark, realistic, 80s themed retro cyberpunk"-taste :D I enjoy SAC more than the movies because it is more action-oriented and allows more space for plot and character development. The whole "stand alone complex" conspiracy plot is a bit too intransparent for my liking. I prefer the single episodes like #2 on Gig1 (with the tank gone crazy).

On the other hand I bought the second manga (man-machine interface), because nothing else was available in german shops. I've got no f***** idea what's going on in this graphic novel! The movies are great, but especially "Innocence" can be to confusing without background knowledge. Next I should take a look into the GitS novels - I wonder if they're are easily available in Germany...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

I started watching one night because I couldn't sleep and it was on adultswim. The first episode I saw was the 5th of SAC. It seemed interesting so I TIVOed. Now I'm addicted. The images and the skill it was put together was what first impressed me. The depth of the story is what really got me hooked.
AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

Because its "Ghost In The Shell"
Thats it.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

It does live up to the quality of the franchise. It considerably underapreciated and underated. Just class
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED