Video Release

Talk about the live-action Ghost in the Shell film here
GhostLine

Video Release

Post by GhostLine »

Looks like the physical release (in its various forms) of the Live-Action Film is slated for July 25th, 2017. Quick turnover which is common for poorly performed films.

Many films this year are tanking, so I don't think it necessarily is because of the provocative issues that killed attendance, I think people are saving their pennies. Pirates 5 just bombed and it was considered one of the most anticipated films this year.
moreorless

Re: Video Release

Post by moreorless »

GhostLine wrote:Looks like the physical release (in its various forms) of the Live-Action Film is slated for July 25th, 2017. Quick turnover which is common for poorly performed films.

Many films this year are tanking, so I don't think it necessarily is because of the provocative issues that killed attendance, I think people are saving their pennies. Pirates 5 just bombed and it was considered one of the most anticipated films this year.
Around 4 months seems to be becoming the standard for all big blockbusters these days(probably to try and counter the increased threat of them being pirated) so I'd imagine that was always the plan, its likely more a case that if something shows excellent legs at the box office it pushes back the release a bit.

Box office wise I'd say personally that it was a combination of the GitS franchise not being that well known in a lot of the western mainstream(perhaps better in places like France?) and that issues like white washing and a general distaste for Hollywood anime adaptations that ment it was unlikely to get a positive critical reception unless it was truly exceptional cinema.

What actually comes to mind for me is Tron Legacy, granted that did a bit better but on a much larger budget and was considered to have underperformed. Again I think the issue was that the property whilst well known by genre filmmakers and more hardcore film fans really didn't have mainstream appeal. Equally I think the rather guilty comedown from the sugar rush of Avatar set it up for a backlash as the next tentpole 3D film.

Actually quite similar films for me as well, they don't have the reach of really hard sci fi classics but as action blockbusters I think there smarter than most plus actually commit to the drama of their story and building their world rather than becoming cluttered action/humour rollercoasters. Perhaps that's an issue at the box office as well? seems that audiences love the latter style these days(a good family friendly one?) although I spose you could argue they may value the former more on home release.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I wonder if there will be a directors cut of this one? More exposition would certainly fit the franchise.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
moreorless

Post by moreorless »

I can really see two sides there Freitag, its not done great at the box office so you could argue the studios would feel less inclined to put more money in. Equally though you could say the reverse and they actually have more reason to look for home release income plus arguably a property with more of a hardcore fanbase who will be willing to spend more. If something did happen here then I strongly suspect it will take longer to appear, 4 months isn't enough time for a directors cut plus of course studios love to get fans to double dip.

Not sure the film needs much more in the way of exposition personally, I felt the plot was easily understandable if perhaps a bit more challenging than your typical blockbuster. If it needs more of anything I would say its subtler character moments, we do again get more of those than is typical for a blockbuster but I wouldn't mind seeing a few more.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Just bought the Blu-Ray...haven't watched it yet. I must say that in spite of having bombed in the theaters, people have snapped up the new release as all of the Steelbooks were gone and just a few regular Blu-Rays were remaining when I purchased it.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Why is Walmart claiming an "exclusive". I can't tell from the ad if there is something extra in there or not.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ghost-In-The ... e/55749852
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Freitag wrote:Why is Walmart claiming an "exclusive". I can't tell from the ad if there is something extra in there or not.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ghost-In-The ... e/55749852
Looks like what I purchased from Best Buy. Not sure what is the Wal-Mart exclusive.

I just read that Live Action GitS is doing very well in DVD/Blu-Ray sales...and held a sizeable market share in its initial release week and is still selling well this week.
GhostLine

Connecticut Loves GitS

Post by GhostLine »

Wal-Mart lists the GitS live-action DVD as THE NUMBER ONE ITEM sold in their Connecticut stores in 2017. Not just DVD sales...number one in number of units sold!!!!

http://www.complex.com/life/2018/01/top ... each-state