GitS Live Action Film News

Talk about the live-action Ghost in the Shell film here
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

GhostLine wrote:
Freitag wrote:Do we know the voice is Kuze? When the body stepped into the light and was all messed up I immediately thought of Project 2501
I'm pretty sure it is, but not with full certainty. That would be a good twist if Kuze ended up being a 2501 puppet, worthy of a sequel.
Aha. I had not considered that he might be both! And there is precedent for that in the stories.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
knave

Post by knave »

Freitag wrote:
GhostLine wrote:I too am interested on how deep philosophically this will go...and I wonder if it will go only as deep as ARISE, The Major's own individual seeking versus larger postulations on life and what comprises a ghost.
This...

I used to get all bent out of shape when a story was retold and was different. I used to hate Bored of the Rings. Now I think it's hilarious. And when what's his face left out Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Downs I was initially upset. And then I saw the interview where he said there was just too much material and he cut it down boy focusing on the story of the ring. I got it then. It's teh same story from a differnt point of view. Events don't carry the same weight for people so they tell it differently. It's just like that in the Synoptic Gospels - four view points (And one of them is even pieced together as an after the fact report report written specifically for someone else)

And GitS was already in it's third iteration when I first became aware of it. I learned about GitS backwards: For me SAC was first; the movie was second; and the manga third. Each is telling the same stories bout the same people but with a different focus. So I was well prepared for Arise. The Major wasn't always a super wizard level hacker. She had to start somewhere. She was a noob at one time.

And the stories also reflect the culture to which they are told. In the original Manga cyberspace was a new thing, so seeing all the action that took place there was really cool. Prosthetics had just barely started the cycle of upgrades we're seeing now. Where can these two things lead? The world of Section 9 is a very plausible point along the path (1989 - I loved all the cyberpunk novels that came out in that era. Then the movie really focused on how the people would deal with this new world because the Internet was everywhere (1995). SAC went way deep philosophical dive on what it means to be "human" (to have a soul) using the now familiar backdrop of the world of Section 9 (2005) and the technology was updated to reflect 16 years of actual progress and what imagination had changed in that time. In that same year 2nd Gig looked more broadly at the common man and "real world" problems - politics and corporate mismanagement were huge issues. Arise (2013) sort of hits the reset on this. Now we're looking at those familiar characters dealing with and adapting to a new situation. Sure they've got fancy parts and robot mines that look like little kids, but now they've discovered for the first time that your identity can be hacked and you can't trust your own memory any more. We're back to the personal story and the first question "How does this affect me?"

Look at Mary Shelley's monster (1818). Everyone was terrified of science in those days. And now (almost 200 years later) Batou represents a far more invasive technology, but no one is afraid of the science. People have learned that science is just another tool. These days people worry about GMO (altering you on a cellular level, not just gluing on another part).

So I'm looking for two things out of GitS. I'm looking for characters I recognize in a more realistic view of the future (the fact that they are doing this as a live action show as an artistic choice means they are focusing on what parts of this are real) with the framework of some stories I'm familiar with. And the second thing I'm looking for is what makes those stories unique to this telling. What new thing is the story teller sharing with me?

Just please don't screw it up. I like these characters and am emotionally invested in them and their stories. I'm already miffed that in Arise Saito got turned into a psychopathic murderer instead of a level headed guy.
Wow, what a post. Sums up exactly how I feel.

I'm willing this film to be good because it's potential is vast and infinite (apologies) but I'm worried that they'll have to dumb it down so much it won't resemble the GitS we love. I also know that I have to take it in my stride on initial viewing because I remember when I first saw Arise - I was so disappointed when I saw how they'd changed the first meeting of Saito and The Major: that scene in SAC is so amazing but I got over that adds a few other issues I initially had and now I love Arise as a whole. I also hated Johansson's casting but I've got over that too now.

On that point: I wanted Kusanagi to be Japanese (not because of this white washing nonsense but because I always imagined her as Japanese) and have a more athletic, willowy build than Johansson, I still think Johansson is the wrong build for Kusanagi, but I think she looks ok in the trailers and I take the point about it being a generic body anyway. The overriding factor of course is that without an A list star, the film wouldn't get the funding it has and we wouldn't be seeing it realised as we are but I wish they'd put the budget generating, A-lister in as Batou and we'd had a Japanese Kusanagi but hey ho.

Anyway, still exciting stuff and if it's terrible, we still have a wealth of awesomeness still there for us to enjoy.
You can find my artwork at:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/krisknave/
Redbubble: http://www.redbubble.com/people/krisknave
Twitter: @krisknave
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

New GitS IMAX posters have been released:
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

14 IMAX theaters in the US are having a special GitS event on Feb. 28th, being put on by IMAX and Paramount.
Release Date:
March 31, 2017

Rating:
Not Yet Rated

Synopsis:

GHOST IN THE SHELL: AN IMAX FIRST LOOK FAN EVENT
In anticipation of the upcoming film “GHOST IN THE SHELL,” Paramount Pictures, Dreamworks Pictures and IMAX present a one-night-only event featuring an exclusive first look at stunning film footage exclusively in IMAX® theatres across 14 North American cities with select international markets and dates to follow. Attendees will receive a limited edition poster and have the opportunity to capture their experience in a film-centric experiential photo booth — “Becoming the Major.” IMAX theatres in Los Angeles and New York will also feature a special behind-the-scenes look at the costumes and props from the film.
Go see if this is happening at an IMAX near you...
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Um ... wow. This figure for the upcoming film seems exceedingly problematic given all the issues with whitewashing this production has had. I can't see it as anything other than racist, with the non-Japanese Kusanagi holding the decapitated head of the geisha (whose face is painted with the Japanese flag). It's like they're saying, "Screw all of you who think our choices were wrong! Look how wrong we're being now!"

Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
knave

Post by knave »

I never even thought of that when I looked at it! I'm sure there will be droves of the perpetually offended descending on it shortly.

The most offensive thing about that statue for me Is the face sculpt! It sold out of UK sellers really quickly too, god knows why. For some reason it seems that these companies really struggle to get a good likeness of Johansson. Even Hot Toys, who have nailed some amazingly strong likenesses recently, still can't get Johansson right.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

To me it looks like a morph partway between Johansson and the SAC Motoko.

Oh check out this. Adam Savage at WETA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KosBvDyWgnA&t=0s
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
knave

Post by knave »

Thanks for posting, great insights.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I watch a show from the BBC called Click and they had a segment on this past weekend that makes those giant video billboards we've seen in the clips not so far fetched any more

The sharing section on Click is a bit odd.

Click this link and then there should be a play button somewhere near the top of the screen. I believe I've got the time right for the start of the segment. It starts off "How many faces can you see...."
knave

Post by knave »

Last night they released animated character intro type things on Twitter (and probably elsewhere). Saito looks terrible. They've added a dangling cable from the Hawkeye. It looks terrible. It looks like he has a bath plug in his eye

Also, I've been meaning to ask for opinions here on this: they bill Johansson's GIF as "Major", like if that's her name. I also think in one of the trailers she says something like "this is major" as if Major is her name and not rank. What's with this? Are they are saying her name is major? Why change that of all things? It'll be so annoying during the film if that's the case.
stand-al0ne

Post by stand-al0ne »

After too long of a hiatus, I am back (Thanks Jeff!) and glad to see some old members still active on the boards.

I havent lost my passion for GiTS, esp with Awakening mini-series and GiTS New Movie (saw it in theaters last year woohoo!), but the live-action movie made me wonder if a surge of potential new GiTS fans would be arriving here at the forums.

There may be a bigger splash once people watch the movie, but who knows...either way it piqued my interest to come back to the community, hopefully share some ideas, and def discuss the new movie once it drops.

I'm keeping expectations low, well as low as I can allow them to be. Some of the "adaptations" have made me sad/frustrated, but I will be the first to say I think ScarJo, at least visually, embodies the spirit and image of the Major, so I am happy.
Very sad Pazu is a no-show (he was my fav SAC supporting character), and I'm not sure how I feel about Togusa's character....

But much to discuss and looking forward to that!
Now time for me to catch up on discussions I've missed!

Best,

Stand-al0ne
Image "Fortune Favors the Brave"
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Was at the theater tonight to watch Hidden Figures. Saw the GitS standee. I too have reservations but can't help looking forward to watching it.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

I like how in these posters that the Major's thermoptic suit is less flesh-colored and more of a light gray.Image
That WETA Major statue I thought was terrible looking...which is the main reason I didn't link it.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

New trailer clip, highlighting the Major's reaction to waking up inside her cyberbody.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvMwVivVN20
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

knave wrote:Also, I've been meaning to ask for opinions here on this: they bill Johansson's GIF as "Major", like if that's her name. I also think in one of the trailers she says something like "this is major" as if Major is her name and not rank. What's with this? Are they are saying her name is major? Why change that of all things? It'll be so annoying during the film if that's the case.
From what I understand, her name is just Major. If it is Motoko, it will be probably revealed as it looks as if her identity is largely wiped-out. UPDATE: According to the Art Of Ghost in the Shell Book, her name is MAJOR MIRA KILLIAN.
it could be her name, but it also could be a story twist.

Watched the twitter motions posters you mention. Looks like there is a new S9 member, "Ladriya," played by Danusia Samal. I was wondering who this woman was in the trailer...the scene centered on Cutter where Togusa is in the corner off to the right and a woman off to the left. Now I know...Ladriya.