ARISE: Sleepless Eye manga

Here you'll find news and tidbits about the upcoming Ghost in the Shell anime "Arise"!
GhostLine

ARISE: Sleepless Eye manga

Post by GhostLine »

New manga has been published...crunchyroll says that it is about how Batou and The Major first encounter each other.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... -the-major
In my further research, sites providing full scans and english translation of the 45 page release are already out there. Not sure of the international legality of it, but just wanted to say it's on the move.
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Quite disappointed by the chapter actually. :?

Since there is no spoiler tag here, I`m warning you: SPOILER !! !! !!

The art is meh and the story is actually centered on Batou and is a kind of a remake of one of the SAC episodes (the one where he has to take care of one of his ex ranger comrade).

We see a little bit of Motoko and she looks a lot more sexy than in the new anime (probably because her clothes look shorter and the way she poses) ... but that`s it.

Nothing about anyone else, nothing about section 9 itself, nothing about the rest of the world (i.e. world war) so, yeah, I am disappointed. Hopefully, the next one will be more interesting...
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Not sure what I think about Motoko's design in this art. I like the color cover, but in the interior art she looks a bit like Tetsuo and out-of-proportion. Actually, the anime art looks out-of-proportion, too; her arms look like twigs.

I love the figures, though :)
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

I have to agree with sharing my disappointment with the chapter...especially regarding the regurgitation of SAC episode 7: Idolator...trying to figure out the point of that.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

She looks like a child. How long will she tool around in that chassis?
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

GhostLine wrote:I have to agree with sharing my disappointment with the chapter...especially regarding the regurgitation of SAC episode 7: Idolator...trying to figure out the point of that.
Exactly! I still don`t understand the overlaps / gaps between Arise and SAC. Why would Arise`s story repeat some of SAC`s story when, at the same time, Batou seems to be the newbie instead of Togusa. :? It just doesn`t make sense.

I guess I shouldn`t look into this further because, after all, S9 is even using an MS surface tablet now, so I think there won`t be any logic in that new series ... they might have just turned the whole GitS universe into a cash cow à la Naruto ... I find this really scary :shock:

I just hope I`m completely wrong!
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

ARISE facebook page announced the publication of the 2nd part of Sleepless Eye.
If you have facebook, you should add them:
https://www.facebook.com/kokaku.arise
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Done...

EDIT: I no longer have a Facebook account. They kicked me out
Last edited by Freitag on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
TonyRedwood

Post by TonyRedwood »

SPOILERS ABOUT THE MANGA AND S.A.C. BELOW

GhostLine wrote:I have to agree with sharing my disappointment with the chapter...especially regarding the regurgitation of SAC episode 7: Idolator...trying to figure out the point of that.
Episode 7? The one about Marcelo Jarti and the ghost dubbing? Maybe I missed something because I didn't see any references in the manga chapter. Could you give a specific example?
THYREN wrote: The art is meh and the story is actually centered on Batou and is a kind of a remake of one of the SAC episodes (the one where he has to take care of one of his ex ranger comrade).
That episode is the one where the ex ranger is skinning people alive. It's true that in the manga there is also an ex partner of Batou's, but that's it, as far as I can tell. The killing methods, as well as the motives behind them, are completely different.

My opinion on Sleepless Eye is that its dialogue seems too simplistic, nothing like Shirow's manga. Also, everything seems very "matter of fact", I don't see any of the subtlety from the old manga. This feels like a nerfed GiTS overall.

On the other hand, this first chapter hints at a cool scene where Batou and Motoko meet for the first time. I can already imagine: "they were enemies in battle that later joined efforts to survive an all out attack from one of the war parties". Just check out those planes dropping bombs all over the place and blowing motoko to smithereens 8).
funknotik

Post by funknotik »

I think it looks awesome. Love the art style! Nothing gives me my cyberpunk fix like GITS. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ghost-in-the ... ?id=158554
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

I don't find it all that bad. Sexy-motoko is rather unnecessary, but outside of that I feel like the art seemed really cool. It is rather matter-of-fact with its presentation, but I do enjoy the visuals and the artist does great panel work, as well as portraying the flow of movement quite deliberately. I think it'll be cool to see the second volume.

You guys think we'll get this here in US?

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Chapter 2 is up on the net...it just took me to look up: "arise sleepless eye chapter 2" on search engine.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Alright, chapter 2 and 3 were really cool. : ] I loved the art!

The story is actually very well done, I love how dynamic everything is. Too many shots I think of the major in glorious poses, but I can't deny she does look pretty awesome.

I really love the think tank in the story, and the portrayal of her personality seems actually even a bit more adult than what is portrayed in the first 8 minutes of the actual Arise anime, which confuses me...
Can someone clear that up for me, or am I just being dense?

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Ghostless

Post by Ghostless »

Hi,

Anybody knows when chapter 7 is coming out ???