Trailer released

Here you'll find news and tidbits about the upcoming Ghost in the Shell anime "Arise"!
StuckInTheShell

Trailer released

Post by StuckInTheShell »

The official trailer has been released. Looks like it's a prequel to SAC (Aramaki has dark hair in the trailer).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb1c-T-ox-E
Ghostless

Re: Trailer released

Post by Ghostless »

StuckInTheShell wrote:The official trailer has been released. Looks like it's a prequel to SAC (Aramaki has dark hair in the trailer).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb1c-T-ox-E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzJ5yj8r ... detailpage

The confirmed presence of Characters such as Saito,Borma & Paz(SAC exclusive) leave no doubt to the fact that it's a prequel. :wink:
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Very exciting! It certainly draws in imagery from the original film...yet some new stuff.
Starts with city...very much like original film layout. Police responding to some emergency...smoke emanating from something...traffic accident? Motoko being introspective...then flash of a photo of a child Motoko surrounded by doctor and others. Mother next to her? Then it looks like she is being run through a cyborg diagnostic.
Cool Akira-esque cycle and suit. Back alley brawl with Paz? Aramaki emerges from the mist. Signature highrise backward drop into the cityscape.
StuckInTheShell

Post by StuckInTheShell »

From another forum

"This is gonna screw up continuity in the timeline, unless they are going the triple timeline route like Zelda, but basically this takes place 3 years before SAC but SAC happens over the course of 2030 - 2034, The original GITS takes place in 2029, 2 years after Arise, but it's assumed SAC only happens if she never meets the Puppet Master from the first timeline. However, It still causes a lot of problems of when and where WWIV takes place."
rednotdead

Post by rednotdead »

Also from another forum:

Honestly, I'm disappointed.

The new character design feels wrong. I appreciated how Motoko in all her previous incarnations was an able looking adult that matched her job and personality, but it looks like that's been tossed out the window. The final shot at the end of the opening sequence (with Section 9 standing together) is particularly cringeworthy. I get that this is a prequel - that doesn't mean that she should have the body of a child. I had some serious misgivings when I saw the initial character art weeks ago, but this is really worse than I had anticipiated.

The design of the (medical?) robot in the trailer looks silly to me.

The faces of the other members of Section 9 seems off -- it seems that the lead artist has trouble with eyebrows, and tends to squish character's facial features together to the center of the face.

The music is promising in some ways, but overall just isn't working. The theme in the titles sequence is atmospheric but lacks emotional strength - it's pleasant but hollow and too "light". The voice samples are a big part of the problem here. The "action" music in the second half of the trailer, on the other hand, is all sorts of bad. Generic guitar, oh, I'm enthralled. It's not well composed, nor does it feel like gits.
"Your flesh is a relic, a mere vessel. Hand over your flesh, and a new world awaits you...

We demand it."

- The Second Renaissance,
The Animatrix
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

While the only gripe I have with the trailer is how motoko's face looks when the camera's centered while she's in the shower, I'm very content with everything else!

I love the Fuchikoma-esque design of the cyberbody "nurse" that they show, that looks sick!!

I really like the movement they show in the alley scene, and the overall sound from the little glimpse the trailer offers seems very good.

Yoko Kanno I'm guessing? Sounds like her work. I love the sensual vocal track.

The style seems clean, and I like the fact that it seems to heavily echo to the manga's design in terms of character animation and stylization.

I do however have to say it'll be odd not seeing adult Motoko. I'm curious how old she is going to behave/ sound in the final product.

:) High hopes!

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

I do however have to say it'll be odd not seeing adult Motoko. I'm curious how old she is going to behave/ sound in the final product.
Maaya Sakamoto is cast as the new Motoko...she got her start playing young Motoko (after Batou's body switcheroo) at the end of original Ghost in the Shell film...so I think that is interesting.
Cornelius is touted as the man behind the music. He did the soundtrack for Appleseed: Ex Machina.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

GhostLine wrote:
Maaya Sakamoto is cast as the new Motoko...she got her start playing young Motoko (after Batou's body switcheroo) at the end of original Ghost in the Shell film...so I think that is interesting.
Cornelius is touted as the man behind the music. He did the soundtrack for Appleseed: Ex Machina.
Oooh interesting... isn't that VERY youthful though? I wonder what age they're aiming for her to fit.

Cornelius? Awesome. I enjoyed EX Machina's soundtrack, so I'll keep high hopes.
mm.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

marto_motoko wrote: :) High hopes!

mm

Ditto.

Did I see a blu-ray/DVD release date of July in there?
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Freitag wrote:
marto_motoko wrote: :) High hopes!

mm

Ditto.

Did I see a blu-ray/DVD release date of July in there?
YES! That really fired me up. I'm glad it's not going to be a year long affair before I can get my hands on it. :) I'm looking forward to seeing this. For some reason it really does give me an oddly similar vibe to the PS1 game's overall "feel". I love the fuchikoma in the trailer. The more I've watched it the more excited I get.

mm