Is Motoko's robot body "youthening"?

Here you'll find news and tidbits about the upcoming Ghost in the Shell anime "Arise"!
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Is Motoko's robot body "youthening"?

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

If Arise is a prequel (total guess at this point, of course, but just going by the youthful-looking Motoko), are we to believe that Motoko's robot body looked younger at some point? Do they replace it every few years? Does it age?

Or maybe it's not a robot body at all ... (although we'd have to be looking at some kind of continuity from either SAC or the first film to have an inkling of what her past might have been like).
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
Freitag

Re: Is Motoko's robot body "youthening"?

Post by Freitag »

Jeff Georgeson wrote:If Arise is a prequel (total guess at this point, of course, but just going by the youthful-looking Motoko), are we to believe that Motoko's robot body looked younger at some point? Do they replace it every few years? Does it age?

Or maybe it's not a robot body at all ... (although we'd have to be looking at some kind of continuity from either SAC or the first film to have an inkling of what her past might have been like).
She was cyberized as a small child - around 8? This body looks older than that. Since she can fully change her shell, she could be any size she wants - even a Jameson if she wanted. Blech.

But for the audience she'd have to have a form that tells part of her story. So I have no idea. The larger, flatter looking eyes are to my senses a lot more like the movie versions. Have to wait fro Feb 12 to find out more.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

I've always wondered about the life she lived prior to joining Section9. The manga seems to stipulate she was some form of assassin prior to being employed by Aramaki. So it will be interesting as to when they will start the story. ARISE sounds like a beginning to me...but I can't seem to not notice that her facial design is similar to the original film...so what is that supposed to mean?
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

I remember only two flashbacks about her past, and both are from SAC (so not sure if they`re "endorsed" by Shirow):
- in 1st season in episode Poker Face (the one with Batou and Ishikawa fighting Saito in a war... not sure which war btw :oops: )
- in 2nd GIG when we learn about the only two plane crash survivors.
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Poker Face and Chat Chat Chat are two of my favorite episodes and they area ll about character development. There is some action in PF, but even that is there only to advance the story.

And even then Batou was following her around like a puppy.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Violentidiot

Just flatter

Post by Violentidiot »

I'm under the impression that her look was updated rather than becoming younger. She's not as busty, but maybe it was a matter of taste amongst the staff.
I don't know what to say about this new look. She seems to be much more "anime."
...her suit reminds me of Kaneda's.
Ghostless

Post by Ghostless »

Youthening or not I don't know what to say,I'm not "Blown away" by her new look...nor is she "sexy" like SAC kusanagi(we can argue that it's overly done)nor is she a dark beauty like kusanagi from the movies

Look at her,she's pure perfection!!!
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

We have seen only 1 picture of her yet. Let`s wait until tomorrow, we`ll have a better idea of what she really looks like now :wink:

PS: welcome here 8)
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Ghostless

Post by Ghostless »

THYREN wrote:We have seen only 1 picture of her yet. Let`s wait until tomorrow, we`ll have a better idea of what she really looks like now :wink:

PS: welcome here 8)
Amen Brother!

I don't know if it's been mentioned but the livestream of tomorrow will have english subtitles ;)

PS no need to say welcome,I've been here for a couple of years already but like an idiot I lost my password :x does'nt matter now,this username is much cooler 8)
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Yeah I find it interesting that even though the show is dated a couple years ahead when we first meet The Major, she does look a good ten years younger...yet there is nothing to dictate that the age of her prosthesis has to match her actual human age.
I wonder if they made her younger to appeal to the next generation of viewers.... I am trying to not voice similar concerns that others have made about some fanservice intentions akin to underage looking characters in some anime...jeez I hope not...but I have to admit I share my fears that it is a possibility.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

GhostLine wrote:Yeah I find it interesting that even though the show is dated a couple years ahead when we first meet The Major, she does look a good ten years younger...yet there is nothing to dictate that the age of her prosthesis has to match her actual human age.
I wonder if they made her younger to appeal to the next generation of viewers.... I am trying to not voice similar concerns that others have made about some fanservice intentions akin to underage looking characters in some anime...jeez I hope not...but I have to admit I share my fears that it is a possibility.
Ghost in the Shell has always toyed with the idea that Motoko is only in a female body due to personal preference, but that her cybernetics are very much just that. Even in SSS her main body was hers, and she had a whole slew of males, females, etc. In the regular first season of SAC she followed Tachikoma around in a child's (teenage?...) body for an extended period of time. In Man Machine Interface they showed her getting fitted with new bodies that matched her personal age and development.

I really think that the notion of a child body is more-so to stress the disassociation that age can have with the actual development of year of a cyborg rather than something as benign as fan-service.

Silly question but you mention that it takes place a couple of years ahead of when we meet the major. Do we actually know what year this takes place in, or if it is actually even correlated to any of the pre-existing universes such as SAC?

To me it looks like it's a fresh start show that goes off of the manga's aesthetics, judging by the odd Fuchikoma nurse, the Fuchikoma tank, Saito, Batou, and Aramaki's appearance, which all resemble Shirow Masamune's style far closer than any previous incarnation.

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

The teaser trailer says A.D. 2027...two years before original GitS film takes place...but I do agree that it must be a reimagining in terms giving Motoko an all new look...I'm am just interested to see if she in in fact Section 9 mission leader...but if she is squaring off with Section9 folks, than she must be just be getting recruited.
Digital_Muesli

Post by Digital_Muesli »

I suppose that in the Gits universe only most skilled military and police members
have access to the state-of-the-art mechanized bodies so maybe at that time Kusanagi
has not achieved necessary rank or experience to have the body that we see in original
manga and movies.

However a smaller body offers tactical advantages against an enemy : harder to hit,
less weight, faster movements... a young girl look seems less suspicious between
the crowd. Maybe she switches her body depending on the mission parameters.

Or maybe it's just a new look :wink:

P.D : Sorry for my bad english :?
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Harder to hit assumes normal human aiming. I think cyber assisted aiming would make every shot very very accurate.

In this story the cyber assist is $17,000
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/ ... eal-world/

Recently the price was lowered to $7,000
http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconside ... le-on-sale
This article says $5,000, but the new price info I heard last week on a TV show.
Digital_Muesli

Post by Digital_Muesli »

Awesome; i didn't know such technology was avaliable for commercial use.
¡And works with Linux ! I got a couple of those ARM processors on my table, sure i can compile some kernels :D . ¡Future is open source!