The Book After the Long Goodbye. . .

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Marlene

The Book After the Long Goodbye. . .

Post by Marlene »

Can we use this section for discussion about the novels?

I just finished Ghost in the Shell: 2 After the Long GoodBye. It is a prequel to Innocence.

Has anyone else read it? What do you think?

I LOVED it. I really enjoyed the book.

Basic Story: Batou's Dog goes missing and it is his search for her. Along with fights, tanks, and a few mentions of Togusa. :)

Batou also does a lot of 'soul' searching, If he even has a soul, can he love and so on.

The movie Innocence is what made me fall in love with the character of Batou and this book added to the exprience.

I highly reccomend this book if you are a fan of Batou or just GitS.

Marlene
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

I think this belongs in the general section... So I'll go ahead and move it there.

As for the topic at hand, it certainly makes me want to read the book. Most people who know me here know I'm a Batou fangirl ^_^
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

After the Long Goodbyes:

What can I say? Kokaku Kidotai has done it again. I got the book the day it was released, and cherished it for four days of intence, slow (for full enjoyment), and very suspenceful in its own way reading.

There's a mention of a song called 'I'm a fool to love you' in there, and that's rather odd, concidering it's a favourite piece of mine, and a most deffinate jazz masterpiece in my personal opinion. I listened to it through majority of the reading which only made it more fun.

The story was very enticing, and most definately very personal to those who feel 'bonded' with the character Batou. For those who aren't, it created a very deep emphasis on his personal views and opinions, and also a very symbolic understanding of his emotions. I became a much bigger fan of him, and gained great admiration due to this masterpiece! I would recommend it to anyone who's looking for a touching, and nostalgic book to read.

Oh, and obviously, I must mention the one thing that I think made the book most dramatic: The basset houds, starting from the stray one, and ending with the ever so symbolic Gabriel (Gabu sure was a cute little pup, wasn't she?). This book's ability to show symbolism, a very strenghty backbone to the Ghost in the Shell series, was yet another step up for the amazing pluses of this book!

That's about it I guess.

M.M
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I have finished reading the novel and I enjoyed reading it, I liked it that we read what it is like to be Batou, the issues that he has to deal with since he has a cyber brain and it is good to find out what happens to Batou before the Innocence film.

I liked the artwork that is featured in the book.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Motoko2030 wrote:
I liked the artwork that is featured in the book.
The style was very soft, but held a very melancholic feeling to it. I think it was a perfect fit. I still wish I knew who the woman with the black hair and red eyes is however.

m.m.
MiNaeClem

Post by MiNaeClem »

The writer defined Batou's thoughts in a suitable way and it's fun to read sometimes too. There are few inconsistent parts I can't remember but noone expects better. The writer seems to be a Batou fan. :D
Some things are too important to be taken seriously.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

MiNaeClem wrote: The writer seems to be a Batou fan. :D

Or simply skilled in their profession! I'm sure Oshii hired that writer, because he was looking for someone who would dwelve into the character on a next, deeper level. I guess a level of intensity that isn't just a must, it's a basic expectation in Oshii's perfection-lusting eyes!
MiNaeClem

Post by MiNaeClem »

Oshii definetely has those eyes! :D He is obsessed with details and perfection right? :)
Some things are too important to be taken seriously.
Spica

Post by Spica »

Speaking of Batou's dog, did any of you notice in the final chapter of the original manga (Ghost Coastal) when Batou says, "Gabriella! Yoo-Hoo! Your dear 'husband' has returned..."

Of course in these circumstances I think that Gabriella is a human or an AI who takes care of his safe house.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Spica wrote: Of course in these circumstances I think that Gabriella is a human or an AI who takes care of his safe house.

...Or Batou might just be a typical dog owner, talking endearingly to his pet.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Spica

Post by Spica »

I don't think so, when Gabriella does not respond Motoko says, "Maybe she's away and her Gen 6 took over?"

If Gabriella were a dog, I doubt something would be taking over for her.
-Hamlet
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Or maybe motoko was kidding.

...another question. What manga was that from exactly? I've read and reread the mangas MMI, and the original, and I don't recall anything of the sort.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

marto_motoko wrote: ...another question. What manga was that from exactly? I've read and reread the mangas MMI, and the original, and I don't recall anything of the sort.

Well, the topic here is about the book After the Long Goodbye, that is based on Innocence. I haven't gotten it, yet, so I'm just prodding at possibilities, here.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

As for After the Long Goodbyes, do any of you know exactly how old Gabu is? I don't believe any mention of her age in the book.
Spica

Post by Spica »

marto_motoko wrote:Or maybe motoko was kidding.

...another question. What manga was that from exactly? I've read and reread the mangas MMI, and the original, and I don't recall anything of the sort.
Its from the final (all black and white) chapter of the first manga.
-Hamlet