The Book After the Long Goodbye. . .

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Spica wrote:
marto_motoko wrote:Or maybe motoko was kidding.

...another question. What manga was that from exactly? I've read and reread the mangas MMI, and the original, and I don't recall anything of the sort.
Its from the final (all black and white) chapter of the first manga.
:D Thank you! I will look at it right now!
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Mao Mantou Burger anyone?
i loved the novel...as i have said in other threads.
oh and FYI...if you remove the dustjacket, Psalm 139 is printed on the hardcover.
Marlene

Psalms

Post by Marlene »

what is the deal with the Psalms? I didn't understand that. Maybe is missed something in the book?

Anyone care to illuminate me?

Marlene
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Wonderful book

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

Masaki Yamada is an amazing author, apparently he is very famous in Japan.
After reading this book, which I thought was going to be a throw away, I wanted more from Yamada.
I hunted about for translations and only found one other, a Y.A. book on Amazon.com.
(I even emailed Locus which is reportedly the best scifi journal out, and they did not know of any.)

Do any of you know of translations of his work?

One of the most interesting parts was the Oshii/ Yamada interview in the end. Oshii talks about his belief in the value of all sentients, as well as spirit infused objects, such as dolls.

Has anyone seen the artwork for sale as a print?? Im in love with the cover.

Again I emailed Bandai to see if they had any intentions of prints but they never returned my email.

1 inconsistancy I noticed,

Cars, in the book they are mainly self driven but in the show/movies they make a point of always having a driver.

Petty I know...

Another fun thing is that it makes Gabrielle's expressions in the movie more poinent, like when they are trying to figure out where she should go while Batou and Togusa are gone, and she and Batou give that great look to Togusa.

She reminded me of Queen Victoria at that point! :D
AlphonseVanWorden

Post by AlphonseVanWorden »

Again, a thread I'd missed...

Marlene asked:
what is the deal with the Psalms? I didn't understand that. Maybe is missed something in the book?
I'll quote Robert Alter's essay on the Psalms from The Literary Guide to the Bible (Harvard University Press, 1987):
One of the most common themes in the collection [of Psalms] is death and rebirth... Most of the poems draw on a common repetoire of images: the gates of Sheol (the underworld), the darkness of the pit populated by mere shades, or, in an alternative marine setting, as in Jonah's thanksgiving psalm, the overwhelming breakers of the sea. Illness and other kinds of dangers, perhaps even spiritual distress, are represented as a descent into the underworld from which the Lord is entreated to bring the person back or, in the thanksgiving psalms, is praised for having brought him back...

It goes without saying that whatever themes the various psalms treat are caught in the heavily charged relationship between man and God. Thus, longing, dependence, desparation, exultation become elements in a series of remarkable love poems- once more, cutting across psalmodic genre- addressed by man to God. Religious experience attains a new contemplative and emotive inwardness in these poems. The radically new monotheistic idea that God is everywhere is rendered as the most immediately apprehended existential fact:

If I soar to heaven, you are there,
if I make my bed in Sheol, again you're there.
If I take wing with the dawn,
dwell at the end of the West,
there, too, your hand guides me,
your right hand holds me fast. (139:8-10)
That reference is about Self and Other, the human and the divine, the finite and the infinite, the creation and the creator, the lover and the beloved...

It's about made or created things.

And it's about the Divine always being with you, protecting you.

Psalm 139 is the Old Testament text that Togusa quotes in Innocence when he and Batou are discussing DNA, cities, and external memory. Batou responds to Togusa by saying- with some irony, I think- "The way you spout these spontaneous exotic references, I'd say your own external memory's pretty twisted."

In the King James Version, the Psalm reads:
O Lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.

Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.

Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb.

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!

If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.

For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.

Do not I hate them, O Lord, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?

I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi
Donshonto

Post by Donshonto »

GhostLine wrote:Mao Mantou Burger anyone?
i loved the novel...as i have said in other threads.
oh and FYI...if you remove the dustjacket, Psalm 139 is printed on the hardcover.
Yeah, I loved that little touch.