How close is real life with GITS.

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

AJB2K3

How close is real life with GITS.

Post by AJB2K3 »

While watching GITS SAC2nd GIG saito was talking about his induction (aka getting owned by the majour) and noticed the auto sensing rifle.

Does anyone realise how close technology is for that to happen?
Project cyborg showed it is possible now 2006, scary thought the the military hasn't already built on this work.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Anyone been following the news about C.Mitchell, the woman with the bionic arm? (yey more real life cyborgs!) along with the woman with her spine being rerouted externally and the man with the replacement eye this tech is showing great progression towards the perfect cybernetic prosthetics.. it's about time this stuff got put to practical use, the tech has been around for years..

Surgeons move nerves from the shoulder — nerves that used to be attached to the arm — and reconnect them to skin and muscles in the chest.

After those nerves are in place, the brain still thinks they are attached to the missing arm.

When Mitchell thinks about moving her arm, special sensors that have been placed over the rerouted nerves pick up the signals from the nerves and muscles, translating them into movement in the artificial arm.

The arm moves with the help of the former shoulder nerves that are now attached to the chest muscles.

The nerves rerouted to the skin of the chest let Mitchell feel what her prosthetic arm feels, including hot and cold sensations.

The rewiring does not happen overnight, though.

"It takes about three [months] to five months from the time of surgery for the nerves to grow in," said Dr. Todd Kuiken, director of the Neural Engineering Center for Artificial Limbs and Center for Bionic Medicine at the Chicago institute.

Kuiken led the team that developed the bionic arm with support from the National Institutes of Health.
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

Project cyborg seamed to have done a beter job of it by including remote robotic contor and they used sonar as a sensory input.
Im supprised the military has started on the sensorum rifle yet.
drescu

Post by drescu »

Elmo wrote:Anyone been following the news about C.Mitchell, the woman with the bionic arm?
Let me know when she's ghost-hacking :D

But seriously, I think about how GITS has taken a lot of cues from our everyday reality in urban centers.

- The use of cameras in public places
- Instant messenger technology
- The heavy manipulation of public opinion by media
- The uselessness of photographic evidence online

I mean, when the Tachikomas are talking about revealing the American Empire vessel on the net -- one of them dismisses the idea as a solution. "It would just become a humorous picture," one of them says. And it's right.

Cameras are everywhere. London has the most cameras per area in the world I've read. If they were just networked and wired up to facial recognition scanners, viola we would have IR systems used in GITS.

IM has a creepy similarity to constant multiplexed conversations -- like the major having the indepth interaction with those hackers on the net WHILE DRIVING. It's just an extension of the guy at dinner who won't stop text messaging while still saying in the conversation somewhat.
AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

drescu wrote:It's just an extension of the guy at dinner who won't stop text messaging while still saying in the conversation somewhat.
Women seam to be good at this :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marf

Post by Marf »

The technology is coming fast, "function creep" of existing networked systems is happening at an alarming rate(mobile phone tracking for example), cultured rat brains have been used to operate flight simulators, cameras can directly interface at basic level with the visual cortex of the brain to offer basic sight replacement, a quadraplegic controlling a computer cursor with a brain interface.

This is just of the top of my head and what is public, I would wager "black budget" technology is some 10 generations ahead of what we have access to.

The politics however I think is spot on, the media manipulation and misdirection, covert groups operating outside direct control of the elected parliament, false flag terror with political ends etc etc.

I think the next 10-20 years will see massive leaps forward in the fusing of humans with machines, whether this turns out to be positive or negative as a whole is a matter for debate.

While the idea of a cyborg body and brain offering vastly improved mental and phsyical capacity is hugely appealing, the oppurtunity for the more unscrupulous multiply exponentially.
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

With the fact that we are distroying our enviroment at such an alarming rate. I think that is one of the few options left to us. Even though we will need to find a way to reproduce.

I agree with MARF that somewhere in the black projects budjet there is probably a lot of money being spent on some form of bio-mechanical improvements. ( If improvement is the right word?) for our fragile bodies. If not mechanical then surely chemical.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Maybe Japan has armies of cyborg soldiers piloting gundam wings in secret underground bases waiting for the go :l-man:
AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

Marf wrote:Maybe Japan has armies of cyborg soldiers piloting gundam wings in secret underground bases waiting for the go :l-man:
Someone watch's far to much tv.
Marf

Post by Marf »

:P
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

AJB2K3 wrote:
Marf wrote:Maybe Japan has armies of cyborg soldiers piloting gundam wings in secret underground bases waiting for the go :l-man:
Someone watch's far to much tv.
Someone can't spell, now can they? :)

Someone watches far too much TV/television.

Just picking on you. :P

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Damnd of Hell

hello

Post by Damnd of Hell »

I use to be a forward observer in the Pa. Army national guard. I've been out for about five years now, but the technology that exists in targeting acquisition is much farther then shown. And in many cases very similar to what GITS has shown.

As a cop, the only difference between GITS and reality is that we don't have direct cerebreal (sp?) interface yet. Thermal imaging devices, as well as sniper sites and inderect voice gathering technology does exist.
marto_motoko

Re: hello

Post by marto_motoko »

Damnd of Hell wrote:I use to be a forward observer in the Pa. Army national guard. I've been out for about five years now, but the technology that exists in targeting acquisition is much farther then shown. And in many cases very similar to what GITS has shown.

As a cop, the only difference between GITS and reality is that we don't have direct cerebreal (sp?) interface yet. Thermal imaging devices, as well as sniper sites and inderect voice gathering technology does exist.
I think the media can be very much directly attributed to the fact that we know little of the actual capabilities of police/ army, if only due to the fact that most media likes to portray the forces as incapable/stupid/evil, rather than to show the prowess and capability of it (example, one man running away from "the law" when in reality, he'd be squashed like an insect).

Personally, I'd love to see the manually/automated capabilities of the most advanced military robotics, but sadly, the most I ever learn about are the new military rifles, and various RPG-like weaponry.

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Damnd of Hell

Hello

Post by Damnd of Hell »

For the most part GITS is very close to what we use today. They still use bullets, tasers, and hand to hand when necessary. The body armor they use in the series is vastly superior, but that would be a normal progression.

The camoflage they use is being developed, but for some reports the GITS would be close to the fifth generation. It's a comfort to see that Sato's rifle is still like the one produced today, the Barrett G3. The scope though is far more advanced, and something I know I won't see in my life time.
It does not matter wheather one belongs to the upper or lower ranks. If you have not placed your life on the line, at least once, there is cause for shame.