Ghost in the Shell On LCD TV

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

headpower

Ghost in the Shell On LCD TV

Post by headpower »

I donno if i should ask this question here or not. But i figure it relates to GITS. Did anyone here watch thier GITS stand alone complex and GIG on thier LCD-TV? I got a new 32 inch LCD TV, and when i start watching GITS on the new TV. the colour and detail had a great improvement but it lost all the crisp image when I watch it on my 37 sony 4:3 tv. Does that happen to anyone.
H-street

Post by H-street »

its probably more related to your LCD-TV than anything else..

mainly due to the native resolution of your LCD-TV vs your Sony..

DVDs are 720x480 resolution while your LCD-TV is probably 1280x720 or, if its a good one its 1920x1080..

because of this the TV has to scale the DVD upto the 1280x720 (or the LCD-TVs native resolution).. this can sometimes make the image look less than crisp..

on my 37" Westinghouse LCD TV, at a native resolution of 1920x1080, some DVDs can look less than spectacular. But if you watch HDTV that is at a native 1920x1080 resolution it looks stunning.

so its less the DVD and more that DVD's are nonHD..

hopefully HD-DVD will take off enough that players will get cheaper and then everything will be released in glorious HD-DVD high resolution format.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

There are also DVD-players, now, that are specifically designed to scale the DVDs into near-HD quality. Ofcourse they still don't look nearly as good, as actual HD-content, but better, than they would in an ordinary DVD-player.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
headpower

Post by headpower »

Thanks a lot, maybe i'll get a upconversion dvd player and see if it helps
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

The blue-ray and HD DVD players scale normal DVDs to 720p.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Motoko2030 wrote:The blue-ray and HD DVD players scale normal DVDs to 720p.

All of them? Well, that's good news - I wasn't sure if all of them had that property. But they'll never get it as good, as they would be without scaling. That would make the HD-DVDs and Blue Rays rather pointless, in themselves.

In any case, I'll wait until they'll be tenth of their current price ($1000 apiece).
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

The only ones that I heard that can scale normal DVDs to 720p are the new Samsung blue ray DVD player and I think the Toshiba HD DVD player, but you need a HDMI connector on the television to connect the players to it.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Motoko2030 wrote:but you need a HDMI connector on the television to connect the players to it.

Well, obviously. Though there are HDMI-DVI converters, if you have a HD-Ready TV with a DVI-connector instead of HDMI.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!