SPAM

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

mrtodd

Post by mrtodd »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
mrtodd wrote:do you get alot of spam on this forum then?? ive only been using the site a few days and there have been at least 3 from different bots or whatever...
Yeah this site gets more spam than any I've ever been on. I'm really trying to delete as much as possible, but I'm very overwhelmed. Sorry.
no dont worry about it this is the first GITS forum that has looked interesting and has prompted me to stay and join up! so your doing something rite!
mrtodd

Post by mrtodd »

would it be worth assigning more people with moderator powers to help clear up the mess??

i would offer my help but scince im very new here me thinks it would be shunned away..
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

mrtodd wrote:would it be worth assigning more people with moderator powers to help clear up the mess??

i would offer my help but scince im very new here me thinks it would be shunned away..
Jeff doesn't think it's a good idea to appoint more moderators until he fixes whatever's wrong with the software itself. But thanks for your offer. I really wish I could accept your offer, but it isn't up to me. :(
mrtodd

Post by mrtodd »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
mrtodd wrote:would it be worth assigning more people with moderator powers to help clear up the mess??

Jeff doesn't think it's a good idea to appoint more moderators until he fixes whatever's wrong with the software itself. But thanks for your offer. I really wish I could accept your offer, but it isn't up to me. :(
no worries, so is it a software problem thats causing the influx of spammers and spambots then?
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

mrtodd wrote:
Jeni Nielsen wrote:

no worries, so is it a software problem thats causing the influx of spammers and spambots then?
It's what our software isn't doing. There are ways to set up forums where spambots can't register. Like having me approve anyone who wants to join the forum. Or going drastic and banning certain IP addresses. Not all PHPBB forums have this kind of spam problem, so they must have certain additional measures in place. As I've said before I'm very computer dumb, I'm also not in the position to change anything.
mrtodd

Post by mrtodd »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
mrtodd wrote:
Jeni Nielsen wrote: Jeff doesn't think it's a good idea to appoint more moderators until he fixes whatever's wrong with the software itself. But thanks for your offer. I really wish I could accept your offer, but it isn't up to me. :(
It's what our software isn't doing. There are ways to set up forums where spambots can't register. Like having me approve anyone who wants to join the forum. Or going drastic and banning certain IP addresses. Not all PHPBB forums have this kind of spam problem, so they must have certain additional measures in place. As I've said before I'm very computer dumb, I'm also not in the position to change anything.
ahh i see... that makes sense now.. have you tried talking to mods and forum admin for other PHPBB forums to see what they do to stop the spam??
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

mrtodd wrote: ahh i see... that makes sense now.. have you tried talking to mods and forum admin for other PHPBB forums to see what they do to stop the spam??
I've thought about it. But then I think, well even if I find out something interesting, the only thing I can do is relay that information to Jeff and he's already looking into things on his end. So in the end, I'm just going to have to wait and see.
mrtodd

Post by mrtodd »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
mrtodd wrote: ahh i see... that makes sense now.. have you tried talking to mods and forum admin for other PHPBB forums to see what they do to stop the spam??
I've thought about it. But then I think, well even if I find out something interesting, the only thing I can do is relay that information to Jeff and he's already looking into things on his end. So in the end, I'm just going to have to wait and see.
I see what you mean. thats fair enuff..
mrtodd

Post by mrtodd »

i just found this which might help..

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=427852

:D
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

mrtodd wrote:i just found this which might help..

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=427852

:D
Thanks. I'll send it along to Jeff.
geckochan

Post by geckochan »

Just wanted to say thanks Jeni for your hard work, we appreciate it!
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

geckochan wrote:Just wanted to say thanks Jeni for your hard work, we appreciate it!
Thanks. I've said it before, but it always feels nice to be appreciated. But also thank Jeff too. Even though he's not around much he's still doing what he can on his end (afaik :) ) He's deleted a ton of spam accounts since they've started and I attribute that to the infrequency of spam these past couple of days.

But yeah. Thanks for saying thank you. It always helps.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

geckochan wrote:Just wanted to say thanks Jeni for your hard work, we appreciate it!
SUCKUP SUUUCK UP!!!!! :shock: :shock:

:P Just kidding. Actually, our moderator, and Jeff both deserve big-time applause for their amazingly hard work, and great job that they've done with the site!

Congratulations for surviving through the higher leading positions on this site, Jeni! Not many others could do it! :lol: (all in the spirit of the joke, of course)

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Marf

Post by Marf »

Jeez the spambots are working overtime at the moment huh :lol:
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Marf wrote:Jeez the spambots are working overtime at the moment huh :lol:
Actually I ran out of time this morning and didn't delete some spam in the forum. SO now you all can see what I have to go through twice a day every day. :)