SPAM

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

-Animae-

Post by -Animae- »

Why are there spam bots with 25+ posts that are not banned yet? I’m in no way questioning the dedication of the moderators to tackle this problem; I just think that the measures taken are not sufficient and not sustainable.

I think most here are in consensus with me here when I say that some measures must be taken, and I not posting this just to whine about something that does not please me.
I have some ideas how to solve this little situation, with varied degree of effort and effectiveness.

The easiest is to get more moderators, people who often frequent and can manually remove as much spam as possible.
Now this measure would only get rid of the symptoms so to speak, but it’s easy to implement and I don’t think that finding volunteers will be any problem.

Now for a more permanent solution;
Implement a system that requires all new users posting to have their post checked by a moderator before posting it on the boards. As it will be easy to make out the bots from people (the bots are not that smart, yet) this should guarantee that no spam ends up on this forum. Such a procedure would give you some work, but is easier that to scour out the whole of the boards to find the spam, damage already been done.
Unfortunately there is a hard part, to implement this system. As it is not my area of expertise I cannot help you on that part, but as they say if you look for something hard enough you will end up finding it.
Hope that this helps.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators the creator seeks--those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

-Animae- wrote:Why are there spam bots with 25+ posts that are not banned yet? I’m in no way questioning the dedication of the moderators to tackle this problem; I just think that the measures taken are not sufficient and not sustainable.

I think most here are in consensus with me here when I say that some measures must be taken, and I not posting this just to whine about something that does not please me.
I have some ideas how to solve this little situation, with varied degree of effort and effectiveness.

The easiest is to get more moderators, people who often frequent and can manually remove as much spam as possible.
Now this measure would only get rid of the symptoms so to speak, but it’s easy to implement and I don’t think that finding volunteers will be any problem.

Implement a system that requires all new users posting to have their post checked by a moderator before posting it on the boards. As it will be easy to make out the bots from people (the bots are not that smart, yet) this should guarantee that no spam ends up on this forum. Such a procedure would give you some work, but is easier that to scour out the whole of the boards to find the spam, damage already been done.
Unfortunately there is a hard part, to implement this system. As it is not my area of expertise I cannot help you on that part, but as they say if you look for something hard enough you will end up finding it.
Hope that this helps.
Please read all the posts where I say that while I'd like to do this

JEFF IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN DO THIS KIND OF THING. Apparently you didn't take the time to read the whole thread since other's have suggested EXACTLY what you've suggested. And I've responded to them. I've already asked him numerous times, and while he's responded to me saying he'll get to it, he still hasn't done anything as far as I know to update or fix these problems. I find posts like yours increadibly annoying since if you had read the thread beforehand you would already have known that I'm TRYING MY BEST to do WHAT I CAN to make this forum run smoothly.

Moderators do not have the ability to implement the kind of changes you're asking for. I can't ban people. I can't screen usernames, and frankly I'm taking time off of my busy day to deal with this stuff.

I understand you're trying to help, but please. I'm fed up and tired, and this was the straw. Sorry for raging at you, but I'm really tired.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
-Animae- wrote:Why are there spam bots with 25+ posts that are not banned yet? I’m in no way questioning the dedication of the moderators to tackle this problem; I just think that the measures taken are not sufficient and not sustainable.

Hope that this helps.
Please read all the posts where I say that while I'd like to do this

JEFF IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN DO THIS KIND OF THING. Apparently you didn't take the time to read the whole thread since other's have suggested EXACTLY what you've suggested. And I've responded to them. I've already asked him numerous times, and while he's responded to me saying he'll get to it, he still hasn't done anything as far as I know to update or fix these problems. I find posts like yours increadibly annoying since if you had read the thread beforehand you would already have known that I'm TRYING MY BEST to do WHAT I CAN to make this forum run smoothly.

Moderators do not have the ability to implement the kind of changes you're asking for. I can't ban people. I can't screen usernames, and frankly I'm taking time off of my busy day to deal with this stuff.

I understand you're trying to help, but please. I'm fed up and tired, and this was the straw. Sorry for raging at you, but I'm really tired.
Not only, but also, Our Friendly Moderator Jeni has said on various posts, that a moderator will be assigned ONCE JEFF UPDATED THE SITE!

That means that until then, it's up to you to simply IGNORE the spambots, and do not reply to any of their posts. She's doing her best, and while best intent is meant, as she said, only so much can be done.

thank you for your understanding,

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Marf

Post by Marf »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
Marf wrote:Jeez the spambots are working overtime at the moment huh :lol:
Actually I ran out of time this morning and didn't delete some spam in the forum. SO now you all can see what I have to go through twice a day every day. :)
No worries Jeni, I was just commenting on the fact it seems like the dark overlord of spam has heard our utterings against his minions and upped the ante somewhat :o
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Marf wrote:
Jeni Nielsen wrote:
Marf wrote:Jeez the spambots are working overtime at the moment huh :lol:
Actually I ran out of time this morning and didn't delete some spam in the forum. SO now you all can see what I have to go through twice a day every day. :)
No worries Jeni, I was just commenting on the fact it seems like the dark overlord of spam has heard our utterings against his minions and upped the ante somewhat :o

>_> The only two forums I go on (In the Shell, and Tekken Zaibatsu) are both completely bombarded with this issue. It's been like a plague, and members' understanding is highly important.

Marf, you're right. The overlords of spam have definately taken a liking to us. :lol: But, we have not to them.....

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

The good-for-nothing ghost in the machine speaks ... (does that sound overly dramatic or what :? )

Thanks, mrtodd, for that link earlier on. I'd already implemented all the items in section 2 of that list some time ago--spambots went away for awhile, but they "learned" to get around all that.

I haven't changed the registration to be "eyes only" because my eyes haven't been on the Boards--there would have been a lot of unhappy "real" registrants mixed in with the unhappy bots :(

I've just added an anti-spam mod. We'll see if that does anything.

Jeff
mrtodd

Post by mrtodd »

hey if we need someone to do the cleaning for a while then ill gladly do it.. :)
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Thanks! I think I've completed a general cleaning now ... I feel like I had to call in the "cleaners," like in the film Leon, or "housekeeping," like in Nikita :twisted:

Jeff