A review of the state of the franchise

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Freitag

A review of the state of the franchise

Post by Freitag »

30 minute video that covers pretty much everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H7fRNexE2c

The video was made before Arise episode 3 and before the Steam game First Assault came out.

It's interesting to watch.

I've not yet bought Innocence, and the guy has an opinion of the 2.0 version that I'm not sure echoes what I've heard here. Before I pick one to buy I'd like to hear feedback from here on this guys statements.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

I thought the video was well articulated and the observations were accurate regarding the first film and with SAC. I, however, felt that his treatment of Innocence was glossed-over and he too quickly dismissed the nuance in that film. Innocence probably led to some of the most lengthy discussions on this board and required lots of armchair research. Many feel that Innocence was over-eager in mashing philosophies together without any real thought, but I disagree.

As for his views on ARISE, I am not decided. I, too, feel uncertain as to the intended purpose of the show, except for introducing them to a new generation. I agree that it is nearly impossible to do better than SAC. It feels like ARISE is a regurgitation of old ideas and presented in a new stylistic way with a much more human Major. I enjoy it, but it's not revelatory like SAC.

It will be interesting to see how the new film will present this world...as it seems as it will borrow heavily from the 1995 film.

As for 2.0, it is not revelatory either. There are some interesting visuals that were added and changed it to more sepia tones...but I wouldn't say it changed it all together. It's worth seeing and appreciating, but I don't think it was an entirely successful attempt at whatever was trying to be accomplished.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I have a fan sub version of Innocence that has alternate dialog. When I got it I didn't realize it was different. Once I got the real thing I saw it right away. I need to re-watch it now but I almost prefer it. It really make Batau (and all of section 9) out to be a baddass. It's easy to interpret animated facial expressions a variety of ways and they all seemed to fit just as well as the original)
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.