Relating to others

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Luke

Relating to others

Post by Luke »

How to start this post...

So originally back in the day I was obviously drawn to the site through my appreciation of GITS but what made me actually sign up and start posting my opinion to absolute strangers as though I thought they'd care?

Not having many friends who are into Anime probably made me reach out over the vast and infinite web to chat rubbish about something I love but it soon became obvious that what started as one common interest quickly developed. As you get to know people its amazing how many similarities you share and other common interests that start and revolve around one thing that brought you all together.

When I have met fellow Anime enthusiasts I often find with the huge number of genres that we don't have much to talk about or haven't even seen the same shows. I even tried a local anime club without much luck as their was no discussion points they just sat in small separate groups, watched anime and left.

With all the constant new stuff out there and having a busy life I tend not to be up to date on it either so a lot of forums or review sites are often light years ahead of me or your dealing with extreme fans who like to cosplay etc

Although I only recently came back here and unfortunately replies seem thin on the ground (I'm thinking of starting a topic in the philosophy section like 'If I post on a forum and nobody is there to see it, did it really happen') I guess what I'm asking is what are your experiences meeting and relating to other people when it comes to something like anime or any other interests/passions?
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

This is why I like Git...as it seems to need viewers to employ critical thinking skills. There are actually deep things to mull over...as they don't hand information over on a platter, not wasting any time on explaining how their world operates; it;s either you observe and listen or you won't and get lost.

Lots of anime fans are into the fun animes that are high-concept with a great deal of cosplay potential...not really going to spend a lot of time forcing you to think about what happened and why.
LordGrise

Post by LordGrise »

I love GITS precisely because it does force you to think. As for reactions, I really don't discuss my love of GITS or other anime or gaming except with well, basically other gamers. I'm an utterly unapologetic nerd, have been my entire life, and that's mostly the folk I associate with.

When I bring it up at work, I get polite interest, the same as I offer when they talk about their passions - be it sports, or cars, or whatever. it's all good, and I don't judge, and since I'm one of the oldest there, they don't judge me, I don't think.