The Major - Movie Vs SAC Vs Arise Vs the Manga

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Luke

The Major - Movie Vs SAC Vs Arise Vs the Manga

Post by Luke »

I used to post here back in my college days which being 29 was quite some time ago. I have fond memories of what I remember as being some pretty deep, philosophical conversations plus many wasted hours! (in a good way) It's great to see the site still going strong, credit to Jeff and the other administrators!

Apologies that this topic has probably been done to death but I'd be
interested to know your preference on the major and her
reincarnations.

In the series you occasionally get snippets of scenes where the major
is lying in bed with one of her girlfriends or implied sexual
relationships with lesser known characters which was never used in
either movie. I assume this is more in keeping with the manga which,
yes cardinal sin, despite being a fan for so many years and despite
owning the first book, I still haven't got round to reading.
Personally I find these scenes unnecessary and don't add anything to the story or the character but maybe that's just me being a prude! What I do like about the series is that you get to see a lighter side to the Major than confined within the dark setting of the main movies.

My opinion on Arise is fairly short as I have only made it one and a
half episodes in. Despite my normal excitement over anything new to
the GITS world I have struggled with the music, character designs,
animation, general intelligence of the plots, change in director etc
etc however I'm sure this is simply me failing to adapt to new changes
and fresh ideas so I have no doubt my opinion will change when I
finally finish the new episodes.

Would be great to know what you guys think of the subtle and not so
subtle differences with the character and which you prefer, as well as
whether you think the manga has much to offer in further fleshing out
the Major after my experience with only the anime?

Cheers
Luke

Post by Luke »

As an update, I've started reading the manga, while I wait for a reply... hopefully some of these guests will quit lurking.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Hey Luke!

Although I like the SAC version of The Major the best...I cannot discount the indelible impression that the original film version imprinted in me brain. Oshii's work was clearly influential in SAC...which I think they had an advantage of two seasons and a feature length film to flesh out their interpretation of Motoko.

The manga, in my mind, was an experiment...but had this great central character in Motoko in that she didn't ever go chibi/cartoony on us...and remained enigmatic. That fact that she was a woman and the undisputed leader of the pack also was breaking new ground as far as I know...and I think Oshii did a great job of drawing from out of the manga a character that was even more elusive but very charismatic.

ARISE is different. There are elements to this Motoko that I like...very cool-headed and rational...but still not veteran enough to make poor decisions or poor judgments of character. I'm used to Motoko being several steps ahead and not having to play catchup, so that's different.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Oshii's work was clearly influential in SAC
I didn't even think of it that way, SAC definitely does feel like an extended version of the Oshii world. I guess that's why it works so well.

I think for a similar reason to what you mentioned the movie version Motoko is still my fav. Something about the cold, more detacthed version of her including the voice dub just appeals to me.
Luke

Post by Luke »

So as I said I have started reading the first manga. Decided to take it to work today and read on my break. A few pages from where I last finished and hello full on lesbian threesome, in colour no less :oops:
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Haha...the infamous yacht scene. In light of Masamune Shirow's more recent works, that bit is actually tame.
Digital_Muesli

Post by Digital_Muesli »

Mi first contact with Motoko and GITS universe was through the Masamune Shirow comics, so,that's my reference. In my opinion comic is more obscure, distopic and chaotic, concepts that for me are associated to what's called Ciberpunk.

Nevertheless i think that every Gits universe/Motoko's incarnation adds some new enriching shades to the whole history (more mechanized and android-like characters in movies, less experienced in Arise...).

It's great to see her can-opening tanks with her bare hands but personally I like to see a more vulnerable and naive Motoko (maybe younger?) and her growing process. I liked very much first Arise episode with a confused and not so self-confident Motoko.

Regards.
Luke

Post by Luke »

I'm deffo going to watch all of Arise, I think my initial dissapointment has worn off enough now and it is good to see Motoko getting knocked about a bit and not being the kick ass character we know from old as this allows more development and realistic growth.

From the manga so far, the character is certainly more comedic and irratic while still showing the surety and intelligence seen in SAC/the Movies etc