General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

THYREN

Which Motoko`s design do you like best?

Post by THYREN »

This image pretty much sums up the question:

Manga / 1st Movie / SAC

2nd GIG / Arise

I still like the one from the 1st season of SAC better (which is not as different with 2nd GIG as we see it here.)

What about you guys?
Last edited by THYREN on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Guess I'll always have a fondness for the original manga version--but looking at the comparison, she does have very big '80s-style hair, doesn't she? :)

Second to that, it'd either be the first film version or 2nd Gig. The design sense is just so totally different, it's hard to choose between them.
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

The 3 central ones look like the same character - I get a sense form the eyes of sameness.

Is top right 1st Gig? I didn't recall her being that different. That face is far more pointed than I recall. (Time to watch it again!)

Really looking forward to the new one
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
rednotdead

Post by rednotdead »

I like the second two the most: the 1995 film Motoko has a no nonsense, realistic quality that I appreciate, while the third (is that from 2nd gig, SAC, or SSS?) is the most refined take on the original manga version.

I like the original manga Motoko too, the style is appealing to me though I am not sure how I'd feel if they animated it. Maybe it'd be fine.

As I whined in another thread, the new ARISE Motoko really irritates me. Just looking at the face though, its not that bad, bright blue wig-like hair aside.
"Your flesh is a relic, a mere vessel. Hand over your flesh, and a new world awaits you...

We demand it."

- The Second Renaissance,
The Animatrix
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

The one from the 1995 Oshii movie. I think she looks the most relatable.
Second is a tie between Manga kusanagi and ARISE kusanagi. Granted it's tough for me to judge without thinking of her persona as well as her visage.

The original movie Motoko was gold though. Through and through.

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

rednotdead wrote:I like the second two the most: the 1995 film Motoko has a no nonsense, realistic quality that I appreciate, while the third (is that from 2nd gig, SAC, or SSS?) is the most refined take on the original manga version.
The third is from the 1st season of SAC. I should have added the details in my original post :oops: This is now fixed :wink:
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

I like her look in the 1995 movie the best

Because, is radiates the sense that she knows that she is a cyborg, and that she is aware of it every day, and the cold look in her eyes symbolizes that much at least