Gits becoming real(cyberbrains and external memory)

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

So if possible would you get a cyberbrain or/and external memory?

Yes
59%
No
10%
Possibly
31%

Total votes: 29

Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Lightice wrote:There are plans to have androids in various customer service jobs in Japan, where the population is quickly aging, but hasn't lost their inherit distrust towards foreign workforce. They'll propably start as novelty tourguides, waitresses and such and them become an annoyance in banks, train-stations and other places that require customer service but are reluctant to pay enough to have it done well. In later times they may become the household servants of the new age, as well.

Android technology can be expected to push cybernetic implant technology forward, too, as well as other way round and as the artifical intelligence develops, the line may become quite blurred, indeed.
That article already said there was an android receptionist. I can't imaging an android working at a store in Japan. Too many college students need part-time jobs. But who knows.

"I-RA-SHAI-MA-SE" (in robot voice)
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

meh, i must admit there would be a cool novelty value but humans will always be cheaper and more easily replacable.
to quote red dwarf "the only reason they don't give this job to the service droids is they got a better union than us" :)
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Jeni Nielsen wrote: That article already said there was an android receptionist. I can't imaging an android working at a store in Japan. Too many college students need part-time jobs. But who knows.

"I-RA-SHAI-MA-SE" (in robot voice)

They already have a lack of those cute elevator girls they used to have in all big departement stores. As the nation ages, there'll be more jobs without enough people to take them - especially the ones, that people associate with good looks. If I had to bet which country will have largest robot (and android) population in 2030, Japan and South-Korea would be on the top of the list.

meh, i must admit there would be a cool novelty value but humans will always be cheaper and more easily replacable.

Lots of things are "always" until they suddenly are not, any more. We are fooling ourselves by believing, that any aspects of the current situation remain the same, for any length of time. There will propably be a time, when robots are cheap and advanced enough to take over most of the manual labour, as well as service jobs.
Once they start getting in the creative jobs, though, the term "robot" will no longer be appropriate.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Simply put, absolutely! :)
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Donshonto

Post by Donshonto »

After reading the first novel of GitS I'd be VERY interested in receiving cyberbrain implants. Maybe not to the intent of batou, because not being able to dream sucks and being have to be aware of all your bodily functions, uggh.

I believe one day it will become a reality, one thing I'll probably never do, is a consciousness transfer, simply because I'd be paranoid of being replaced by a perfect copy. However, I think such transfers would be an impossibility.
AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

If it hasnt ben mentioed theres already someone with a one way brain implant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain-computer_interface
It allows him to control his computer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Nagle
If this is linked with project cyborg
http://www.kevinwarwick.com/ Disable people could ket there lives back and shirows vision will come true.
I so wish i could win the lottery id give 1 million to let someone have mobility back.
As to the poll id love one, id then beable to rember names and passwords
(public keys could be stored in the implants and no one could read them without ghost hacking an implant.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

ESSAY ALERT!! ;)

I would utilise cyberbrain and prosthetics technology if it was available and of a relatively low risk, and held distinctive advantages. I, for example, find reading the printed word a hardship. In the future (this is looking a long way on, but it's something that GiTS has touched on) cyberbrains could allow for vastly improved text and visual recognition, allowing you to absorb a novel in only a few hours or even minutes, and even read in greatly more dense blocks of data in 2D barcode that could be locked with an encryption key. For the sake of example, a Manga might take up 4 sheets of A4 size paper but contain the pictures and words from an entire volume. Potentially you could even 'read' a movie, then play it back in your brain.

I also have a minor motor skills dysfunction that means I can't write words down correctly, even when I type them on a computer. Letters are often skipped or in the wrong order, even if I consciously look at what I am typing, or writing. I have typed words out like a dummy one letter at a time before now and still missed out a letter without realising. Such problems are usually attributed to problems with co-ordination between the limbs and the brain. This would be another quite common human frailty that could be eliminated by suring up synaptic pathways from the brain to the muscles, ensuring that such 'glitches' did not occur.

More severely disabled people could obviously benefit, being given the ability to use prosthetics to replace lost or non-funtional limbs, have sensory augmentations, or if the technology of GiTS truly comes to pass, side-step terminal illness or crippling disorder or injury by having their ghost loaded to a completely artificial body.

Of course all of the above points raise valid ethical and moral issues. Is it not our individual nuances, including our dysfunction, that make us who we are? To some this is an obvious disadvantage, to others it is the opposite. I believe this will as GiTS intimates create great divides in mankind's society, with factions believing that computers are for the desktop not the human body. I fall on the side of cyberisation myself. I have always seen advantage and intrigue in modern computer technology, but am frustrated by rudimentary human interfaces that do not allow a true human connection to the technology at hand, and with computers becoming so rapidly advancing in both power and function around us the need for more efficient and effective interaction becomes more pressing.

All in all I do believe Shirow's vision of the world of the near future where this level of technology exists is relatively accurate. The time scale is shall we say a little optimistic, but even so people laughed at the thought of every computer being connected to a global network 25 years ago, and when the first personal mirco-computers were produced in the mid-to-late 1970s everyone brushed them off as geek toys that wouldn't catch on...
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...