Gits becoming real(cyberbrains and external memory)

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

So if possible would you get a cyberbrain or/and external memory?

Yes
59%
No
10%
Possibly
31%

Total votes: 29

shawndow1

Post by shawndow1 »

Id wait for the tecknology to b oerfected, wouldnt want cyber brain scrosis
Jade Peat

Post by Jade Peat »

I'd do it.

I actually don't necessarily want all the stuff shown in GitS. What I'd like right now is that pointer thing they've been able to do with monkeys in real life (they implanted a monkey with some wires in its brain and trained it to move a mouse cursor just by thinking), and I think also they did something similar with a boy, except I don't think anything was implanted...they just used electrodes placed on his skin to monitor his brain waves, and a computer program to decode them. I'm 23, but I work in IT so I'm always using my hands, and I'm developing some stupid problem with my right (mouse) hand. I'm kinda scared to think how bad it might be in a few years, much less when I'm actually old. If I could just wire my computer to my head just enough to move the mouse cursor, or maybe input some text, I'd be happy as a clam.

I'm more ambivilant about external memory...on one hand, humans have been using it since the advent of writing (what do you think a book is but "external memory"?), and I regularly put things in files on my computer to remember them so I don't have to remember them in my biological brain, but hooking up a flash drive or something directly to my head is something else. I don't think we really have the power source for that kind of stuff, yet. One of the problems with technology is that...we can do things, but the technology to store power in batteries hasn't increased proportionately. So we have nifty things like laptop computers, but they only run for a few hours on battery. Why wire something into your head when you'd have to plug yourself in every night? If we had an acceptable power source, then it'd be different, but as it is, batteries now days suck.
shawndow1

Post by shawndow1 »

dint u know, they feast off the electrons and nuerons fireing all around in your brain. So no batteries needed
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

I posted this in the optical camo thread, but its cool enough to give another nod to it here. (at least I think it is.

It is military tech allowing you to "see w/ your tongue"

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/04/24/tong ... index.html
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

No to a cyberbrain (yuck!); yes to external memory! If that is at all possible. I think it could be, if you go about it in a strange way. I want a (perfected) biological body with (perfected) biological backups, and a perfect biological brain with backups (electronically in a satellite somewhere?). And for their to be some kind of cool unintrusive technology that links all that together.
Vince

Post by Vince »

First post here, I like this topic:

I voted yes mainly for Metaphysical and Aesthetic purposes. The greatest possible advantage of a cyberbrain would be two-fold. The first would be obviously being able to simply 'plug in' and control technology, from a computer to a vehicle. The second would be the ability to retain information. This is extremely important, you could go to any source (most likely the internet) and in a few moments be able to retain the entire knowledge of virtually anything from the entire history of U.S. wars and covert knowledge, to operating a firearm effectively, to the knowledge of any political leader... so long as it is available. This could swing votes, this could do so much for our society, so long as free will is still maintained on the net.

Then you have 'Ghost-Dubbing' where you simply save all of your collected memories, and the one day fully Cyberized bodies are made a clone can then be processed. Sort of like how one can have their body (or parts thereof) preserved and rejuvenated and/or cloned.
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Question about the concept of external memory in Gits SAC
Dont they also refer to Books computers etc as external memories?

If I am understanding them right, Boy do I have the external memories in my back room library!

Also, the Cyberbrain thing, they mention Togusa is mostly human except for having a cyber brain. Where do they put it? Or is it just some tiny chips enabling you to link up to the giant net?
Tonks_kittygoth

Android!

This is a link to a real live(?) android from Japan!

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID ... 01&ref=rdf
douyang

Post by douyang »

I heard about this one before. I'm surprised top learn they have robot dog pets and even a robot receptionist in Japan right now. Pretty awesome stuff.
Ganta

Post by Ganta »

I don't think that it's possible to replace a whole brain, and that most people wouldn't like the idea respectively. The fact that surgery is needed, that at least a small hole has to be drilled into your skull, is a big hindrance. That's more of an psychological issue, but if it's not accepted, then there is no mass market potential. It's not only about (superior) technology, but also about marketing , fashion and so on.

In my eyes, the future would be small enhancements that improves your every day life in a much better way than a handled device could. Superimposing a clock into your field of view (or just "knowing" what time it is") would be a neat feature, but it's much easier just to look at your watch. A dictionary would be a more reasonable application. Sure, you could use a palmtop if you're eg just a tourist. But it would be embarrassing to use this in professional business talks.

On the other side there would be a "trend" factor. To be cool, you need the possibility to boast about your new gadget. But how cany you show off what's inside your brain? I remember a paragraph in a Shadowrun novel, where some people sat in a corner of a coffee shop mumbling to themselves. They were either using implanted cell phones, or they just pretended to using one to be cool (like using a dummy cell phone)! I could also imagine dummy plug-in ports visible at your neck. Teens glueing plastic ports on their necks to show off, liek fake tattoos or piercings :D

One application I would like to see would be a kind of universal remote control (inspired by the article about the apes). Imagine your thoughts could be transfered into radio signals (personal encrypted). With one implant, you could control all kind of things: TVs, answering machines, your automatic curtains, car doors, vending machines, personal computers etc.

Your implant would be universal because you wouldn't need to update the hardware. The receiving device would just have to learn what thought or imaginary gesture you associate with a certain action. Imagine you could get this kind of telekinesis or thought control for 2000$ !
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Android number two got finished in South-Korea, a little while ago. Neither the Japanese nor Korean doll-girl still can walk and they aren't really all that life-like yet, but they are advancing quickly. I wouldn't be all that surprised if they were commonplace just ten years from now.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Decoy

Post by Decoy »

I suppose it just takes too many sensors and motors to keep the 'bot balanced. How long ago was it that Asimo first started walking "on it's own"?
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot further with a smile and a gun." Al Capone
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

If it's walking you want in your androids check this out
he doesn't just walk ..he struts! woo ...ahem back to topic :)

all the elements needed for a real life walking talking livin' doll/android are already in use from the external appearance right down to the 'creative thinking from new concept AI'(someone needs to find a shorter way of saying that). The only obstacle is getting everything small and light enough to intergrate into one system. What i would ask is why anyone would need an android? humanlike robotics are only really useful as a way of pushing the tech limits or as corperate bragging art..
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Tonks_kittygoth

would ask is why anyone would need an android?
Cause its coool/creepy.

I dont know, probably they are mostly working on ideas of how to make cyborgs eventually. Also the point made in the I robot movie, ( :oops: I didnt read the books yet :oops: ) that it would be super helpful for the elderly. That stillwouldnt have to be android, though. So yeh maybe it is more for coolness factor.

I always think of "Westworld" the movie. Remember that? they used to show it on tv all the time when I was little. The robots try to kill everyone, I forgot why actually.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

There are plans to have androids in various customer service jobs in Japan, where the population is quickly aging, but hasn't lost their inherit distrust towards foreign workforce. They'll propably start as novelty tourguides, waitresses and such and them become an annoyance in banks, train-stations and other places that require customer service but are reluctant to pay enough to have it done well. In later times they may become the household servants of the new age, as well.

Android technology can be expected to push cybernetic implant technology forward, too, as well as other way round and as the artifical intelligence develops, the line may become quite blurred, indeed.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!