I'm a Fool To Want You

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

marto_motoko

I'm a Fool To Want You

Post by marto_motoko »

For anyone who's read After the Long Goodbye, you know that on more than one occasion this masterful piece by Lee Morgan is mentioned, more specifically in Batou's dreams.

I just read the book while listening to this song loop. Honestly, once you entrance yourself within the storyline, even the scene where

SPOILER!!!!!!________________

...Batou's car crashes, and he's nearly killed becomes something very ethereal, creating an atmosphere completely parallel yet different enough from its more-than-direct sequel (the novel ends with Batou receiving a call to go to a crime scene, suspect - a gynoid with two cops dead and one other murder victim).

_____END SPOILER!!!!_________________

The song which was used is a rather energetic for its genre song, completely capturing the sentimental and rather lethargic heartbeat that courses through the morose blues that one might expect to find in an old cafe in the very heart and shadow of a city. A trumpet steadily climbs and claws into a wailing melody of the broken heart, outlining and dancing around the much slower, and often abruptly ascending piano, which usually stumbles to a quick and powerful end, giving way to the trumpet's beckoning once more.

I don't know who chose that song, whether it was Masaki Yamada, or Mamoru Oshii, but the individual should be greatly commended on their superb choice. The songs embodies the mood of both Batou as a person, the rather surreal, dilatory world, and the dispirited and heavy-hearted emotions that follow the reality we're subjected into.

:) Mmmmm I love that book!

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

YOu know, I'm gonna have to reread my copy. It has been a while, and I sorta forgot what was all in it. I know I liked it better than the S.A.C. paperback novels....

I'm gonna hafta get the song too.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

GhostLine wrote:YOu know, I'm gonna have to reread my copy. It has been a while, and I sorta forgot what was all in it. I know I liked it better than the S.A.C. paperback novels....

I'm gonna have to get the song too.
hmm.....I might be able to just put it on megaupload or something for you. I'll go do that right now.

As for the book, it was great. There was that

SPOILER:

battle scene where Batou fights the tank at the end that just dripped with sentimental value for anyone who had strong attachment for the movie Motoko, and the first movie in general. The story all-together was a very beautiful blend of the Hong-Kong atmosphere, that damp and decadent metropolitan colossus that Oshii created in the first film, and the elaborate, very retro-meets-metropolitan future visage that graced the beautiful face of Innocence. :)

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?