Pro or Against GiTS Live-Action Adaptation?

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Are you for, or against the creation of a live-action Adaptation of Ghost In The Shell?

Yes! Live-action would improve GiTS immersion etc.
6%
Sure. I've been waiting for more GiTS content.
12%
Maybe. We'll see how it turns out.
41%
No. A live-Action Adaptation would only hurt GiTS's rep.
41%

Total votes: 34

marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Epiphany wrote:That scene was the one that shows that she is still human more than any other. The rage in her shows that no matter how cyberized she is there is still a living persons soul locking inside all those parts.

She has always done somethings that are kind of creepy :twisted: The first time I ever saw her she was assassinating a diplomat. So it seems she has ending life. then she faught off a tank to save a cyberbrain.

I guess we should have started a new thread for this topic

Motoko's a scary lady regardless. Even the very first scene of SAC in first episode was kind of eyebrow-raising.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

the cool thing about motoko is that one can never figure her out...i hope they keep that in the live-action. no one really knows her modus operandi.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

GhostLine wrote:the cool thing about motoko is that one can never figure her out...i hope they keep that in the live-action. no one really knows her modus operandi.
She always reminded me of a machine more-so than a person.

I think that's what I like about her most - she contradicts her position quite greatly, by being the least human of the crew, yet showing the strongest emotional light.

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

lol, somehow I'm still a registared member...

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

Hi all, *waves*
Haven't been on here a million years...or like 2...

Anyways,

Personally I think Spielberg kinda blows as a director. Too slick.

I do agree with the other forum that Ridley Scott would be amazing, if they dumped a truck load of money in front of his house they might convince him.... but probably not...

However.... a director that stays faithful to, if not always the word of his creations, the spirit, is Guillermo del Toro.....
Robert Rodriguez also and then there is always Peter Jackson...who is fab at getting the casting right for his works.

I agree with whoever said they hope its not a regular Hollywood cast.
Most popular actors have lost the art of Character acting, and only play themselves.

One thing that gives me hope is that er..60---80% of the recent comic book based movies out of the Marvel camp as well as Batman Begins have been pretty darn good. (Mr. Nolan wouldn't be too shabby either....)

I think that you all nailed it when you were pointing out the Motoko is scary, they need to find an actress who can pull that off. Someone you would believe just may blow you head off , or pull it off....

Ill have to think about that....

One thing that might be interesting is if they use the Beowulf technique...
I don't know what they call it, but sort of animated live action.

Whatever they end up with though.... They would be Fools not to use Yoko Kanno for the music!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Damnd of Hell

hello

Post by Damnd of Hell »

One of the problems with live action film, is that internal dialoge does not translate over from book or anemie. Stephan King is one of the greatest examples. His books rarely carry over to film, due to his characters and his writing style being mostly internal dialog.

Underworld is another one. Please don't misunderstand, I believe that Underworld and it's sequal are the best werewolf/vampire movies since American werewolf in London. But if you read the books, you'll discover more to the story, because the actors cannot carry over that inner dialog.
It does not matter wheather one belongs to the upper or lower ranks. If you have not placed your life on the line, at least once, there is cause for shame.
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

I agree with the Steven King part. I love reading his work but once it hits film it turns to garbage...The closest one to the book was the original Salems Lot.

I liked the Vampire /Werewolf fight in Van Helsing...It had a very Anime feel to it.

But I also think GITS Live Action film is a huge mistake. Like the first Batman movies were. It wasn't until the last one that they came close to capturing the true spirit of the character.

Steven Spielberg will probably spend more time and effort making the toys to sell at Wal-Mart than the film itself
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
gareth

Post by gareth »

Hi,

Just to knock the whole discussion back a few months, I have to say that I hate the thought of a GITS live action movie stylistically resembling the Matrix - it seems that lots of people are using this as a reference point because it was clearly influenced heavily by GITS, but then it also became an entirely separate entity in its own right.

I say this because the foreignness of the original film was one of the things which attracted me to it in the first place. Although the story developed out of the cyberpunk movement, it had somehow been de-westernised, which was very attractive to me at the time. I don't see a live action film capturing the alienation I experienced when watching the anime for the first time. The characterisation seems too specific to be matched or improved upon by adaptions.

Sorry to sound so pretentious, but I think that anything other than the original GITS will seem like just a crass approximation to me.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

I agree, I wouldn't want that either. I love The Matrix for what it is and stylistically it's an amazing concept, but it's not GiTS, not by a long shot.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Been lurking a while. This thread made me come out of hiding...

No one mentioned the horror yet... "in - 3D"

Each of the previous incarnations manga/movie/series changed a little of the characters and the story. But some elements remained the same (exploration of what it means to be human etc...) So I would expect any new adaptation to also change something, but oh dear God.... 3D?
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

If you have a fear of crappy 3D anime then I suggest watching the two recent Appleseed movies. They are supremely well carried off and don't lose the Anime feel while looking absolutely beautiful. I'd totally dig a GiTS movie if they did one using the same technology. If you look into the later productions such as SAC and Innocence, a lot of the non-human characters are already rendered using 3D Modelling, they are just rendered in such a way as to appear in 2D cell art. I think you are right, 3D would alter slightly everyone's perception of the characters just as SAC has done, but done right it'd be a logical move forward IMHO. The technology and techniques exist no to make really nice 3D movies, and anime is a logical medium as it's already in the thought patterns of non-live-action. It'd certainly be a lot easier, and cost effective, than a live action adaptation.

It wouldn't exactly be much of a leap to go fully 3D. It would have to be done carefully, but Production IG always do things carefully :)
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
gareth

Post by gareth »

In a sense all the discussion related to the look of the film makes me think that this project is less centered around advancing the concept of the film than adapting it for a slightly different audience. While I don't doubt that the film will be impressive visually (judging from Production IG's track record,) what will the people like us who are not new to the series gain from watching it?

I don't mean to come across as totally against this project, just questioning!
runslikeapenguin

Post by runslikeapenguin »

i joined just to chime in on this topic. :)

i would have to say that the money required and the technology to produce the ghost in the shell film can be had by a person such as Spielberg, however its not the money we have to worry about here, its the quality of what hes going to make that we have to worry about. it seems to me that someone would be hard pressed to make a film as in depth and ground breaking as GITS when you were not the person who spawned the original idea. does Spielberg actually understand this show he insists hes a fan of or is he just attempting to cash in on someone elses ideas. i seriously pray that Spielberg does not botch this by attempting to make it into something else entirely. which is what i feel is going to happen, hes just going to take the characters and turn it into some kind of no holds barred 2 hour long gun battle. which is exactly what the movies and the shows have not been about, its been about politics, philosophy, its the story of the ghost in the majors shell, the entity that the major eventually becomes in the end.
and in regards to the 3D, im hoping to god that its nothing like the opening credits of the first season of the show, i hated how that looked. what would be pretty sweet though is if they just directly translated the original movie just about word for word scene for scene. then we don't have to worry about anything being lost in translation like how Wong Kar Wai's first movie made here in the US was, good but not the same. we dont have to worry about to much creative license being taken; and the only thing that would be hard to do would be to find someone to play the major, someone who could fill not only the mental boots of Motoko but her rather tight uniform.

in short
i believe that the only way they cant screw this up by making it in 3D would be if they turned it over to the Blizzard team.
and the only thing worse than this movie being a total bomb that ruins ghost in the shell, is it being a total success of a movie that ruins the face of ghost in the shell because of the band wagoners that are going to latch onto this all over the place. like the retarded frat boys that all loved 300.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Saito wrote:If you have a fear of crappy 3D anime then I suggest watching the two recent Appleseed movies.
No, those are not 3D.... They may be rendered in 3D inside some computer somewhere, but by the time you see it, they are plain of 2D.

3D is that crappy stuff like "Jaws 3 in 3D" or "Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone"
gareth

Post by gareth »

I'm not sure Spielberg would turn the film into a two hour battle scene, but obviously a big budget production needs some kind of mass appeal that perhaps the original didn't have.

It's hard to imagine what anyone could bring to the film apart from a different visual perspective.
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Here are some news:

Variety reported last April that Spielberg's enthusiasm for a remake of Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell cyber-police manga was a pivotal reason why the manga's publisher (Kodansha) chose to work with Spielberg's DreamWorks company on this other remake project.

The Hollywood Reporter newspaper noted last week that the Ghost in the Shell remake project remains at DreamWorks despite DreamWorks' corporate separation from its longtime distributor, Paramount Pictures.

Paramount would still have the option to co-finance and co-distribute the Ghost in the Shell remake if it goes forward.
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?