Pro or Against GiTS Live-Action Adaptation?

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Are you for, or against the creation of a live-action Adaptation of Ghost In The Shell?

Yes! Live-action would improve GiTS immersion etc.
6%
Sure. I've been waiting for more GiTS content.
12%
Maybe. We'll see how it turns out.
41%
No. A live-Action Adaptation would only hurt GiTS's rep.
41%

Total votes: 34

mirrormirror

Post by mirrormirror »

Until I see more information about it I'm going to remain optimistic rather than speculate the magnitude of suck it COULD be. So until then I'm just going to keep my ears perked for the cast list or a teaser trailer.

P.S. Lets hope Michael Bay doesn't hear about this project. The guy needs to learn how to keep the camera still instead of rattling it around all the time. It gives me a headache and leaves me with the impression that the cameraman has Parkinsons disease.
The Ego, the Self, perhaps even a Soul.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

THYREN wrote: As for the scenario ... well... let`s keep our fingers crossed and hope that Shirow will be involded. :wink:
I think I'm about to be shot, but as good as MMI's story was, it was almost babble-licious, with minimal coherence. I love it, but that's because I'm a fanatic, but I think Shirow did a shit job on making MMI comprehensive.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

mirrormirror wrote:Until I see more information about it I'm going to remain optimistic rather than speculate the magnitude of suck it COULD be. So until then I'm just going to keep my ears perked for the cast list or a teaser trailer.

P.S. Lets hope Michael Bay doesn't hear about this project. The guy needs to learn how to keep the camera still instead of rattling it around all the time. It gives me a headache and leaves me with the impression that the cameraman has Parkinsons disease.
He did better than Matt Reeves did in Cloverfield. You need an Airsick bag to sit through that. :oops:
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

someone told them that young people have short attention spans and like videogames, so now every film they make has to swing the camera about like you're in a first person shooter. pfft.. old people :roll:

although in a michael bay film it may be to distract the audience away from the lack of a storyline.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

if you look at the matrix, that is probably a good example of how a GITS film would be made
I seriously DO NOT need to see a GitS that will just look like it is copying The Matrix to everyone. The Matrix look is done- it was done before the blasted Matrix did it, for heaven's sake. And really who wants to see it go round in such a predictable "GitS -> Matrix -> GitS again" circle? Not I. Personally I found the feel of The Matrix both innovative and kind of shallow at the same time. I don't need to see another overly glossy, gothy action film. All action films look like this nowadays... how about something really original? Like how The Fifth Element had a really original, fresh look to it for that type of film (I am not actually a fan of the film and it's story myself, but there's no denying the look for it was fresh and very nice on the eyes)? I'm not great enough to know what a brand new look that's perfect for GitS should be, but I do think there should be one if people love and respect this franchise that much, not just something derrivative (even of itself).
No, no, and no. I'm sorry, but Motoko, at least for me, would have to be a character that is not well known from other films. I don't want to associate the Motoko character with any other character portrayed in a different movie by the character.
Indeed.
As well as the fact that Transformers never had much substance to it anyways. PROVE ME WRONG!
Maybe substance is the wrong word. But the original Transformers had FUN, lots of corny Transformer dialogue, and buckets of individual personality in each of the robot characters. And more distinctive looks for each one, and a cooler cast of robots. It's not hard to take the Starscream/Megatron thing, the Soundwave thing, or Jazz, Inferno and Red Alert and... well... run with it into something that could pass for an endearing script. These new version Transformers were not endearing at all (not even design-wise), and I think that's the big difference when you are handling a beloved kids' property. The new movie Transformers do not look like something I want to go out and buy and play with (if I was still 12, lol)- not like the cartoon ones did. Although Barricade was alright for his 5 minutes in the spotlight ^_^. It also did not have an annoying human boy it focused on (it had Spike, but he was neither annoying, nor terribly "typical teen boy", nor the major focus). It's all about getting a few tiny things right to give fans of something treasured in childhood what they expected to get. I don't think it was unfair of former kids who played with the toys and watched the cartoons, or of casual movie-goers who don't know the franchise well, to expect a fun family action film with a little bit of charm and substance. Transforming robot characters should be charming, darn it! Why do you think it was so popular with kids in the 80s in the first place? There were many other cartoons competing with it, but children latched on to Optimus Prime and company for some reason other than "little boys like cars" or "all kids like fighting robots!"
Dreamworks has acquired the rights to Ghost in the Shell. And they're planning a '3D live action' film. And it looks like Steven Spielberg will be tacked onto the project.
Ah- in that case they are totally setting this thing up to compete with Cameron's family-friendly version of Battle Angel in 2009. So predictable. I don't know, it may be good predictable instead of bad predictable. As to having nudity in it (Marto mentioned something about that)... that's a bad angle. I think that's an angle for getting it more Hollywood-esque (it'll be "let's gawk at the bod of the hot actress playing the Major!). It works better in animation because it's more acceptable and less easy to get awkward or mixed message with. Or wait... since this is CG maybe it would be okay. Hey, if it was live it'd look really surreal with the parts... you know, not there, lol.
I would say this may eliminate poor casting calls if they go with the actual voice actors we are all used to, which I hope they do.
Ah yes! What a nice idea! Richard Epcar as Batou in a live action film is so working for me ^_^ ! As for Motoko... I've no idea what Mimi Woods looks like and it seems she's dropped out of voice acting (probably because of how unecessarily, unfairly completely mean for no good reason everyone was about her performance in GitS), but I did so love her voice as the original dub Motoko. I think a number of alternative voices would work... it honestly depends on how this version of the character is written as to what voice would suit her. (Perhaps a nice English accent? LOL XP!) I would expect the feel of this new Motoko to be different to Oshii's Motoko, so there's a certain leeway there (is she going to be a little warmer and more personable? Or cold and logical?)
Silent Hill... not a movie I watched, but totally panned by general audiences for lack of any decent coherent storyline
I haven't seen it or played the games (because every time I saw reviews of the games they just looked completely disgusting and gross-out... maybe they were only using the really sick parts or something). However, both the girls I know who saw the film but hadn't played the games thought the film was pretty good and interesting. They probably qualify for being "general audiences", I don't know; but they and their friends seemed to like it.
I think I'm about to be shot, but as good as MMI's story was, it was almost babble-licious, with minimal coherence
Then I can be shot with you because MMI disappointed me a bit also. It was all over the place, not really the GitS sequel I wanted, but nonetheless an influential work and a fascinating experiment in art (worth buying for that reason very much). The film taking some inspiration from the look might be nice? I think Innocence took a really really subtle hint from it with it's beautiful vibrant splashes of exotic colour, perhaps (will you ever forget that shade of blue in your life?).

Oh yeah! This is posting marathon madness fun for me!!!
Chesire Cat

Post by Chesire Cat »

I can't make a fair judgment until I actually see what they're up to. However, it's still hard to not be the least bit concerned on how this whole thing will turn out. Even barring all unfounded biases against modern Hollywood films, you just get this bad feeling that a live action film would only kill the integrity of a classic such as Ghost in the Shell. It's happened one too many times before.

Obviously, no matter how popular an anime GITS is, it will have to be made more appealing to a much larger fan base now that it is headin for the big screens. The material will have to be manipulated quite a bit to achieve this (it's a necessary condition). But, HOW they go about it will determine whether this will turn out to be a faithful but entertaining reincarnation, or just some cheesy, over the top, and significantly dumbed down bastard of the original. A big part of this rests on creative license, and the personal interpretations of the producers. Cross your fingers.

Safe enough to say, the aftermath will either put GITS on the map, or drive it into the ground. Oh well nothing we can do about it now. The voice of optimism says Hollywood does cough up some pretty good adaptations once in a while, so for that I guess I'll just try to keep my hopes up. :?
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/php ... p?p=561334
Here what another board is saying about the subject....
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

GhostLine wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/php ... p?p=561334
Those people's stupidity depressed me.

I'll go sit under the shower with my clothes now, while scrubbing my arms with metal sponges in order to rip off the dumb....

mm
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

marto_motoko wrote:
GhostLine wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/php ... p?p=561334
Those people's stupidity depressed me.

I'll go sit under the shower with my clothes now, while scrubbing my arms with metal sponges in order to rip off the dumb....

mm
I read some of that a few days ago......My God how can people think TRANSFORMERS was good......but then again "Speedracer" is still #4 in the box office :shock: So the world get wierder and wierder
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

haha.

Maybe as a gift to the body of knowledge to the internet, maybe In the Shell can produce a GitS Primer?

"Το Ευαγγέλιο σύμφωνα με Togusa"

The problem is, is that Hollywood execs are going to be just as cluless and worse...selling a product to the masses that are just as lost.

Scary times.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

GhostLine wrote:haha.

Maybe as a gift to the body of knowledge to the internet, maybe In the Shell can produce a GitS Primer?

"Το Ευαγγέλιο σύμφωνα με Togusa"

The problem is, is that Hollywood execs are going to be just as cluless and worse...selling a product to the masses that are just as lost.

Scary times.

Hollywood is just directors with no creative vision, and a bunch of druggie actors and opium-heads with no ability anymore.

Every now and then you get exceptions like Iron Man, which surprisingly are good, but aside from that, CRAP!
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Why don't we start a thread titled "hollywood is crap!". I mean, I agree with you all, but I think we get the picture now. Let's move on.
Oh well.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

simon's ghost wrote:Why don't we start a thread titled "hollywood is crap!". I mean, I agree with you all, but I think we get the picture now. Let's move on.
Haha! Man, don't rob us of our dignified urge to piss and moan! hahhaa!
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

This place is so dead, that it's hard to even piss and moan really....

We need members, honestly. :(

mm
Chesire Cat

Post by Chesire Cat »

It's difficult, but it's not like Ghost in the Shell is impossible to transfer to the big screen. I mean the story itself isn't TOO unique to recreate. As long as they incorporate some stunning visuals (which is definitely a staple for Ghost in the Shell), remain faithful to the franchise, and at least keep some of the intellect intact, it can be done. Now I don't know how likely it is that Hollywood pulls this off, but I guess there's always that iota of hope. I'm a fan too, and I'm just as paranoid as most people about how this turns out (we are entitled to be biased after all), but like I said earlier, nothing we can do now. Just cross your fingers.
For she had often seen a cat without a grin, but never a grin without a cat