Pro or Against GiTS Live-Action Adaptation?

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Are you for, or against the creation of a live-action Adaptation of Ghost In The Shell?

Yes! Live-action would improve GiTS immersion etc.
6%
Sure. I've been waiting for more GiTS content.
12%
Maybe. We'll see how it turns out.
41%
No. A live-Action Adaptation would only hurt GiTS's rep.
41%

Total votes: 34

holdenmcclure

Pro or Against GiTS Live-Action Adaptation?

Post by holdenmcclure »

Unless they aquired a very large budget, and the directors were focused on a faithfull live-action Adaptation, then I would have to say no. I believe it would most likely harm GiTS's current reputation.
Last edited by holdenmcclure on Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

Whoops, I meant to say "Adaptation" :oops: *fix'd*
H-street

Post by H-street »

if you look at the matrix, that is probably a good example of how a GITS film would be made (especially consider GITS was a part of the matrix)

even blade running is a good example of a gits type live action .

both which are great movies..

the only thing i'd fear, and much of hollywood adaptations are going this way (*cough* Transformers *cough*), is turn it into the fan service , teenage hormone, lowest common denominator type movie.. (are you going to see GITS or Motoko in a skimpy?)

infact you could do a great live action movie just focusing on 1 of the characters (batou's military back ground etc.. etc..)
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

Well, Transformers has a much larger viewer base. As well as the fact that Transformers never had much substance to it anyways. PROVE ME WRONG!
Low Expectations + High Budget = Success
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

To me, it's mainly a metter of script. If it is targeted et a larger audience or merely a remake of the first movie, it will be of no interest to me.

However, if some creative people get into the project, you could see good things happen. I don't see the necessity of a big budget though. Sure...GitS without impressive visuals would be somewhat disappointing, but I believe in the strenght of a well-written script. Remember how tarantino started out with Reservoir Dogs?
Oh well.
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Like I've said here in 2 or 3 different threads
"Starring Nicole Kidman as the Major" :mrgreen:

I like the look of it as it is. I wouldn't be happy with anyone else playing the main characters.
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

"Starring Nicole Kidman as the Major" LOL nobody is stupid enough to cast her as the Major. If she turns out like "Bionic Woman" or "Sarah Connor Chronicles", THATS what IM afraid of. Intellectual minds don't seem to be attractive features for women to mainstream media :? .
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

holdenmcclure wrote:"Starring Nicole Kidman as the Major" LOL nobody is stupid enough to cast her as the Major. If she turns out like "Bionic Woman" or "Sarah Connor Chronicles", THATS what IM afraid of. Intellectual minds don't seem to be attractive features for women to mainstream media :? .
Personally I could see Charlize Theron

Honestly look at this: PERFECT Motoko eyes. :)

http://www.insomniacmania.com/news/news_2984_1.jpg

Nicole Kidman's great, but when having to be nude (I'd prefer they kept that concept, because the symbolic value of Motoko's bare body was priceless) wouldn't work, since she IS getting older now, and she might not be as physically capable, nor ....all "up" there.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

No, no, and no. I'm sorry, but Motoko, at least for me, would have to be a character that is not well known from other films. I don't want to associate the Motoko character with any other character portrayed in a different movie by the character. I would like her to look a little more similar, but that might be as close as it's going to get.
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

hollywood is to ideas as rat poison is to your pet hampster - so no.
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

Wow, what happened to all the activity? It's as if everyone just died or something :? .
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

holdenmcclure wrote:Wow, what happened to all the activity? It's as if everyone just died or something :? .
it's like that on these boards. we have a very small, but loyal board-base, but we all got things going on....

anyhoo, i'd say...........i'm cool with the live-action, because i want more GitS, but lik everyone else...don't set it up for failure...like set Uwe Bol as director (he's the king of the video game movie makers).
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

Uwe Boll.... *shudders* I saw Bloodrayne, and I want my 2 hours back.... Oh man that was sooo bad...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

holdenmcclure wrote:Uwe Boll.... *shudders* I saw Bloodrayne, and I want my 2 hours back.... Oh man that was sooo bad...
If you think Bloodrayne was bad. Don't go anywhere near Bloodrayne 2. It actually kills brain cells :x
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

Wait a minute, why did you even see Bloodrayne 2? Shouldn't you have already been convinced of its crappiness? Maybe just for kicks I suppose haha.