Pro or Against GiTS Live-Action Adaptation?

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Are you for, or against the creation of a live-action Adaptation of Ghost In The Shell?

Yes! Live-action would improve GiTS immersion etc.
6%
Sure. I've been waiting for more GiTS content.
12%
Maybe. We'll see how it turns out.
41%
No. A live-Action Adaptation would only hurt GiTS's rep.
41%

Total votes: 34

marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

I'm just so incredibly worried about what Motoko's going to look like. Batou, easy enough, honestly...

Maybe this won't even include Motoko.... O_O

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Chesire Cat

Post by Chesire Cat »

Hmmm. I can almost imagine them casting some mainstream Hollywood actress as the Major, turning section 9 into an American faction (secret service-ish), changing the names of its members, Batou and Motoko in a sex scene just for the sake of it (or at the very least making out), and throwing in tons of cheesy cliches, and preachy dialogue.

Sheesh, the possibilities are endless. Haha! And to think that those are just a few of the horrors that randomly pop into my head whenever I think GitS Live-Action Film. :P
For she had often seen a cat without a grin, but never a grin without a cat
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Chesire Cat wrote:Hmmm. I can almost imagine them casting some mainstream Hollywood actress as the Major, turning section 9 into an American faction (secret service-ish), changing the names of its members, Batou and Motoko in a sex scene just for the sake of it (or at the very least making out), and throwing in tons of cheesy cliches, and preachy dialogue.

Sheesh, the possibilities are endless. Haha! And to think that those are just a few of the horrors that randomly pop into my head whenever I think GitS Live-Action Film. :P

....Y'know....as sickening as this'll sound, now that you mention it, how can they NOT restrain from making a random sex scene with Motoko and Batou?! They'll completely defile the sanctity of their distant relationship which is never supposed to be a awakened if they do that kind of bullshit. >: ( GAWD I'm getting angry simply thinking about it....

mm
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Hollywood defiling the sanctity :shock:

Not Hollywood they wouldn't do such a thing....Would they :roll:

I can picture a sex scene during the opening credits :mrgreen:
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Epiphany wrote:Hollywood defiling the sanctity :shock:

Not Hollywood they wouldn't do such a thing....Would they :roll:

I can picture a sex scene during the opening credits :mrgreen:

T_____T No.

mm
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

I think Kate Blanchett woukd pull off an excellent Major.

or, Kelly MacDonald

Someone who could act like they aren't living in their own skin....
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

The latter, not so much, but Kate Blanchett would be great!

mm
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Moment of random stupidity:

I might be on my own here, but does anyone else thing Keanu Reeves would make a good Togusa? He's got the sharp looks (when he bothers to shave, something I share with him for the most part ;)), he's a master of the slightly naive, rookie attitude, and he's got the appropriately floppy hair. I was thinking maybe tough cop mixed with Thomas-Anderson-like moments of not-quite-understanding.

I also think he'd be quite enthusiastic about actually being in GitS as he really did get very-much into the plot of The Matrix from a intellectual POV (yes, he does have a brain, and it's a very deep one at that), and I'm pretty sure the Wachowski bros made all the actors watch GitS (as well as read Snow Crash, Simulacra and Simulation and a few other books) so he'll already know the gig.

End of stupidity, please carry on ;)

I agree Kate Blanchett also would make a good Motoko. She's a good actress and fits the bill of being fairly stern looking and at the same time not at all unattractive.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Saito wrote:Moment of random stupidity:

I might be on my own here, but does anyone else thing Keanu Reeves would make a good Togusa? He's got the sharp looks (when he bothers to shave, something I share with him for the most part ;)), he's a master of the slightly naive, rookie attitude, and he's got the appropriately floppy hair. I was thinking maybe tough cop mixed with Thomas-Anderson-like moments of not-quite-understanding.

I also think he'd be quite enthusiastic about actually being in GitS as he really did get very-much into the plot of The Matrix from a intellectual POV (yes, he does have a brain, and it's a very deep one at that), and I'm pretty sure the Wachowski bros made all the actors watch GitS (as well as read Snow Crash, Simulacra and Simulation and a few other books) so he'll already know the gig.

End of stupidity, please carry on ;)

I agree Kate Blanchett also would make a good Motoko. She's a good actress and fits the bill of being fairly stern looking and at the same time not at all unattractive.
Sounds valid enough! I would like to see someone competent who has already had experience with the cyberpunk genre, so he could fit the bill.

Even though, to be honest he reminds me more of Proto.

mm
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

You almost have as much of a fixation with Proto as with Motoko ;)
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Saito wrote:You almost have as much of a fixation with Proto as with Motoko ;)
O_O I do? How so?

mm
Saito

Post by Saito »

I'd swear it's you that keeps bringing up things to do with Proto, maybe I'm just getting deja-vous. I'll keep my out for black cats ;)
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
GhostLine

Soundtrack

Post by GhostLine »

Now, who do you think would be a good score composer for a Live Action Soundtrack. Don' get me wrong, I love Yoko Kanno, but I Think Kenji Kawai would be better.
However, if I had an ultimate pick...I would choose Brian Eno, who did production with U2 (Zooropa) and Coldplay (Viva la vida). Eno also did the soundtrack for The Jacket a movie with Keira Knightly...awesome soundtrack! Eno is aware of GitS since he produced a song with U2 (3 Minute Warning) that was an homage to Ghost in the Shell and was installed into the roll credits of the first Oshii movie in later releases...known together as the group The Passengers (Miss Sarajevo). Yep, Brian Eno.
Saito

Post by Saito »

Brian Eno has done some pretty off the wall stuff in his time. The only place I've ever run across his work is, strangely enough, in a movie soundtrack. The soundtrack to David Lynch's DUNE film as 1 track by Brian Eno, called The Prophecy Theme, and it's absolute dynamite. It's a really haunting, flowing piece of music that sounds to be played entirely on a synthesizer. It's got no beat, no lyrics, and no rhythm, just a bloke playing a keyboard... and the way it works is just exquisite! If he can produce material in the same vein genre-wise, maybe modernized a little, then he can have GitS, it's just his kind of territory.

If you wanted something with a nice industrial edge to it to throw in as a contrast, don't overlook Trent Reznor. He's provided a good few tracks for movies and TV shows over the years, and now he's got no label he'll be looking at good ways to fill the coffers :) Not all Trent's stuff is nasty aggressive stuff either, he's an absolutely sublime piano player, and on his day can produce some soul wrenchingly good instrumentals.
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

marto_motoko wrote:Even though, to be honest he reminds me more of Proto.
:lol:

Seriously, Togusa is probably the easiest part to find. He`s the most human of them all, so I would rather see an unknown good actor than a known pseudo actor :wink:
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?