Pro or Against GiTS Live-Action Adaptation?

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Are you for, or against the creation of a live-action Adaptation of Ghost In The Shell?

Yes! Live-action would improve GiTS immersion etc.
6%
Sure. I've been waiting for more GiTS content.
12%
Maybe. We'll see how it turns out.
41%
No. A live-Action Adaptation would only hurt GiTS's rep.
41%

Total votes: 34

Amethyst

Post by Amethyst »

When i heard news of this i was like: O___O WHAT?!?!

How can they recreate something already amazing and near-perfect into a live-action movie. I think that it will ruin the repuation of the film as it is.

When it comes out i do want to go see it and i can't wait to see how it turns out. My bets is that it will be a big flop if they mess it up. It would be nice if they kept the original soundtrack too, it sets the scene and goes with the film so well.

As for actor choices i actually thought of Charlize Theron when it was mentioned to me. She's the closest looking person to the Major in the human world and has been in alot of action films.

What do you think the rating of the film will be in the UK?
M4nu3l

Post by M4nu3l »

It's gonna suck for Live-action. But luckly it's been determined to be complete CGI.
Amethyst

Post by Amethyst »

M4nu3l wrote:It's gonna suck for Live-action. But luckly it's been determined to be complete CGI.
That's a relief.

Kinda like the Final Fantasy films style hopefully.
Damnd of Hell

Post by Damnd of Hell »

Well it's going to be interesting, and see how Blood comes out as a live film. It might just be the push for the directors and producers to go ahead with the live action for GITS.
It does not matter wheather one belongs to the upper or lower ranks. If you have not placed your life on the line, at least once, there is cause for shame.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Where have you heard that it's going to be CGI?...because as far as I know it is supposed to be a live-action 3D movie...due out 2011.
Torukey

Post by Torukey »

I've heard conflicting reports. Some say it'll be CG, others say Live-action.
The way I see it is, if you totally close off your mind from the idea of it being good, then you will definitely think it's bad. If you allow your mind to remain open, there's a chance you might like it. My biggest concern right now is the voice actors/actresses, as well as Yoko Kanno's participation.
Rien

Post by Rien »

The movie has the potential to be good or bad. I would prefer it to be more focused on philosophy than action, that an indie actress plays Motoko(if they cast someone like Angelina Jolie then I won't even bother trying to watch it), and that they use Asian actors/actresses since the show takes place in Japan with all of Section 9 being officially stated as Japanese.

Since we don't live in a perfect world, I see a strong possibility of: focus on action to the point of there might not being any philosophy, mainstream American cast, and most of the promotion being on Motoko's sex appeal which will bring in the wrong kind of fans leading to a tainted fanbase, dumbing down the value of GitS.
Non conformity is an illusion for the ego.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Ugh, reminds me of the "Sandmen" - those fans of Metallica that only liked the song Enter Sandman. I wasn't that big into Metallica, but I had a friend that was a huge fan so I knew about them some before they got big.

I guess if we get that type of fan we just have to be patient with them and introduce them to the roots of the thing. The manga would be a good gateway for that I think - Shirow's original Motoko is over the top on the qualities that will be pushed in the film. And that can lead to the series and from there to the films (I think there was the most depth of character in the films)
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Rien

Post by Rien »

I don't mean to imply that I would reject those type of fans if they decided to join. In fact, I'm all about introducing people to new things if they're willing to be open minded enough and the fact I would be a complete hypocrite if I didn't; I've gotten into a lot of things for the wrong reasons then later saw what they were really about and came really enjoy/appreciate it.

I was really talking about those really vocal fans types of fans in general that make the whole fanbase look bad and turn people off from giving it a chance(I avoided Star Trek for the longest time because of "Trekkies").
Non conformity is an illusion for the ego.
Damnd of Hell

Post by Damnd of Hell »

Well I went searching and the most interesting thing is from May2010. I don't know if it was mentiond before or not but here it is.

http://ghost-in-the-shell-movie-trailer ... movie.html[/url]
It does not matter wheather one belongs to the upper or lower ranks. If you have not placed your life on the line, at least once, there is cause for shame.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

It's late 2012.

So little movement on anything GitS related. No film? No new series? I should have been more of a Lord of the Rings fan I suppose. Either that or friggin' Twilight!
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Nothing real yet - but lots of fan interest out there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVPMfzQ9tsc

Those look like good choices - except I'd like to see some Japanese actors in the roles...
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.